Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6900 dropping internet connection on 2.4, not 5.0

LewA
Aspirant

r6900 dropping internet connection on 2.4, not 5.0

My Router R6900 with Firmware V1.0.1.36 continues to drop Internet on 2.4GHz for Windows 10 PC's, Macs, iPads. I have been using the R6900 for almost 2 years, and in the last few weeks began to have issues.  I updated to Firmware V1.0.1.34 several weeks ago, and I don't recall if the Internet dropping issue started before or after that firmware update.  Last week I updated Firmware to V1.0.1.36 and while I am dropping less often I still drop Internet a couple times a day on 2.4GHz (while wired and 5.0GHz remain connected).  Via another device (connected via 5.0GHz), I can modify the Channel Selection on 2.4GHz (thru Netgear Genie) and restore the Internet connection for 2.4GHz. Each time the Internet connection drops (2-3x per day) I have been repeating that process. 

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: r6900 dropping internet connection on 2.4, not 5.0

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

If I rename identical I am hopeful that most will simply reconnect.

That's what I do.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

Got any Chromecast equipment?

Message 2 of 8
LewA
Aspirant

I have a smartTV (4G), and also have a few year old TV with a wifi dongle.  Both are connected via Wifi to the router.

Message 3 of 8

I still don't know if you have anything Chromecast.

I asked because there has been a Google induced meltdown with some routers from a raft of makers.

Google Chromecast and Home devices are causing problems with some Wi-Fi networks – BGR

The symptoms are the same as you flagged up.

The worst hit Netgear products are the X7000X series of modems/routers and routers.  I don't know about the R6900.

Did you factory reset after applying the new firmware last week?

Message 4 of 8
LewA
Aspirant

I don't have any Chromecast hardware. I did not do a factory reset after applying the new firmware.  I have been on for 24 hours since my last drop (2.4GHz channel change), which is progress. I can do the factory reset if you think that will help...just need to dust off some brain cells on how some of the devices connect/re-connect to the router (smartTV's, wireless printer, etc.).  If I rename identical I am hopeful that most will simply reconnect.

Message 5 of 8

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

If I rename identical I am hopeful that most will simply reconnect.

That's what I do.

Message 6 of 8
LewA
Aspirant

Thanks, resetting to factory settings worked.  The 5.0GHz side had issues immediately following the reset, but after doing a 2nd router reboot after changing the settings both 2.4 and 5.0  are up and behaving again.  I am on day2 since I did the reset, but am hopeful that the issue is resolved.

Message 7 of 8

Great. Yet more evidence that a reset is not a daft idea.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7