r6700 v2 wifi losing connection to xbox and ps4 services

blargbot
Aspirant

r6700 v2 wifi losing connection to xbox and ps4 services

Firmware version: V1.1.0.42_1.0.1

I've recently replaced my Netgear wireless-G router WGR614v10 with a Nighthawk R6700V2.  The reason I replaced this router was due to inconsistent speed , high latency and the single wireless antenna was barely hanging on; it was time for an upgrade.  With the previous router, I did not experience random service disconnects with any device, just high latency.  I've confirmed the latency doesn't exist with the Nighthawk.

Since purchasing and installing my Nighthawk router, any wifi connected devices (XBOX ONE, PS4, XBOX 360, work laptop connected to VPN) disconnect from their respective services within about 10 minutes, but wifi does not disconnect, I only recieve a message "disconnected from xbox network..." (XBOX) or "trying to connect to exchange server" (VPN).  Sometimes, on the consoles, only chat disconnects and sometimes the console totally disconnects. The console's NAT status is open.

I do not experience these problems with another set of consoles (XBOX ONE, PS4) that are wired directly in to the router; this is only a WIFI problem.

My work laptop connected to my work VPN will randomly stop communicating with the VPN endpoint and takes about 1-2 minutes to reconnect.  At any one time, there is only one console connected via wifi, there are no more devices in my house than when I was using my wireless-G router and the router is in the same location, the environment hasn't changed except for the router.  I can confirm that this same behavior does NOT happen with the old wireless-G router, and the problem started when I installed this new router.  My service provider is Comcast and I'm using a Motorola SB6141.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
WhatsUp25
Aspirant

Re: r6700 v2 wifi losing connection to xbox and ps4 services

This is EXACTLY my situation. Literally same position. Bought the 6700v2 to replace an old G router that was hindering speeds. Hooked it up, speeds are way up but constant I mean constant disconnects on wifi.

I get kicked off xbox servers 2-4 times an hour making it unplayable. My connection is great! The wifi strength is 100 the speeds are solid. When it plays its fine but then it just drops out and comes right back. I can use youtube on the console fine but its useless for gaming because Im getting kicked every match. Just doesnt add up, good speed, good wireless strength, plays smooth while it lasts, then just a quick dip enough to drop you from the server, then itll load back up.

My old G router never dropped like this, like you said speeds were slower but no disconnects.

Its specific to this router. The only thing I can do steady on this router is browse the web and youtube on my phone while one other streams a show. My PC will connect fine to it then just stop working while it says its connected. That could be my wireless card in my PC but who knows.

Message 2 of 4
blargbot
Aspirant

Does it happen to you when connected by wire as well? I have another Xbox and PS4 connected by wire and I never get disconnected by wire, it's only wifi sand the wifi itself doesn't disconnect. I've tried modifying some of the WAN / LAN configurations with no change at all. I've seen recommendations about resetting the router to factory default but most topics of this nature don't seem to end in resolution
Message 3 of 4
WhatsUp25
Aspirant

I have not tried it wired, was thinking about hooking the pc wired today to see if that works. Either way I dont plan on using this for wired devices.

Im about 2 -3 weeks deep with this router and Ive spent more time im willing to admit on trying to get this router kosher with everything.

It hooks up, strength is 100%, speed tests show the same thing everytime, runs smooth while able to play or get online. Then it drops just enough to boot me then its back on.

Never happened with the old G router. I can play on the G router but I just have worse speeds and no disconnects.

Ive tried firmware, opened nat, reset router, reset modem, changed channels, taking devices off and on wifi, gone through settings on each device etc etc etc

I dont think theres much we can do on our end. Ive got until the 16th to return it so im gonna tinker around and see if Netgear provides any answers. Other than that I dont know what the issue is.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E