r7000 - How to revert from DD WRT to NetGear Factory Firmware

Bloodwrych
Aspirant

r7000 - How to revert from DD WRT to NetGear Factory Firmware

Hi,

I have a nighthawk r7000 which i switched over to DD WRT firmware (  DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/08/14) kongac ) back when i got it new and wish to convert it back to Netgear Firmware. Just downloading the Netgear firmware update by itself & updating it does not remove the DD WRT

Regards

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
William10a
Master

Re: r7000 - How to revert from DD WRT to NetGear Factory Firmware

If I remember correctly there is a problem that you download from dd-wrt to aid in going back to the netgear firmware you will need to check with the site you get the dd-wrt from.

Message 2 of 7
joecop
Luminary

Just flash the netgear firmware from within dd-wrt. After it reboots. Turn it off, then turn it on and reset it it. 

I am one of tthe moderators on the dd-wrt forum. 

Message 3 of 7
Bloodwrych
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried to do that.   and it still had the DD WRT firmware

I then tried to upgrade the DD WRT firmware to the latest version from 2017-06-11 and did the whole resest / reboot process and the router still showed the original DD WRT firmware.

At a lost as to how to get it to get off this old 2014 firmware and get it updated...preferably to Netgear Firmware.

I cannot do it thru the Netgear Genie app because it has admin as default username and doesnt allow it to change whilst i have changed both username and paswword in DD WRT

Regards

Message 4 of 7
William10a
Master

You could try the steps at this link https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall

they may help.

Message 5 of 7
joecop
Luminary

Don't use the genie app. Do it from a computer connected by Ethernet cable. 

Reset the router first from the reset button in the back. Hold reset till the power led flashes. Then let it boot up, go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and log in using root and admin. 

Then try the netgear firmware again. 

Message 6 of 7
Lamik
Aspirant

I have gone to administration, upgraded to the netgear firmware, powered off then on, held reset till the white power LED flashes and then let go and also have pressed reset till the red power LED flashes then let go. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements