Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I am

William10a
Master

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

I would not think the ont has a thing to do with your problem all it is a device to change optic to lan and wired phone jacks and may be tv if you there tv service.

Lets get back to basic setup

1 off the ont you have your isp issue modem/router

2 your netgear router from your isp modem/router

3 you started with just being unable to access the netgear's set up pages you loged into the isp's instead

4 now you still have the first problem but also no wifi now from the post I saw

Is this where it stands?

Message 51 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

Since I reset it, the wifi works again but I still cannot log in to router login (or use the default IP) to change the name or password.
Message 52 of 102
StephenB
Guru

Just to remind you of the connectivity:

• The ONT ethernet goes to the Verizon Router's Internet Port.
  • The Netgear router's internet port is connected to one of the Verizon router's LAN ports.
  • Your PC is either connected to the Netgear Router's Wifi or to one of it's LAN ports.

Your symptom could be a result of connecting a LAN port of the Netgear router to the Verizon router by mistake.

Message 53 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I also just attempted this as well:

-Disconnected all cables on both Verizon and NetGear routers.
-Turned on Verizon router and waited until all lights lit up solid white.
-Turned on NetGear WITHOUT plugging in the Ethernet cable. I let it boot up.
-Turned on the computer and connected to NetGear network.
-The internet worked without NetGear being connected to Verizon, but the Router Login page still said I wasn't connected to the Routers wifi network and searching the default IP address in a browser simply timed out (said "Safari can't open the page" -- also tried it on Firefox and same thing happened).
Message 54 of 102
William10a
Master

saying everything is connected in the correct order are you using wifi or lan to connect the netgear router?

If lan the the netgear acting a access point the isp modem/router would answer.

Is the wireless turned off on the isp issue router?

1 a lan or tv cable to the isp router/modem to it's wan(internet) port

2 a lan cable to the netgear router wan(internet)port from a lan port on the isp modem/router

3 Any other lan cables from the lan ports of the netgear to where ever they run

4 Wifi for wireless devices from the netgear router

If both wifi's were on the same ssid and passphrease the router would close together to work on wifi even if they were 15 feet a part they would see the other router's wifi. 

Message 55 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

The only cable connected is a white cable. From "Aggregate 1" on NetGear to LAN 4 on FIOS.
Message 56 of 102
William10a
Master

@AngelaV wrote:
The only cable connected is a white cable. From "Aggregate 1" on NetGear to LAN 4 on FIOS.

That sounds like the netgear is access point not being used as a router.

The aggregate 1 and 2 are lan ports can be tied together as single port with a speed of 2gb if connect to lan card or nas servers that support's it.

So the isp modem/router see and answer the login call from the computer or other device.

Was set up that way by your isp or a mistake ?

If it meant to be a router the white lan cable should be on the wan(internet)port then not on one of the six lan ports.

Message 57 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@AngelaV wrote:

That's the problem.  "Aggregate 1" is one of the 6 LAN ports. The two "aggregate" ports can be used with an advanced feature called LACP,  so they are named differently from the other LAN ports.

It needs to go to the internet port - which should be yellow.  It's on the far left as you are looking at the back of the router.  There's a picture on page 14 of the user manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8500/R8500_UM_4jan2016.pdf

Message 58 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:

So I finally got around to attempting this. I did what you said (unplugged yellow Ethernet cable, held reset for 20 seconds, let it run for about 3 minutes before plugging Ethernet back into the yellow jack, connected wirelessly and went to the default IP address) and it still took me to Verizon webpage.

What do you mean by "the default IP address"?

If this is 192.168.1.1 then, depending on what is happening, you can end up on the control page for the Verizon modem/router or the Netgear modem/router.

192.168.1.1 is a local address. You can get there even if you cut the wires (the phone line) between the modem and the outside world.

Both makers use the same address to get at their controls. Which one you land on depends on how the network has set itself up.

Remember, what you call the Verizon webpage is probably on your network. It has nothing to do with the Internet.

If you are using that address and you get the Verizon modem's control page rather than the Netgear router's control page your Verizon modem is still in charge and it is controlling what happens on your network. So you won't be able to change whatever the Netgear router does with its wifi settings.

Message 59 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@AngelaV wrote:

So I finally got around to attempting this. I did what you said (unplugged yellow Ethernet cable, held reset for 20 seconds, let it run for about 3 minutes before plugging Ethernet back into the yellow jack, connected wirelessly and went to the default IP address) and it still took me to Verizon webpage.

...you can end up on the control page for the Verizon modem/router....

Yes, and that is happening because you connected the R8500 incorrectly..

Message 60 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:

The modem needs to be plugged into the Internet socket on the Netgear router.

After all the Verizon box is the thing that connects to the Internet. The router wants to see the Internet.

Message 61 of 102

@StephenB wrote:

Yes, and that is happening because you connected the R8500 incorrectly..

Indeed. From later messages, that may well be what is happening here .

Plug Verizon modem into Netgear Internet socket.

Message 62 of 102
William10a
Master

I'am happy for you that it was just simple error it is easy to place a cable in the wrong plug sometimes best wishes that your networks works for you.

Message 63 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I don't understand what you mean by plug Verizon Modem to NetGear Internet Port.

We attempted moving the cables as suggested earlier and all that happened was the Internet slowed or even stopped. So we put it back. NetGear Genie popped onto our screen and asked us if we wanted to switch to "Router Mode". We tried to do it but I wasn't sure what to enter in the fields they asked for.

So we're just leaving everything as it, because the Internet works. Thank you for your time and help.
Message 64 of 102
William10a
Master

I should said  plug to lan cable in the wan port sometimes I think in short cuts and forget that have worked many of electronics and electric wiring I get the word mixed up sometimes as many mean the something in different fields.

Message 65 of 102

@AngelaV wrote:
I don't understand what you mean by plug Verizon Modem to NetGear Internet Port.

StephenB explained it when you said:

That's wrong. The Netgear router isn't seeing the INternet. It is just a part of  local network with the Verizon box.

There's a yellow socket on the back of the router that says Internet. That's the socket for the Verizon modem.

As StephenB wrote: 

It needs to go to the internet port - which should be yellow. It's on the far left as you are looking at the back of the router.

You may well have the Internet, but your Network will not behave as expected unless you wire it up correctly.

Did you ever find this page?

Connecting a third-party router to your home network | Highspeed Internet | Residential Support | Ve...

Maybe you have a different modem from those in the illustrations.

There's a page with links to Verizon manuals here:

Fios user manuals - Fios Internet | Verizon

@Again StephenB explained how it should be some days ago when he wrote:

You connect the ethernet cable from the FIOS ONT to the FIOS router's internet/wan port.  Then connect a second ethernet cable from one of the FIOS router's LAN ports to the Netgear router's Internet port.  Then connect the PC ethernet to one of the Netgear router's LAN ports.

Message 66 of 102
William10a
Master

I sorry that I confused some people with the term wan(Internet)port that's the way I learn it I guess some teachers use different terms.

Wan means wide area network to me and lan is a local area network I guest these terms may be old school today.

Message 67 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I do have the Ethernet cable connected correctly? Yellow cable from LAN 1 to Internet port on NetGear. There's also a white cable that goes from LAN 4 to Aggregate 1. I had the Ethernet cable disconnected for a while because my NetGear had been working faster disconnected. But we put it back. And now NetGear connection is really spotty.

(Pictures: first is NetGear, second is Verizon)

IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

That's why I returned. I was working okay for a few hours and now it's back to being spotty. When we connect to the Verizon network, it works fine.

Message 68 of 102
LeeH
Prodigy

What are the other cables plugged into your modem?  Shouldn't you have only one cable plugged into the modem and all other network cables plugged int the Netgear router?

Message 69 of 102
William10a
Master

You any needed the yellow cable from the lan port of the modem to the internet port of the netgear router the white cable  from the modem's  other lan port to the lan port one on the netgear router should  have not been there.

Only the yellow cable in the picture was needed the devices were at war because of the white cable not sure what the black cable even connected the the netgear router.

Message 70 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

No idea. This is how the Verizon technician set it up. 

Message 71 of 102
LeeH
Prodigy

Yep, the Verizon worker has you all messed up.  Just have the one cable plugged into the modem and the other end of that cable plugged into the yellow Internet port of the Netgear.  All other cables should be plugged into the LAN ports of the Netgear.

Recommend you turn off the Netgear then turn off and back on the modem.  Then after a couple of minutes when the modem has booted up turn on the Netgear and let it boot up.

Message 72 of 102
William10a
Master

I just realized that the black cable is pluged into the modem's lan port not the netgears lan port.

Message 73 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I moved the white cable to another port (that doesn't have a label but it's not Aggregate). Let's see how that goes.
Message 74 of 102

The yellow (Internet) plug, and only the yellow plug, nothing else, has to connect to the modem.

Sorry if you knew that already. I'm lost in this saga.

Message 75 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 101 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7