r6700v3 easy fix after bricked by netgear defective firmware update

AnjoUSA
Initiate

r6700v3 easy fix after bricked by netgear defective firmware update

After calling customer support today 08/09/2020 and explained that my router was bricked by their defective firmware update, the lady on the other side just told me like “I’m sorry to hear that, but because your router has no warranty you have to buy another one” after that I started searching for a solution and after re-flashing with many different versions with no success, I found an easy way to fix!

First download the custom firmware

factory-to-dd-wrt.chk 

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/01-03-2020-r41874/netgear-r6700v3/

Second follow the upload instructions 
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

I hope it helps!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: r6700v3 easy fix after bricked by netgear defective firmware update

Be very careful before following this advice. First because it is not needed, but mainly because it involves third party firmware and software that has nothing to do with Netgear.

Netgear already has its own advice on how to recover a "bricked" device.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That uses no more than the official firmware and a PC's native TFTP tools.

Of course, if you want to use third party firmware, that is your choice, but Netgear does not support it and this isn't the best place to seek help.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
RJ12
Tutor

I am glad you posted this solution. After hours and hours of trying every other posted solutions with no success for V3, this is the only thing that revived my router! The comment about this being third party and not worth using is incorrect as it was, and probably is, the only solution. You can then download the authorized Netgear firmware and upload it. Without this interim step, going to the garage for the hammer is the only relief. Clearly bricking the V3 is common when updating with the app over WiFi, Netgear should fix or disable updating via that method!

OBTW, the V3 is temperamental when it comes to resetting so you can't use the TFTP method after DDWRT, but it has a feature that allows for firmware update.

thanks AnjoUSA.

Message 3 of 5
RJ12
Tutor

RJ12 here. Spoke too soon. DDWRT firmware upgrade did NOT work. Will have to experiment more. Can't get internet connectivity with latest firmware upgrade via DDWRT.

Message 4 of 5
RJ12
Tutor

So I am now starting to think the engineers at Netgear are sadists. After struggling for hours to get my brick back to functional I let it sit overnight. Let me backup a bit. After not being able to connect to the internet, I thought I would roll back and reinstall ddwrt and try again. Well I could never get the router to go into reset mode. The power light would never flash. So I let it sit overnight. Pushed the reset button not expecting anything but lo and behold the power light did its obligatory 10 flashes. WTH. So, I let it power up normally. I was going to reinstall ddwrt but thought may as well see what it did overnight. Plugged it in, turned off WiFi on my laptop. Opened Chrome to 192.168.1.1 and voila, greeted with Netgear Genie asking me to agree to EULA. WHAT? Answed yes, went into setup and it said firmware was the current one I loaded. Connected modem and it found the internet. Again, WTH. Navigated around the menus and all seemed dandy. Turned off automated firmware updates and think it is fixed. So there must be an embedded number of attempts to reset after which the router gets dumb. Again not documented by the sadists. They must have a good laugh in the break room when customer service talks about resetting this router. In any case, research ddwrt and restoring it back to OEM. One thing is for sure, have lots of patience and time to recover from/for this process.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E