Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6900v2 vs r7000

JohnPWalker
Aspirant

r6900v2 vs r7000

I just bought a new AC1900 from Walmart, thinking that I was getting an r7000, because I didn't imagine that an intelligent organization would use the same model number for two different products.  What I got was an r6900v2.  (After upgrading, the firmware is V1.2.0.4_1.0.2.)

I compared the two routers' Key Features, and the list for the r7000 is quite a bit longer than that of the pre-v2 r6900.  However, I have seen features on the 6900 that are missing from its list, so the accuracy of Netgear's comparison is questionable, perhaps due to discrepancies in marketing hype.  Also, the Release Notes for the v2 upgrade don't appear to address the lists' differences.

Amazon has the (real) r7000 for the same price that I paid for the r6900v2, so I'm wondering if returning the 6900 and going for the 7000 is worth doing, features-wise.

Thanks in advance.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Model: R6900v2|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: r6900v2 vs r7000

@JohnPWalker wrote:

Netgear's, and others', numbering schemes seem a bit confusing, but maybe it's just me.

NO!

It is not just you. That misunderstanding is so common – pretty well daily – that the response is in the boilerplate text.

I have no idea how us mere mortals, the customers, can get all those manufacturers to talk sense, but it is desperately needed.

A good start might be to advertise things more clearly, something like R6900v2 (AC1900).

I returned the 6900 and ordered the 7000.  I'll be more careful next time.

Probably a good move. The R7000 router (not to be confused with the D7000 modem router) seems to be Netgear's current flagship product. Personally, I can't understand the complicated array of devices.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@JohnPWalker wrote:

I just bought a new AC1900 from Walmart, thinking that I was getting an r7000, because I didn't imagine that an intelligent organization would use the same model number for two different products. 

AC1900 is not a model number. Like most router makers Netgear uses those labels to signify the wifi speeds they deliver. (Google "Asus AC1900" and "dLink AC1900".)

Netgear has a whole raft of AC1600 devices.

The choice of which is best for you is yours. A good way to compare them would be to download the detailed documentation.

There is a manual for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link::

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

>>>> Nighthawk R6900v2 | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Message 2 of 5
JohnPWalker
Aspirant

Thanks, Mike.  I really do appreciate your reply.

@michaelkenward wrote:

AC1900 is not a model number. Like most router makers Netgear uses those labels to signify the wifi speeds they deliver. (Google "Asus AC1900" and "dLink AC1900".)

Netgear has a whole raft of AC1600 devices.

Netgear's, and others', numbering schemes seem a bit confusing, but maybe it's just me.

Best to you!

Message 3 of 5

@JohnPWalker wrote:

NO!

It is not just you. That misunderstanding is so common – pretty well daily – that the response is in the boilerplate text.

I have no idea how us mere mortals, the customers, can get all those manufacturers to talk sense, but it is desperately needed.

A good start might be to advertise things more clearly, something like R6900v2 (AC1900).

Probably a good move. The R7000 router (not to be confused with the D7000 modem router) seems to be Netgear's current flagship product. Personally, I can't understand the complicated array of devices.

Message 4 of 5
JohnPWalker
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

NO!

Glad to hear that.  Thanks.

Yes!  They seem to have it backwards.

I hope Netgear has someone who looks at these forums and takes customers' input into advisement.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7