Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 router can't reset and can't connect anymore.

Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

r7000 router can't reset and can't connect anymore.

Hi,

I just bought this router for bridging capabilities in my student apartment.

I connected it by wire and the first disapointment, I discovered you can't use security in bridge mode?!?!?!? This seems crazy to me because this way anyone can connect to it or hack it.

I changed the connectivity to AP mode after which I lost connection to the router. I am trying to reset the router to it's factory settings by pressing the reset button. This doesn't seem to do anything though. I'm still seeing the SSID name wich i changed and I can't login to the routerlogin screen. Is this thing broken already?? I have great experience with netgear switches but this seems **bleep**. What's going on.

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

Re: r7000 router can't reset and can't connect anymore.

Well decided to RMA it back to the store. They somehow performed a firmware update (no idea how since I could not acces the interface).

It's working perfectly now.

Pretty weird though that this doesn't work out of the box.

Thnx all.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 23

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You need to hold the reset button for at least 7 seconds.

Message 2 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

Yes I did that.

Message 3 of 23
TheEther
Guru

Odd.  Well, we'll have to go about it more indirectly.  Connect the R7000 WAN port to another router's LAN port using an Ethernet cable.  Log into that router and find the IP address assigned to the R7000.  Use that IP address to log into the R7000.  Once in, go to Advanced > Administration > Backup Settings.  There you can select Erase to revert to factory settings.

Once you do that, wait for the router to restart.  Then, connect a computer to any R7000 LAN port.  You should be able to connect to routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1.

Message 4 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

I can't use the other router in the building because I don't have access to them.

Message 5 of 23
TheEther
Guru

You're not making this easy.  Are you sure the reset button isn't working?  Smiley Happy

Here are two other options.  Ping every IP address in your subnet.  You can write a script with a for loop to do this automatically.  Hopefully, there are no more than 253 to try.  Then look at your ARP table and find the IP address that matches up against the MAC address for your Netgear.

Enable Internet Connection Sharing on your PC's Ethernet port and connect to your R7000 WAN port.  Your R7000 should request an IP address from your PC.  This will often be 192.168.137.2.

Message 6 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure the reset isn't working. I'm not entirely sure if it's should be turned on or off during the reset. I've tried both though and pressed it more than 7 seconds. www.routerlogin.net doesn't work or typing in 192.168.1.1.

I'm no programmer so programming a loop is beyond my abilities.

The rest I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

I have to say that's it's pretty terrible I have to go to these length to get a connection again. Not user friendly at all.

Message 7 of 23
rpoffen
Virtuoso

What lights on the router are on?

I had an R7000 that was working fine, and then when I went to reset back to factory defaults prior to a firmware upgrade and power cycled it, it had bricked itself and would just cycle as if it was resetting itself over and over.

I had to do an RMA exchange.

Message 8 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

Power, 2gh, 5ghz, port 1,wireless, and some other light are all white.

I can't seem to get anything out of this thing anymore. I checked my wired ip with Ipconfig and it's 169.254.209.41.

I used a range ping program to ping everything in range from 169.254.209.0-255  but the only thing that gives a response is my pc. The router is nowhere to be found.

When i ping the range from my already wireless connection to the router in the building I get my pc, my phone and the router. so no problem, but not the netgear.

Message 9 of 23
TheEther
Guru

When your PC gets an address starting with 169.254.x.x, it means it wasn't able to find a DHCP server, so it self-assigned a dummy IP address.  The problem is the R7000 is in AP, so it will no longer hand out IP addresses.  You need to connect your R7000 WAN port to a router so it can obtain its own IP address.  Then connect your PC to the R7000 LAN port and repeat your range ping test.  You should get a ping response from the R7000.

Message 10 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

wow that sucks big time. So there is no way for me to do this. As I don't have acces to the router. How am I supposed to fix that without....

Also I thought the idea of a reset was that it was supposed to go back to factory default, including it's own Ip adress and the mode it's in. Why isn't that working.....

Message 11 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Pixelapocalypse,

Welcome to Community!

When pressing the reset button, make sure that the power light flashes before your release the reset button. If it will not flash, that means the router was not reset to factory default.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

It's definitely not solved. With a reset the power light flashes. As it turns of other lights turn off also and the all the light turn on briefly and then returns to normal. It doesn't do anythign though. Still can't acces the router through routerlogin.net. What a waste of money.

Message 13 of 23
JamesGL
Master

@Pixelapocalypse,

Try to press the reset button for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If it does not work, check if your device is still within hardware warranty and call support for further testing and possible replacement.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 14 of 23
TheEther
Guru

Try this.  Unplug all devices from the router, except power of course.  Perform a factory reset by pushing the reset button (push it in far enough to feel it click) long enough for the power light to flash, as mentoned by @JamesGL.  Wait for the router to finish rebooting.  Now, plug a computer into one of the LAN ports using an Ethernet cable.  Don't plug anything else into the router.  Make sure your computer's Ethernet interface is set up to obtain its IP address automatically.  Open a browser and connect to 192.168.1.1.  If the factory reset worked, then you should be able to log in.  Reconfigure to your heart's content.  Once you are done, reconnect your router to your network.

Message 15 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

I have tried resetting this thing over 10 times. It doesn't work. Also the power led doesn't really flash. It just turns off and other lights too. Then turn back on again.

Ofcourse my network is set to obtain IP automaticly. 

Currently I am at my moms house so I have full network acces there. So maybe i can fix it here. We have a Fiber optic modem, a wireless router there. and now the one I bought. Unfortunetaly. The other modems IP is 192.168.1.1. Sooo how do i figure out what the IP of the other modem is. I just reset again. But neither

www.routerlogin.net works or 192.168.1.1 (obviously, because I get my Fritz.box then).

Message 16 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

I'm now trying what TheEther suggested earlier at by brothers place that has full network acces.

We have the R7000 WAN port connected to a lan port of the other router. Also there is a wire from the R7000 lan port to a computer. We have internet now somehow both wired and wirelessly.

If I check the fritz box though I don't see the netgear in the connected devices. This leads me to conclude that the Netgear hasn't received an IP adress. Although if it doesn't have an IP it shouldn't be able to connect wirelessly. So this is pretty weird. There is one unknown IP adress in the list that I don't know what device it is. Entering this in the browser adress bar doesn't give me the netgear login. So I'm not able to connect to the netgear's interface directly.

Also completely removing the other router from the network and connecting it directly to the DSL line doens't work. It just doesn't receive an Ip.

The wireless SSID is still pixelapocalypse. The name I gave it on the first day. To me this means none of the factory resets worked.

What I actually want is that the router picks up the wireless connection in my student house from the router that's already there and then connect all devices, like my ps4, ps3 and desktop through wire with the R7000 (there won't be a wire from this router to the other router)

I'm actually not even sure anymore if this is possible or if this is achieved through AP mode.

Message 17 of 23
TheEther
Guru

It's possible to do what you want. It's called bridging mode. But you need to log into your R7000 to enable it. Since you haven't been able to do that, you are kinda stuck.

Normally, the R7000 should acquire an IP address from a DHCP server in AP mode, unless it was set up to use a static IP address. If it's the latter, then you will have to try your darndest to remember it in order to log in. Or, somehow, get the physical reset button to actually work (it's really strange that it isn't working).

Did you originally set up this R7000? If so, do you remember if you changed the setting to use a static IP address?

Message 18 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

Yes I set it up but I didn't set it up with a static IP since that wasn't necessary. I'm 100% sure of this.

It seems the physical reset button isn't doing what's it supposed to do.

It's super weird that it was working. I could actually connect to the internet wirelessly through the router. Although if I did a tracert in cmd it didn't show up as a hop. Which is weird. Also the unidentified device didn't have netgear in it's name (not sure that it would). It was just called PC- (IP adress)

That IP didn't give any response though. It seems to work, sort of. I just can't get access to the interface.

As the reset button isn't working I think I am kinda stuck, other suggestions would be welcome but, I think i'm going to have to RMA this thing....?

Message 19 of 23
TheEther
Guru

It's not that weird that internet access is working. An AP, more or less, functions as a switch and would not show up as a hop in tracert. Therefore it doesn't need an IP address.

Make sure you are using the WAN port on the R7000 to connect to the router. Try disconnecting the cable a few times. This might trigger the R7000 to DHCP for an IP address.

If this doesn't work, then I think it's time to RMA it. The broken reset button is enough of a reason to consider it defective.
Message 20 of 23
Pixelapocalypse
Aspirant

Well decided to RMA it back to the store. They somehow performed a firmware update (no idea how since I could not acces the interface).

It's working perfectly now.

Pretty weird though that this doesn't work out of the box.

Thnx all.

Message 21 of 23
NewtothisRouter
Aspirant

Had the exact same problem. Hard resets and turning power off and on didn't help. Finally I disabled wifi on all the devices that were previously connected to the router and then it let me log in to setup. Don't know if this was a coincidence or it actually won't let you log in if there's devices connected to it via wifi. Either way I can say the software is extremely backwards.
Message 22 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It might be a coincidence. The admin page should always be available to any device connected to the router.

In order to access it, your device should have an IP address that is in the same range of the router.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7