Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" does not turn wifi BACK ON

lulup
Tutor

"Turn off wireless signal by schedule" does not turn wifi BACK ON

After enabling "Turn off wireless signal by schedule", WIFI does not turn wifi BACK ON at the scheduled time. My time zone is correct. I have tried this with both 2.4Hz and 5Hz. same behavior - wifi will turn OFF at the start time but will not turn back on after end time. After the end time, I go look at the settings, and the two check boxes are unchecked; "Enable Wireless Router Radio" and "Turn off wireless signal by schedule". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi tooreck, 

For R8000, firmware 1.0.4.18 is the latest version. Have you tried resetting the router? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 29

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Firmware version?

Factory reset done following some major updates, and manually reconfigured the R7000 again?

Message 2 of 29
lulup
Tutor

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 - i believe that's the latest.

I'll try the factory reset later today and post my results.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 29
lulup
Tutor

OK, I did a factory reset and set it all back up (including confirming that firmware is current and the schedules are enabled) and tested it. Now, instead of it not coming back online after the period is over, it doesn't turn off at all. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 29
lulup
Tutor

Anyone have any ideas? I know there are some smart people in this forum!

Message 5 of 29
schumaku
Guru

Disable the "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" as long as the wireless is enabled - and pry it will be fixed one day. (Sorry, could not resist...).

Message 6 of 29
lulup
Tutor

Hilarious. 

How about this. If there's anyone out there willing to run a 5 minute test for me, try enabling this feature and tell me what your results are! Be sure to check the time zone settings, then enable the wifi to turn off at the next available time, and back on a half hour (or whatever) later. Did it turn off? Did it turn itself back on? Did you find some weird behavior like choosing the half hour actually breaks it, etc. If I can't get this working, I'm going to buy another device that will shut off the power to my router at night (decreasing my exposure to EMFs) and who needs one more device!

Message 7 of 29
schumaku
Guru

Can only speak for the R9000 here - Central European Time, DST enabled. 05:00pm (WT* AM/PM here?) the WLAN went down, and 05:30pm the WLAN cambe back. A few related oddites aorund the WPS LED, but this is beyond the scope here as I'm operating a Beta firmware 1.0.3.16, but reported to Netgear.

Now somebody with an R7000 please...

Message 8 of 29
lulup
Tutor

Thank you for taking the time to do that!

Message 9 of 29
tooreck
Guide

I was able to do it only be reversing the firmware toan older version. New update messed things up. See here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Newest-update-1-0-4-18-disables-quot-Turn-of...

Message 10 of 29
lulup
Tutor

Thanks tooreck! very helpful to know others can't do it either. I got frustrated and bought a device that with a remote control, I just cut the power to the router. I don't love the solution because I feel like it's probably not good for the router to just be shut off that way every day but I got tired of f*%&ing with the router settings to try and make that work. 

Message 11 of 29
tooreck
Guide

Have you tried reversing firmware to an older version? It really worked in my case and now the scheduling program is just humming and running smoothly.

Message 12 of 29
lulup
Tutor

No, I haven't tried that. I'm not willing to sacrifice the protection against Krack etc that the new firmware version supplied. I'll just use my crude solution until Netgear fixes that feature. Thanks!

Message 13 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi lulup,

I tested our R7000 and set up wireless schedule on/off. The WiFi turn back on at the scehdule time. 

Please ensure that you have the lastest firmware  1.0.9.32. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 14 of 29
tooreck
Guide

Hi Blanca,

So, what about my model (R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200)? For how long am I stuck with 1.0.4.18_10.1.49 update and that same bug?

Thanks,

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 15 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi tooreck, 

For R8000, firmware 1.0.4.18 is the latest version. Have you tried resetting the router? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 16 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi tooreck, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 17 of 29
XB
Initiate
Initiate

Hello, I'm not sure if this was answered in this thread. I had the same issue. It drove me nuts.
I discovered it was in the Time Zone settings listed under the the Advanced tab,  Security and Schedule (odd location). The bottom shows  your time zone and below that the option to  "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time". My config did not have the selected. At the very bottom it shows the actual date/time it is using.

I made the adjustment before I noticed the status line. But it is now corrected and making this adjustment.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Message 18 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi XB, 

Glad to hear that you got it working. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 19 of 29
tooreck
Guide

Hi Blanca,

Yes, I have tried resetting the router multiple times. 

Please... 

It did not work, neither did time zones because they were set correctly. This is the firmware issue. Period. 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 29
tooreck
Guide

Blanca,

I was not having access to my account to reply till now.

Of course the reset doesn't help. The reset is being done automatically after time off is set up, but I also done it manually. No difference. The firmware has a bug - it'd be great if Netgear admitted it and did something about it. Have you reported this is to the project team? Have they reproduced the issue? Is Netgear even serious about it?

Thanks...

Message 21 of 29
lulup
Tutor

UPDATE! YOU GUYS I GOT IT WORKING!

I had gotten around the problem by plugging the damn thing into a wall unit that I remote controlled and cut the power to every night before bed. That was ok but I watched this forum for better answers. found on! or really two!

One of you mentioned that the 'adjust for daylight savings time' should be checked. Did that and it was NOT checked. So I checked the box.

And I did another firmware update. (I had done this before but there was another upgrade)

One of those fixed it!

I know the daylight savings time setting is critical but Netgear may also have released a fix in the latest firmware. 

Yay!

Message 22 of 29
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi lulup, 

Thank you for your feedback.  Glad that it's working now.   

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 23 of 29
dehaven
Tutor

I own a Nighthawk X6 R8000. THIS PROBLEM IS N-O-T FIXED. There are actually three issues here:

1. BIZZARE INTERFACE: The timezone setting for the router is hidden in the blocking scheduler. But even worse than this, the router scheduler is so hidden that one may think the blocking schedule is the router scheduler. Both should be under Administration. What is advncedabout scheduling your router to turn off so that you are not blasted with RF while trying to sleep? This is a MASSIVE interfae design issue. If any at NETGEAR is listening, I am a retired programmer who used to earn a lot of money solving interface design FAILURES such as this. MOVE IT! 

2. TOTAL **bleep**DOWN. The router scheduler needs to AT THE VERY LEAST have a total software shutdown option, not just for RF. The router should be compeltely turned off by the scheduler.

3. MASSIVE BUG. How the heck does mature software like this hzve such a massive bug? The "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" unchecks iself when applying the update. I even went so far as to split my off time of 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM into two entries thinking the span across a day may be confusig the software.

I am not being critical just to hea myself speak. The truth is that when a company as large as Netgear gets this sloppy, it is indicative of problems so serious that I would divest myself of any of their stock. I challenge anyone in that company to explain to me why, even as a retired computer programmer, I must search for timezone setting and a router scheduler so that my children may sleep without 5 Ghz RF signals in the night, when they are completely unnecessary, at least in my house? Anyone? Can anyone excuse this level of sloppiness?

Just do it! Npo, I mean, Just fix it!

Message 24 of 29
dehaven
Tutor

Corrected version....

I own a Nighthawk X6 R8000. THIS PROBLEM IS N-O-T FIXED. There are actually three issues here:

1. BIZARRE INTERFACE: The timezone setting for the router is hidden in the blocking scheduler. But even worse than this, the router scheduler is so hidden that one may think the blocking schedule IS the router scheduler. Both should be under Administration. What is advanced about scheduling your router to turn off so that you are not blasted with RF while trying to sleep? This is a MASSIVE interface design issue. If any at NETGEAR is listening, I am a retired programmer who used to earn a lot of money solving interface design FAILURES such as this. MOVE IT!
2. TOTAL SHUTDOWN. The router scheduler needs to AT THE VERY LEAST have a total software shutdown option, not just for RF. The router should be completely turned off by the scheduler.
3. MASSIVE BUG. How the heck does mature software like this have such a massive bug? The "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" unchecks itself when applying the update. I even went so far as to split my off time of 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM into two entries thinking the span across a day may be confusing the software.

I am not being critical just to hear myself speak. The truth is that when a company as large as Netgear gets this sloppy, it is indicative of problems so serious that I would divest myself of any of their stock. I challenge anyone in that company to explain to me why, even as a retired computer programmer, I must search for a timezone setting and a router scheduler so that my children may sleep without 5 Ghz RF signals in the night, when they are completely unnecessary, at least in my house? Anyone? Can anyone excuse this level of sloppiness?

Just do it! No, I mean, Just fix it!

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7