r7000 DLNA Media Server files

IrvSp
Master

r7000 DLNA Media Server files

I've had some 'problems' that do not appear to be 'real' problems, but bugs.

I'm on W8.1 and connected by 1GB Cat 6 cable to the router. I've got a USB (WD 1TB) drive connected to the USB 2.0 port on the back and DLNA enabled.

I use an iPad to connect to the media server, using either AirAv or AcePlayer (basically the same code and AirAv is the Media Server only app, the other does more including FTP). Latest version of the app and iOS installed.

I've used a variety of ways and programs to MOVE files from my PC to the Video Share on the USB drive. Some programs, like TeraCopy reports errors that it can't copy everything or it didn't (but did) and therefore can't deleted the original folder.

Windows Explorer does the same, but doesn't report errors, just doesn't delete the originating folder. I've tried other methods too.

What I've got on my PC is folder with sub-folders for the ripped DVD's and I then MOVE those (COPY has the same problem) over to the USB share video folder, so I have a set of sub-folders with movie names on them.

What I see happening is 2 problems:

This is TOTALLY random if it happens, maybe 25% or less of the time and doesn't seem to matter what I use to transfer the files.

If I use FTP (either on the PC or using AcePlayer on the iPad) or the Windows Explorer to look at the USB share I do not see these 'duplicated' files.

So I suspect it is in the DLNA database? I suspect an incomplete copy was done or some other problem which caused the router to return a non-zero return code to the program?

Anyone else see this? I can delete the sub-folders on the share and when I take the USB disk to the PC and run CHKDSK it is OK? Has to be in the DLNA catalog and not a disk error that means to me?
Message 1 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Re: r7000 DLNA Media Server files

I discovered that if I delete the .readyDLNA file in the root of the USB with DLNA turned off and then turn DLNA back on, the catalog is correct, no more dup's. Strongly suspect a bug either in the firmware or possibly due to W8.1.
Message 2 of 13
IrvSp
Master

This has NOT been fixed in the latest Flash, V1.0.3.56_1.1.25!

Sort of annoyed over this. I've got an OPEN ticket, hear NOTHING on it, and yet it doesn't get fixed?

Does support really care?
Message 3 of 13
alfredo156
Aspirant

Hello

After two older HDD, i have now a 2 TB WD Passport ulta USB 3 drive stuck on the units USB port and use it as for file storage for Streaming to my TV. The only thing I don't like about this (an all other HDD) is that every time I reset the unit or have a power glitch it typically goofs up the attached drive and I have to pull it off and allow Windows to CHKDSK it in order to write to it again, else it just produces weird errors when trying to write to it. The ReadyDLNA is always damaged.:mad:
The DLNA media server is pretty worthless. Is there any solution or fix for this problem?

Firmware V1.0.3.60_1.1.27 flashed. Same issue:(

Thanks for your support
Message 4 of 13
IrvSp
Master

There 'might' be some progress on this. Just today (I was called yesterday and had to sign and NDA) support was on my computer and installed a DEBUG version of the f/w. We did the transfer, saw the multiple 'ghost' files and were able to use Windows Media Player that ALSO saw the ghost files and that it could be played. Debug data was collected and they will be giving that to engineering. Maybe they are finally working on this (5 months after I opened a ticket!)? Don't know if your problem is connected? I too frequently pull the external drive to the PC and it says the drive has a problem and needs to fix it before it can be used. That might be a filesystem problem? Mine appears to be a DLNA catalog problem.
Message 5 of 13
AndreBalt
Aspirant

Similar issues here - are they making progress?
Message 6 of 13
IrvSp
Master

No, this was the FIRST time they got on my computer, other time (Jan.) I reported my 'dup' problem to then and sent screen captures. They had me install a special 'debug' f/w and the problem was replicated again, so as of now, it is NOT fixed. With the dump files 'maybe' they can figure it out. I did ask 'why' they couldn't reproduce it and was told they thought it was specific to my computer and/or router. I reminded the tech that the router was replaced (mailed away at my expense) and it did NOT fix the problem. Also I am now on a new computer and it still happens, so it wasn't Win8 or Win8.1 or Win8.1.1. Only good thing that came out of it was not only was it reproduced, it was done so using the Media viewer in Genie on the PC and iPad and with the Windows Media Player on the PC. Tech said this should make it much easier to reproduce. Time will tell... I installed .60_1.1.27 f/w replacing the debug flash they put on the router, not fixed there but I wasn't surprised.
Message 7 of 13
AndreBalt
Aspirant

Here's the answer I got:

"With the information that you have provided, I would suggest you install firmware version 1.0.3.24 so we can isolate the cause of the problem. "

Sounds like they want me to revert to old firmware then step through each version of the firmware for them to try and see when the problem starts. Feels like busy work, which I've already done plenty of already. It's impossible to believe that they do not know they have a problem and which releases (probably all of them) cause it.

It's poor customer service to keep putting it back on the users claiming it is something unique to them.
Message 8 of 13
IrvSp
Master

I don't know if I'd call it poor customer support or the initial line of contact doesn't have the data to know? First thing I had to do was what you are being asked to do. I was always told 'they' could not reproduce the problem. Maybe they don't have the h/w or think they have a complete description, but I'm pretty sure now the person on the other end, either via e-mail or on the phone, doesn't have the h/w to reproduce anything. Database look-up might not exist either, only a list of known problems and if you do not describe it exactly as they see it on the list, they think it is new or only your problem. This time data was collected with a debug version like I said. Able to reproduce the problem on the PC was probably a good thing, they can't point fingers at the iPad and a 3rd party app. With Genie and MS's Windows Media Player showing the problem they'd have a hard time pinning it on someone else. Like I said, after 5 months it seems they are starting to work on it? I hope they don't tell you the router is bad and RMA it. All that will do is cost you $15 or so and when you get a 'refurbished' unit you'll still have the problem.
Message 9 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

IrvSp wrote:
I hope they don't tell you the router is bad and RMA it. All that will do is cost you $15 or so and when you get a 'refurbished' unit you'll still have the problem.

Based on my experience, that's precisely what they'll do next.

Step 1 - try every beta and release firmware available in hopes that they find one that addresses the problem.

Step 2 - gather mountains of packet capture and/or debug information in an extremely intrusive manner and then give the impression that they never used it.

Step 3 - offer hardware RMA.
Message 10 of 13
bobcageon
Guide

Just use plex on a computer & your dlna tv should see the drive. I decided to not use my router as a nas, and just use a nas or older pc that I keep on 24/7. I can stream using any app that supports networking such as vlc of playerXtreme for apple ios. or BubbleUPNP & FX File Explorer Plus on Android devices. Works easy peasy. As for tryingto use mymedia in netgear genie, I have never been able to connect to it & see a file, always an error
Message 11 of 13
alfredo156
Aspirant

Hello Another guy in the forum formatted his harddisk to ext4. Last week I did it also and now I have no problems with the Media Server ... no damaged DLNA file .... everthing works fine...:D There is definitively a problem with the NTFS format ...... Regards Alfredo
Message 12 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The wouldn't be a big surprise. NTFS is always an issue on routers and Linux-based devices in general.

I don't use NTFS for anything other than Windows PCs.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E