Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

William10a
Master

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

@AngelaV wrote:
I tried to type my router number (gateway default) into the browser. It took me to Verizon and I logged in, changed my SSID, but I couldn't figure out how to change the password. It created another wifi that I can use, but it didn't change the name of my NetGear router. So that wasn't helpful.

As for the wiring, I'm connecting wirelessly. I even tried to disconnect my Verizon router from my Netgear but that still didn't fix the issue (so I reconnected).

And let me just say, I was so desperate to get this fixed that I called the NetGear customer "service". They asked me for information only to tell me that they wanted to charge me in order to help me. I already paid a bunch for this router (that works fine, I just can't change the name) and I wasn't going to pay more.

The wifi is still turn on the modem/router  not just a modem from the isp it needs to in bridge mode or wireless turned off so only the netgear sees wifi and can access.

Almost every modem supplied by a isp has  a router in it today.

Message 26 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

Yes, the Verizon is the modem/router. And I did indeed follow the order as written: everything off, turn on modem and wait a few minutes, turn on NetGear and wait a few minutes, then turn on computer.

I wanted to change the name and password because I have extenders that are already connected to the previous name. It would've made my life easier if I got the router login to work. I also have a ridiculous default password that I would prefer not to have. Especially since my parents can't even remember the last one we had.

But I'm coming to the end of my rope. I'll probably have to deal with it, which is disappointing considering how expensive this NetGear equipment was.
Message 27 of 102
William10a
Master

Please follow the logic

1= When you log in wireless you get the modem/router not the netgear router.

2= When the modem/router was install they want you to use their router as your main router (Bright House) a seprate rental fee for the modem and another if you use the router function as well which is a rap off.

3=You need only the netgear to be your wifi router so the router in your modem has to lose it's wifi.

4= If your modem is in bridge mode it's router is disable but allowing you to have the internet.

5=The biggest problem the amount of control your allowed over the modem most limit to you to just a few basic settings by your isp but they can handle the bridge mode part.

6 When the netgear router can access by wifi wired is better you set up your network the way you want it.

Message 28 of 102
Adewale
Luminary

@AngelaV,

i already gave you the solution to this problem many posts ago and a few others have also pointed you in the right direction but here goes again. From everything you have posted, the following observations are your most likely situation

a. Verizon has configured your Netgear router as an Access Point so it is not working as an independent router and the UI is not accessible by the factory IP address from Netgear or (routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com) but at the IP address supplied by the Verizon FiOS when the router was programmed as an AP

Solution

1. disconnect the ethernet cable that runs from the FiOS to the Netgear router

2. do a hard Reset on your Netgear to allow the router work as an independent router

3. Plug back the ethernet cable BUT make sure it is plug into the YELLOW jack on the back of the Netgear router

4. Connect to the Netgear router wirelessly and you should be able to access the router UI via the default IP address

Message 29 of 102
TheEther
Guru

@AngelaV

In order for routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net to work, you need to be connected to either the Netgear's Ethernet or Wi-Fi network.  Every indication is that you are not.  Instead, you appear to be connecting to your Verizon router's Wi-Fi network.  routerlogin.com/routerlogin.net won't work in this case.

Message 30 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:
I do not have iThing. I actually had to look that up cause I've never heard of it.

It is just my way of referring to iPhone, iPad or iWhatever.

Netgear isn't great at supporting iStuff, unlike Android, well up to a point, but anything with a browser should be able to get into the web interface of a modem or router. Quite how much you can do when you get there depends on the device.

Message 31 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I don't recall this being talked about, and if that's the case then that means I had no idea what you were talking about. I have zero knowledge about tech (I still don't know what you mean by UI).

Verizon told us not to screw with their router much or we could lose our internet connectivity. They said the routers were in conflict and that's why the internet went down. I don't believe what they're saying but I'm also fearful of screwing with it too much because I will be charged if something goes wrong.

For your possible solution, at what point do I attempt to go to router login? At the end?
Message 32 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I have all Apple products (iPhone, iPad, Mac, MacBook, etc...)
Message 33 of 102
William10a
Master

@AngelaV wrote:
I don't recall this being talked about, and if that's the case then that means I had no idea what you were talking about. I have zero knowledge about tech (I still don't know what you mean by UI).

Verizon told us not to screw with their router much or we could lose our internet connectivity. They said the routers were in conflict and that's why the internet went down. I don't believe what they're saying but I'm also fearful of screwing with it too much because I will be charged if something goes wrong.

For your possible solution, at what point do I attempt to go to router login? At the end?

UI means users intreface the control panel of the router.

What's  why I said the Isp could handle the modem setup part.

The modem can be placed into a bridge mode for the netgear router work as router or the netgear router has to be a access point to allow the modem's router be your router.

Have you tried a lan cable from computer to the netgear router and see if you can log in?

I know that you all apple products.

Message 34 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I tried an Ethernet cable from the NetGear to the computer and it didn't work for me.

The only thing I haven't tried is the suggestion of disconnecting the Ethernet from NetGear and doing a reset. I'm nervous that it'll mess with the Verizon router and we'll be back to where we were a few days ago (with no internet).
Message 35 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:

That's the "user interface". Usually it is the browser you use to get at things.

@AngelaV wrote:
They said the routers were in conflict and that's why the internet went down.

That's what TheEther and Adewale are saying. The two boxes are fighting for control of your network.

Everything you connect to your own network has to have a local address so that the network knows which device it is talking to. (That address is the IP Address.)

One of those boxes has to be in charge of handing out local addresses. Ideally it is the router. But if the modem thinks that it is in charge, then the router can get confused.

The link you first tried, www.routerlogin.com, is really just a local address on your network. (As Adewale says, it is usually the same things as typing in 198.162.1.1.)

The problem is that other router makers also use that address: 192.168.1.1

So, with two devices, where should the browser go when you type that in?

When everything is working as planned, those addresses will take you to the "user interface" of your router. It is just a set of web pages that let you fill in various settings. That is also where you set up the wifi SSID and passwords.

The trouble seems to be that the conflict between the Verizon Fios modem/router and the router means that www.routerlogin.com isn't pointing anywhere. Someone stuffed up the letterbox.

The conflict between the Verizon Fios modem/router and the Netgear router is why Adewale suggested disconnecting the router from the modem and then working on the router on its own.

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be conne... - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

You can do that, change any settings you want, and then plug it back into the modem.

Earlier on I explained how the modem and router might have started fighting over who is in charge. (It is down to the order in which you started things.)

I also gave you one strategy that can restore harmony to these devices:

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be conne... - NETGEAR Communities

Before you do any of those things, you'll probably have to reset the router to its factory settings. That's just a way of saying you need to tell it to forget the stuff that is confusing it.

It isn't obvious to me that you have done what is probably the simplest thing of all. Reset it to the factory settings, and then follow the instructions in the setup guide.

I have just noticed that as far as I can see you haven't said what the model number of your Netgear router is. I ask because I wanted to give you a link to the setup guide.

Message 36 of 102
William10a
Master

you should be able reset the netgear router with the lan cable disconnected from isp modem with causeing any problems.

If your internet is working and just the ssid and passphrease need to be change to what you want.

Why not call your isp  and let set them to you want that way if they mess it up they have to fix it.

I seem to recall that is what started this posting after they setup the modem and router for you.

Yes in the very first posting you tried to change your password back and get the message about the wifi.

Not passing the issue off on to someone else but the isp knows their modem/router and what changes to make it work right without making poster lose internet service. 

Message 37 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

My Internet just crashed again so I can't even access the router login anymore. I suppose I have nothing to lose now and will attempt to disconnect the cable between FIOS and NetGear and do a reset of NetGear. I'll let everyone know if it works or not.
Message 38 of 102
William10a
Master

Good luck which modem/router did you recieve from your isp?

Have they check the event log check on the modem it is a log of errors recorded on the modem it's self to see why it is dropping the internet.

Message 39 of 102
StephenB
Guru

I also use FIOS.  If you are using FIOS and their cable TV, then you need to use their router first.  Their router is providing the program guide, video on demand to their set top boxes, and is needed with their DVR.

You connect the ethernet cable from the FIOS ONT to the FIOS router's internet/wan port.  Then connect a second ethernet cable from one of the FIOS router's LAN ports to the Netgear router's Internet port.  Then connect the PC ethernet to one of the Netgear router's LAN ports.

If you have this set up correctly, then you should be able to access the Netgear router's web page by entering http://10.0.0.1 in your web browser, and you should be able to reach the FIOS router by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser.  You should also be able to reach the internet.

Using both routers back-to-back is called double-NAT.  It works, but some advanced features (like port forwarding) become more complicated to set up.  I use double-NAT myself, but if you wish you can turn off the routing features in the Netgear router by switching to "access point mode".  This means you'd use if tor wifi, but not for routing. There is a guide here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s.... I recommend getting the double-NAT setup working first though.

Message 40 of 102

Whoopee. Someone who has the right kit and knows how to use it.

Please, @AngelaV pay attention to @StephenB.

The rest of us are flailing around in the dark.

Message 41 of 102
William10a
Master

Now it makes sense from what I found on youtube the modem/router is 192.168.1.1 address and no wonder the netgear never saw the  normal address that one would use to log in to it. The new address ip address of the netgear was never shown in the youtube videos that I found on youtube.

Message 42 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

Now it makes sense from what I found on youtube the modem/router is 192.168.1.1 address 

It's not really a modem, it's a router that has a gigabit ethernet WAN connection plus a coax connection.  The coax and gigabit are bridged, and IP services are provided to the coax TV devices by the router.

There's more than one router that they use (my current one is a FiOS-G1100).   They do default to the 192.168.1.x address space, and the coax devices start at 192.168.1.100.

Message 43 of 102
William10a
Master

Todays modems are really gateways the term modem is  from the dailup days of bbs's and online when made a phone and called the computer system you were interested connecting with using audio tones over yoyr phone line the fastest speed was around 56k if lucky and the line was clear and DOS ruled the IBM and its clones yes windows 3.1 a dos shell with a gui (graphic users inferface). Even before the hard drive became standard on a computer you used  your basic oraperting system to load the program you wanted to run.

Message 44 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

Todays modems are really gateways...

I agree- the formal definition is "A gateway is a network node connecting two networks that use different protocols". What we call "modem" here fits that definition. 

But it's common in home networking to limit "gateway" to "modems+routers", and Netgear's product literature all follows that convention.

Message 45 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

We don't use Verizon for cable. We have DIRECTV.

I'll attempt your method as soon as I can.
Message 46 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

So my ONT (which, from my internet searches, is the bulky box Verizon installed on my wall) is too far from the computer to get an Ethernet cable connected. But most importantly, there's no way to connect an Ethernet cable to it. It doesn't have an opening for any cables to be connected to it. Plus, I believe my ONT is much smaller than you expected because it doesn't provide cable.

UPDATE: I miraculously got into the router login on my iPhone, through the Genie app. I changed the name and password quickly. It worked (and I couldn't go back into the setting afterward so it was pure luck). Now, the NetGear wifi just isn't working. We connect to the network but it's so slow that the connection times out. So changing the name and password, which was my original goal, has now caused the wifi to crash.
Message 47 of 102
William10a
Master

From I could find the ont could be a big box to a small box inside or outside but it be near a source of power can you take a picture and maybe find a model and make?

Message 48 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

My ONT is a small box inside of our home (in our living room), near a wall outlet. It's in the same room as our FIOS router but they're on opposite sides.

IMG_5205.JPG

Message 49 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

So I finally got around to attempting this. I did what you said (unplugged yellow Ethernet cable, held reset for 20 seconds, let it run for about 3 minutes before plugging Ethernet back into the yellow jack, connected wirelessly and went to the default IP address) and it still took me to Verizon webpage.

Let me know if I did something incorrect.

Message 50 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 101 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7