"windows has detected an ip address conflict." Could there be a problem related to the router?

Kayo47
Aspirant

"windows has detected an ip address conflict." Could there be a problem related to the router?

When streaming on Apple TV router restarts and the following message "windows has detected an ip address conflict."  appears on my ethernet connected PC. Could there be a problem related to the router? What is the nature of my problem and how can I fix it?  R7000 firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: "windows has detected an ip address conflict." Could there be a problem related to the

> When streaming on Apple TV router restarts and the following message
> "windows has detected an ip address conflict."  appears on my ethernet
> connected PC. [...]

What are the IP addresses of all these devices?

> [...] Could there be a problem related to the router? [...]

Sure, but a problem with the way one or more devices are configured
seems more likely.

> [...] What is the nature of my problem [...]

Apparently, Windows has observed multiple devices trying to use the
same IP address, which is not allowed.

> [...] and how can I fix it?

Determine which IP address each device is using, and why.  Then
resolve the conflict?

If every device gets its IP address from the (DHCP server on the)
R7000, then there should be no conflicts.  Any conflict should arise
because someone configured some device with a static IP address, and
that address is in the address pool of the DHCP server, so the DHCP
server could issue that address (as a dynamic address) to some other
device, which would cause a conflict when the device with that static
address joins the network.

> [...] R7000 firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36

Is that the only router (and DHCP server) on your LAN?

Message 2 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Re: "windows has detected an ip address conflict." Could there be a problem related to the

Normally when the router sees an IP Address already in use by another device it would not alert you to anything, and if it were your IP Address that was in conflict it would disconnect you. It seems that Windows now recognizes that situation (how it could tell why the router dropped you I don't know>?) and posts the message.

If so, your PC and another device are 'asking' to use the same IP Address.

One of three reasons:

• The DHCP address range overlaps the RESERVED IP ADDRESS on the router and your PC was assigned the Reserved IP Address when the other device came on-line.
  • You are using a FIXED IP Address in the PC's Network Properties that is either within the DHCP range or the same as a RESERVED IP ADDRESS on the router.
  • Your PC and another device have the same Network Properties Fixed IP Address.

Fix, locate what is causing it and fix the cause... change DHCP range, move Fixed address past DHCP and RESERVED IP Addresses, or do away with them all and only use DHCP.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

As a HELP, enable logging, and when it happens, DO NOT reboot, but use another device to log in to the router and look at the log. You'll see a timestamp and an IP Address that was your's connection along with its MAC Address. There are places on the web that tell you 'who' owns that range, and Apple or Samsung for instance and that would help figuring out possible culprits and you could look at those devices for its IP Address and should be able to figure out how to fix the problem.

Message 4 of 9
Kayo47
Aspirant

No device has a static IP

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
Kayo47
Aspirant

Is that the only router (and DHCP server) on your LAN? yes

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Follow this links 'help', https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-has-detected-an-ip-address-conflict/.

Basically the same, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/061407ip_conflicts.htm.

Logging should help determine 'who' is causing the Conflict, first step in fixing this...

Other possibility, your router has a problem and is dropping the connection and Windows is determining it is due to a conflict? Doubt it, but you might find something in Windows Event Viewer as wll.

Using IPCONFIG /RELEASE and /RENEW should work the same as rebooting the router and allow you to see the router log for information.

If other devices drop off at the same time then it might be the router. Do you know if everything else stays on-line?

Message 7 of 9

Streaming Apple TV should not cause your router to reboot. I often have multiple 5Ghz streams and my router doesn't restart. This type of demand should not cause this type of instability (restart).

1.0.9.34 is relatively new. When you flashed, did you use Genie or check for updates option in the routers GUI... or ... did you download the new FW file and flash from a PC connected via ethernet? If you upgraded using any other method than from a wired connection, I would suggest re-flashing your FW from a machine connected via ethernet

What I think is actually happening.... Your PC is going to sleep. The router is restarting and assigning the IP it assigned to your PC previously to another device. You wake your PC and it reports an IP conflict. Is this a possible explanation to the behavior you are seeing?

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 8 of 9

@shadowsports wrote:

1.0.9.34 is relatively new. When you flashed, did you use Genie or check for updates option in the routers GUI... or ... did you download the new FW file and flash from a PC connected via ethernet? If you upgraded using any other method than from a wired connection, I would suggest re-flashing your FW from a machine connected via ethernet

And if you have problems with new firmware, factory reset the router.

You should not need to do this, but new firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E