Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Turn off wireless signal by schedule" does not turn wifi BACK ON

tooreck
Guide

Re: "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" does not turn wifi BACK ON

Thanks for replying and confirming this problem. I wonder if Blanca will reply to this one, or she'll only kudo some easy not-working solutions such as "rebooted my router"... She, nor any other Netgear person, will not admit they have a massive issue with this. 

Dear Blanca - the issue remains NOT SOLVED!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 29
tooreck
Guide

Dear Blanca - the issue remains NOT SOLVED! See dehaven's post - very informative.

How long will you and Netgear just sit there and look the other direction, pretending you have no issue?

Please do something about it! 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 27 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@dehaven wrote:

1. BIZARRE INTERFACE: The timezone setting for the router is hidden in the blocking scheduler. But even worse than this, the router scheduler is so hidden that one may think the blocking schedule IS the router scheduler. Both should be under Administration.

Reads very similar to my repeated complaints on the very same issue. Can't agree more. Some community members used to talk about a new UI for the Nighthawk models - but I'm concerned that would be lipstick on a pig: Unreliable dev kits from the SoC makers (with decades old Kernels, tools, and utilities), paired with some wacky vendor standardised config APIs and config storage without redundancy, without consistency testing, ... wont be any better - unless there is a complete bottom-up revision.

@dehaven wrote:

What is advanced about scheduling your router to turn off so that you are not blasted with RF while trying to sleep? 

Not sure about your concern. Mobile devices, tablets, and other IoT change to 4G (and soon 5G) if they loose the WiFi connection. Many tasks and jobs are run off-hours (There is another life of a mainframe while there are no interactive sessions, right? That's why the industry is still selling software schedulers for various environments.) And the next mobile tower, the next digital TV tower, the next digital radio, and where these remain the next FM transmitter, the near airport radar, the weather radar can't be scheduled. And all of these come in with much more energy than the WiFi. 

@dehaven wrote:

2. TOTAL SHUTDOWN. The router scheduler needs to AT THE VERY LEAST have a total software shutdown option, not just for RF. The router should be completely turned off by the scheduler. 

Doing this would require a much more advanced (read: expensive) hardware design. The physical (DC) power button has to go for example, or must be substituted by a software/logic driven button. A complete shutdown should lead to a power-off, or low-power sleep mode. Part of the system has to remain powered to run a clock and power-up as per the schedule. This does add (depending on the design) problems with regulatory requirements for systems in standby mode (like the European EUP, max 0.5W) perfectly feasible for such a small system of course. 

@dehaven wrote:

3. MASSIVE BUG. How the heck does mature software like this have such a massive bug? The "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" unchecks itself when applying the update. I even went so far as to split my off time of 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM into two entries thinking the span across a day may be confusing the software. 

Taking this that the wireless schedule does "normally" work on your R8000? It does for me on the R9000 for a while, certainly since the 1.0.4.x firmware. If this "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" unchecks itself when applying the update." is the "only" problem remaining, well, ... it's just yet another (new or old) bug. Indeed, Netgear does not make it easy to run over some obscure sub-menu sections (I still can't remember after a long time using these devices) to review the settings. 

Message 28 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@tooreck wrote:

Dear Blanca - the issue remains NOT SOLVED!  

The OP and the post marked as solved is related to the R7000.

@tooreck wrote:

See dehaven's post - very informative. 

Yes - however leaving the poor usability away, he does refer to a problem that the schedule activation is not retained over the firmware update. 

@tooreck wrote:

How long will you and Netgear just sit there and look the other direction, pretending you have no issue?

Please do something about it! 

Not sure the Netgear community people have enough power. I fear the product managers, the engineering, and the developers are living on a different planet and are working on wrong and incomplete KPIs.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7