Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I am

William10a
Master

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

Remove the white cable unneeded it should not even be connected to the router or modem just a extra cable causing problems the yellow cable from the modem's lan port to the netgear's internet port is all you need and the black cable should be on one of the netgear's lan ports.

Message 76 of 102
William10a
Master

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I

I believe that everyone is getting lost may be a simple picture of a normal network would help.

Message 77 of 102
William10a
Master

@AngelaV wrote:

No idea. This is how the Verizon technician set it up. 

Here is a set up guide http://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-to-configure-your-NETGEAR-router-for-cable-internet-connection-with-... I hope that this helps.

Message 78 of 102

@William10a wrote:

I believe that everyone is getting lost may be a simple picture of a normal network would help.

Yup.

The picture of a "normal network" appears in the Quick Start guide for whatever hardware people have.

The tragedy is that few people seem to pay any attention to that document. For example, they ignore the instructions on the order to start things up. That way madness lies.

Message 79 of 102
William10a
Master

Do you have a better guide then the one  I found and may be better pictures?

Message 80 of 102

@William10a wrote:

Do you have a better guide then the one  I found and may be better pictures?

Did we ever find out which router this is all about?

The documents are in the support zone.

Message 81 of 102
William10a
Master

The modem is Verizon FIOS and the router is a R8500 does this help?

Message 82 of 102
LeeH
Prodigy

Just use one cable to connect your R8500 to your modem.  One end plugs into any LAN port of your modem and the other end plugs into the yellow internet port of the R8500.

All other cables that you plug in should be plugged into the R8500 and not plugged into the modem.

If you need more ports than the 4 your R8500 provides,  you will need to procure a switch.

Message 83 of 102
William10a
Master

Here is a picture of modem and router connections I hope that this answers the issue yes my lan cable is black cat 7 cable coming out of a lan port of the modem and now the router the black cable goes to the yellow internet port the other  cables are lan cables coming the from the routers lan ports. I hope this  helpsDSCF1585.JPGDSCF1583.JPG

Message 84 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I unplugged the white cable and the Internet connection went down. I have no idea what the white cable is for but apparently it's important for Internet connection here.
Message 85 of 102
William10a
Master

Were does the black go that plugs into the modem?

Message 86 of 102
LeeH
Prodigy

You need to turn off your modem, your router and everything that connects to your network including cell phones.  Then cable up the one cable from the routers yellow Internet port to the modem and connect all other cables to the router.

Then turn on the modem and let it boot up for 2 minutes.

Then turn on your router and let it boot up for 2 minutes.

And last of all you can turn on the devices that connect to your network giving each a little time for each one to boot up and get connected to the network.

Message 87 of 102
William10a
Master

Can you help StephenB the train has left the tracks and  you since you seem to know about this setup please post a guide sheet with step by step directions to get it working this issues seems to be going in circles and getting no where very fast. Post 2017-02-14 03:3pm has pictures of the setup they have as that date.

Message 88 of 102

The Quick Start guide for the Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Tri-Band WiFi Router Model R8500 is here:

R8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

It has very clear step-by-step instructions with diagrams of what to connect, where to connect it and when to connect it.

It clearly makes sense to reset the R8500 to its factory settings before going through those steps.

Message 89 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

This doesn't really help me. I had it set up like this and the internet crashed without the white cable. I don't know what it's for or why the Verizon tech put it there but removing it screwed with connectivity.

But I'll try it again tonight. Restore and boot everything up. Not like it can hurt at this point.
Message 90 of 102
William10a
Master

@StephenB wrote:

I also use FIOS.  If you are using FIOS and their cable TV, then you need to use their router first.  Their router is providing the program guide, video on demand to their set top boxes, and is needed with their DVR.

You connect the ethernet cable from the FIOS ONT to the FIOS router's internet/wan port.  Then connect a second ethernet cable from one of the FIOS router's LAN ports to the Netgear router's Internet port.  Then connect the PC ethernet to one of the Netgear router's LAN ports.

If you have this set up correctly, then you should be able to access the Netgear router's web page by entering http://10.0.0.1 in your web browser, and you should be able to reach the FIOS router by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser.  You should also be able to reach the internet.

Using both routers back-to-back is called double-NAT.  It works, but some advanced features (like port forwarding) become more complicated to set up.  I use double-NAT myself, but if you wish you can turn off the routing features in the Netgear router by switching to "access point mode".  This means you'd use if tor wifi, but not for routing. There is a guide here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s.... I recommend getting the double-NAT setup working first though.

Still do you know what the black cable pluged in the modem does or where it goes from the lights on the lan port they say it is dead is there another router or access device some else in your home if this restart of your network does not work you need to take a recount on the connections to the modem and router so everyone can get on the same page something is missing from the big picture.

Message 91 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

So I reset (no white cable anymore -- only plug and Ethernet) and the Internet works but I'm back to square one. NetGear won't let me change the name or password of the network. I try to connect via the Genie and I get this message:

IMG_5320.JPG

Here's the setup:

IMG_5322.JPG

Top yellow cable is obviously Ethernet, connected to NetGear. The second cord (black) is a cable connected to the PlayStation 4. The third cord (black) is connected to the computer (through the USB ports on the back). The fourth cord is the CORE, comes from outside through a hole in our wall. The bottom is the power cord. 

IMG_5323.JPG

Here, on the NetGear, there's only the Ethernet and power cable. 

Now the routerlogin page FINALLY let me change my password and SSID. Although it keeps saying it's updating (for about 5 minutes now). I hope it allows things to function well and doesn't crash like the last time I miraculously got in.

Message 92 of 102
IrvSp
Master

All wrong... you have your PRIVATE LAN connected to the Verizon modem. That is acting as a router. You have NOTHING from the Router connected to your PRIVATE LAN unless your ROUTER is also sending out a WIRELESS signal and you are using that.

To re-cap, the Verizon Modem should have the YELLOW CABLE where it is connected to the INTERNET PORT on the NG ROUTER. The Verizon Modem should be put in 'BRIDGED MODE' by Verizon. The BLACK cables you now have connected to the Verizon Modem should go into Ports 1 and 2 on the NG Router.

Then Genie should see the router.

Maybe this will help you see what to do, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7psbYoLTg?

Message 93 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

I don't need Genie to see it. I already was able to change the SSDI and password through routerlogin.net and everything is working perfectly.
Message 94 of 102
William10a
Master

Glad that you get working that's way it should but no sense why it did not work so Genie was causing problems too.

Message 95 of 102
AngelaV
Aspirant

My assumption is that it was in fact the white cable causing issues. I had reset the router many times and it didn't change anything. This time I reset and removed the white cable, and it worked. So I assume that was the problem.
Message 96 of 102
William10a
Master

Possible but I would just leave it alone it is working.

Message 97 of 102
StephenB
Guru

Yikes.  I lost track of this for a bit.  .

The way it should be set up:  Verizon Router LAN port -> R8500 internet port.  No other connections to ANY Verizon LAN ports.  All your ethernet client devices should be connected to the R8500 LAN ports. 

Message 98 of 102

@StephenB wrote:

Yikes.  I lost track of this for a bit.

Haven't we all?

Your accurate description takes us back to the Netgear diagram mentioned earlier. No harm in repeating what has been said many times though.

Maybe one day we will have a Solved tag on this discussion. Then we can get our lives back.

Message 99 of 102
IrvSp
Master

Well the OP claims they changed some stuff and it all works now?

"I don't need Genie to see it. I already was able to change the SSDI and password through routerlogin.net and everything is working perfectly. "

and

"My assumption is that it was in fact the white cable causing issues. I had reset the router many times and it didn't change anything. This time I reset and removed the white cable, and it worked. So I assume that was the problem."

I did NOT see a white cable 'clearly' in the pictures, but one was running somewhere.

I doubt it is configured properly, but they were able to do something that made them happy? Not clear what though?

Message 100 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 101 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7