Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r7000 drops internet connection

kmcghghy
Novice

r7000 drops internet connection

I've been reading reviews now and it appears now that the following is a known issue that they just refuse to fix.
I've been an IT System Administrator for over 20 years and I would not buy another Netgear product again after dealing with their support which doesn't admit there is a known problem.

I had the Netgear WNDR3400 and never had any trouble with it. I bought the Nighthawk R7000 and for $200 and my experience with other Netgear hardware I thought this unit would be great.

I have had nothing but trouble with it. The Nighthawk r7000 is constantly going down. I upgrade firmware and it craps out and I have to redo the configuration. I get up in the morning and no wireless, I have to reboot it. Sometimes it goes down 2-3 times a day. The other day I got up and again no wireless, I rebooted and that didn't fix it. I go into the configuration and it says the wireless is turned off. First time I had this issue and you have to hold the wireless button on the front for about 10 seconds to turn it back on.
This is ridicules that this unit has so many issues. Of course it's now out of the 90 warranty and Netgear says as long as the correct lights are on it not a
hardware issue so pay us to troubleshoot or fix it yourself. When the device is a lemon, you can't fix that!

NOW THAT I’M WRITING THESE REVIEWS, I FIND THAT USERS HAVE THE SAME ISSUES I’M HAVING. THEY HAVE ALSO CONTACTED NETGEAR TO NO AVAIL.
BOTTOM LINE, BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT.
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If the firmware was at fault I would think all of the r7000 out there on the same version would be affected. I use a R7000 and just yesterday re-installed 1.0.4.18 and then manually entered my settings.
I don't use the USB port, genie, QOS or media sever. This is the first time I configured it offline using a wired connection for the whole process not just the FW portion.

As for the WIFI button, While I setup mine yesterday I pushed it for a few seconds and both radios turned off. I entered all my settings and rebooted and power cycled several times and the radios stayed off as expected. When I finished entering my settings I turned the router off and installed then powered back up then had to push the wifi button to turn on the radios. 24 hours later all is still good, VPN to work stayed up and 27 devices are all connected. I also have a AP at that opposite end of my 3000 square ft home and no devices jumped ship to it in the past 24 hours which if the WIFI was turning off I would see some clients attaching in the AP log.

Not all problems are FW related. I would and have numerous times suggested contacting support and getting a replacement.

Tell them it's dead and pay for a advanced replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 29

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Wireless turning itself off is very unusual. Do you see anything in the R7000 logs? Is there adequate ventilation? Make sure none of the vents are blocked to prevent overheating. What firmware version are you using? IMO, stability really improved with the 3 most recent firmware versions.
Message 2 of 29
abgalassi
Guide

I hear you - the $200 I spent on this was hard to save up - now that is down the drain and it's going to take me way too long to afford a different one! I am beyond disappointed!
Message 3 of 29
Fairytail
Virtuoso

If wireless turns off by itself, you might want to check the wireless schedule if it is enabled.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24102
Message 4 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If the firmware was at fault I would think all of the r7000 out there on the same version would be affected. I use a R7000 and just yesterday re-installed 1.0.4.18 and then manually entered my settings.
I don't use the USB port, genie, QOS or media sever. This is the first time I configured it offline using a wired connection for the whole process not just the FW portion.

As for the WIFI button, While I setup mine yesterday I pushed it for a few seconds and both radios turned off. I entered all my settings and rebooted and power cycled several times and the radios stayed off as expected. When I finished entering my settings I turned the router off and installed then powered back up then had to push the wifi button to turn on the radios. 24 hours later all is still good, VPN to work stayed up and 27 devices are all connected. I also have a AP at that opposite end of my 3000 square ft home and no devices jumped ship to it in the past 24 hours which if the WIFI was turning off I would see some clients attaching in the AP log.

Not all problems are FW related. I would and have numerous times suggested contacting support and getting a replacement.

Tell them it's dead and pay for a advanced replacement.
Message 5 of 29
wesley410
Novice

I have the same problem. I had it with the factory firmware and I have it with DDWRT. I was using the VPN server feature of the netgear genie, and with DDWRT i am only using basics, usb enabled, and syslog enabled.

Something is not right. I am always dropping my live feeds for class and I have been afraid to try taking a test at home.

Since both firmwares have the problem it has to be hardware related or some poor driver support.

For the record, this router is mounted on a wall with only 32" of clearance all the way around. Sorry, but that was the best I could do until I hit the ceiling.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to troubleshoot. The Netgear logs did not show anything.
The DDWRT logs only show this: ddWRT kern.info kernel: nvram: consolidating space! however, I cannot correlate that entry with the times WAN connection drops.
Message 6 of 29
rdlkgliders
Aspirant

Yes all the above accounts of the r7000 dropping connecion are issues experienced by many. It is way to expensive to be this laborious to maintain connection. I am mot going to elaborate but in short the unit is troubled and disappointing.
MCP, CompTia A+ Hardware & Software certified Tech
Message 7 of 29
Weyldfalcon
Aspirant

Same problem, have we found a resolution yet?

Message 8 of 29
doraemon
Prodigy

Message 9 of 29
culero23
Tutor

Same issue here. How do I check the logs to see why it drops connection. Not sure if it drops conecction to the modem or drops the conection for the wireless users. But all my devices are through wifi and they lose connections a couple of times a day.

Im running latest firmware which has not resolved the problem.

Thanks

Message 10 of 29
culero23
Tutor

By the way I refuse to buy a new router. I was hoping this one that cost so much was going to work better. This is my last Netgear I'm getting if no resolution is found.

Message 11 of 29
JamesGL
Master

Hi culero23,

What is the exact firmware version loaded on your router? If it is v1.0.6.28, you may revert to v1.0.4.30. The firmware v1.0.6.28 was pulled out from support site.

Message 12 of 29
culero23
Tutor

Hi James,

Firmware version shows V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. I'm also reading going back can still have issues. I see posts from early this year on this. What is netgear doing about this and when is a new firmware (hopefully one that works) being relased?

Thank you in advance.

Message 13 of 29
JamesGL
Master

Hi culero23,

You may try for now the v1.0.4.30 or try the beta firmware v1.0.6.40 (here). Official firmware will be released as soon as QA team are done testing it.

Message 14 of 29
culero23
Tutor

Thank you James I went ahead and installed it. I see something new smart connect. Will you recommend that?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29834/~/configuring-smart-connect-on-your-nighthawk-r7...

Message 15 of 29
JamesGL
Master

Hi culero23, 

Let me just give you the explanation on how smart connect works and you may decide if it is applicable for you.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29834/~/configuring-smart-connect-on-your-nighthawk-r7...

Message 16 of 29
rungel
Tutor

I just experanced my wireless being dropped. twice over past 2 days. I have the R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk. Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.67  

"Windows has detected an IP address conflict"

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this one.

Contact your network administrator for help resoloving this issue.

More details are in the windows system event log

Message 17 of 29
JamesGL
Master

Hi rungel,

Please check this new beta firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-60/m-p/1070857#M30302

Try to powercycle the router or your computer to avoid the IP address conflict.

Message 18 of 29
JamesGL
Master

Hi rungel,

Please provide us an update with the new beta firmware.

Message 19 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@rungel wrote:

I just experanced my wireless being dropped. twice over past 2 days. I have the R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk. Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.67  

"Windows has detected an IP address conflict"

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this one.

Contact your network administrator for help resoloving this issue.

More details are in the windows system event log

I see no one answered this. If it is 'true', then you have either 2 devices asking for the SAME IP Address or one asking for one DHCP had already given out. Since you are on Windows, check the Internet PROPERTIES for the device that dropped and see if it specifies an IP Address. If you knew which IP Address it had, then check the device that got the IP Address it had. If neither of these have pre-set IP Addresses, check the router to see if it had any set.

Message 20 of 29
Jht
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem..... Spent 3+ hours with Netgear tech support - must be in India - each time I have to repeat the same explanation and go through the same steps. Upgraded firmware - changed router to channel 10. Finally they suggested a replacement. Replacement arrives EXACTLY the same issue.

I will never buy another Netgear product again.

Packing up the second ex7000 for return.

Message 21 of 29
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just to give an update, there's another new beta firmware to try 1.0.5.62.

Message 22 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

Sounds like you got a sick router or AC power adapter(known to happen many times).  When I had R7000 it just worked with Kong's

dd-wrt firmware so well.

Message 23 of 29
jakeduff
Aspirant

Beyond frustrated and I will NEVER buy another Netgear product again.  We bought the r7000 to replace an older/lower end Netgear unit that failed due to product lifespan and thought I would spend the money to get the higher end model. r7000 has been nothing but trouble with constant drop offs; Google r7000 and look at all the complaints.  I work as senior management in business and have never seen such terrible customer service and failure to address a major issue with their product.

Message 24 of 29
gavster
Aspirant

RE: Firmware: V1.0.5.64_1.1.88

Installed this firmware and I still have the same issue.  Router keeps dropping the WAN connection.

Problem started two evenings ago, and has continued ever since.  Flashed with updated firmware and did a factory reset.  No joy.  

Connected computer directly to cable modem and there were zero problems (stable connection for several hours).  

Added the router back into the mix and sure enough, after about 20 minutes it dropped the WAN connection again.  Rebooting router and modem gets the internet back, but only for a short time.

For some reason, it appears that it may be dropping the DHCP lease provided by the ISP.

Very disappointed, as I have had this router since January of this year and it's performed flawlessly until now.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7