r7000 vs wrt1900

networking
Aspirant

r7000 vs wrt1900

anybody had a chance to use the wrt1900 in comparison with the r7000?
Message 1 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: r7000 vs wrt1900

I have, you can read about in their forum.
Message 2 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It has a thermal controlled fan too that has yet to turn on. It has a working IPV6. It's too heavy LOL, large heat sink like something you see in high end Audio Receivers. The network map is great, you can edit it. You can deny access to individual devices, set individual times to limit each device. for all those parents who need to control their kids. You cannot e-mail logs, log function is somewhat lame. The front display can be turned off, they have a dedicated 800 number manned by English speaking reps. They call back when the they said they said would. They answered the phone at 11pm central time on a Sunday evening.
Message 3 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

See my throughput charts on other site, ping times less than 1 even when running speed test on 2.4 while pinging router using 5g. Ping times to Arris Modem are less than 2 via 5g.
Message 4 of 65
claykin
Aspirant

This should help. In summary, very good storage performance for the WRT1900AC and not so record breaking wireless performance.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32393-linksys-wrt1900ac-ac1900-dual-band-wi...
Message 5 of 65
networking
Aspirant

searay, do you have a link to that "other site". I'm not sure which link you're referring to. thanks.
Message 6 of 65
photobynum
Aspirant

networking wrote:
anybody had a chance to use the wrt1900 in comparison with the r7000?

did you post this in the WRT1900 forum as well? you know the logic, come on
Message 7 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 8 of 65
networking
Aspirant

photobynum wrote:
did you post this in the WRT1900 forum as well? you know the logic, come on

That's called cross-posting and it is generally frowned upon. No, this is precisely the forum where I want to ask because I am interested in hearing from the view of r7000 owners (like myself)
Message 9 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

claykin wrote:
This should help. In summary, very good storage performance for the WRT1900AC and not so record breaking wireless performance.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32393-linksys-wrt1900ac-ac1900-dual-band-wi...

The important part about performance is first you have to be able to hold a WIFI connection, Many have problems keeping a connection while others don't.
Message 10 of 65
photobynum
Aspirant

networking wrote:
That's called cross-posting and it is generally frowned upon. No, this is precisely the forum where I want to ask because I am interested in hearing from the view of r7000 owners (like myself)

you already know half of that (owned it yes?) topic too broad better to specific should you know what you are looking for?

smallnetworkbuilder good place to start

searay wrote:
The important part about performance is first you have to be able to hold a WIFI connection, Many have problems keeping a connection while others don't.

Not sure if you faced this yourself or just heard lots of issues and just have this topic
Message 11 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

photobynum wrote:
you already know half of that (owned it yes?) topic too broad better to specific should you know what you are looking for?

smallnetworkbuilder good place to start

Not sure if you faced this yourself or just heard lots of issues and just have this topic

Windows for dummies is another good place to start for those who haven't got a clue.

SNB never seems to follow up on anything. He mentions some are upset with Netgear but does not mention WHY.

Go back and read the numerous post about this router. Not everyone has issues with it But enough do that it appears to have some issues preforming some basic routing functions aside form the ready share and bridging options too.
Message 12 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

searay wrote:
they have a dedicated 800 number manned by English speaking reps. They call back when the they said they said would. They answered the phone at 11pm central time on a Sunday evening.

To be fair, I have yet to talk to a Netgear rep this past week who doesn't speak clear, fluent English. They're all in the Phillipines (I work with people in Quezon City every day) for sure but haven't yet had a language issue with them.

And they called me yesterday at 10pm central time. I also talked to them at 3pm on Sunday afternoon. So I'm not sure where you're getting that.
Message 13 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What did you talk about? 😄
Message 14 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

About how much work I'm doing troubleshooting their firmware. 😄
Message 15 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's a good one! Keep up the good work! I may be coming back.:eek:
Message 16 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Really? Why?

I was looking at the WRT1900 myself.

The Asus AC1900 seems to have as many issues as the R7000, if not more.
Message 17 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You've heard that old saying how inmates get institutionalize and can't make it on the outside when released from prison well I'm too used to features that the WRT1900AC doesn't offer.

The router work great while I used it since Sunday. The log function is nothing like I was used to and you cannot E-mail them. They offer a somewhat real time bandwidth usage for all devices, but you have to hit refresh over and over to get accurate readings of a moving target. I'd rather see a cumulative monthly usage meter as NG has. I liked the option to block multiple devices using multiple schedules but miss the keyword blocking. They don't offer turn off radio by schedule either. The IPV6 option worked great I'll miss it. They have a great network map in place of attached devices, it was cool and you can edit almost all the info. The coverage was comparable to r7000 @ 50 feet sitting 5 feet from a R6300v2 the signal was within 1 DB on 5g.:D
I'll be returning it tomorrow and waiting to see how the R7000 evolves. I don't need to run out and buy anything since I already have a good working solution. So once again I setup my 2 R6300v2 at opposite ends of the house.

As the U2 hit goes ...I still.... haven't found... what I'm looking for. 😞
Message 18 of 65
photobynum
Aspirant

searay wrote:
Windows for dummies is another good place to start for those who haven't got a clue.

SNB never seems to follow up on anything. He mentions some are upset with Netgear but does not mention WHY.

Go back and read the numerous post about this router. Not everyone has issues with it But enough do that it appears to have some issues preforming some basic routing functions aside form the ready share and bridging options too.

Sorry, I better leave you in peace with this debating topic. seems you haven't yet encounter any issues like others but instead being paranoid of having one soon.

Logically, If you not experienced it yourself, then should you just be happy. and If you have encountered same issues (like those reported), then just consider throw this away.

I love this router and keep in mind you are in R7000 forum.
Message 19 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you drunk?
Message 20 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
You've heard that old saying how inmates get institutionalize and can't make it on the outside when released from prison well I'm too used to features that the WRT1900AC doesn't offer.

Sounds like Stockholm syndrome to me *smile*.

Well, I'm finding the R7000 is very stable and performs well with dd-wrt firmware at this point. Ignoring IPv6 for the moment, which I feel fine about doing, since I know it will come along in dd-wrt at some point, and it will work right. Dd-wrt also offers the features that I'm looking for, including a real syslog rather than a log just full of DHCP junk.
Message 21 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm considering DD-WRT strongly.
Message 22 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

On a side note, I noticed that the WRT1900 uses a Marvell chipset which means no DD-WRT. I know it shouldn't matter but it's nice to have that option to fallback on when stock firmware inevitably doesn't work...
Message 23 of 65
WAS_1
Aspirant

I notice that the read/write performance to a USB3 connected device of the WRT1900 is significantly faster than that achieved with the R7000. I had bought the R7000 primarily because of it's higher performance wrt the Asus 56U in this particular usage. You win some and lose some!
Message 24 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

htismaqe wrote:
On a side note, I noticed that the WRT1900 uses a Marvell chipset which means no DD-WRT. I know it shouldn't matter but it's nice to have that option to fallback on when stock firmware inevitably doesn't work...

Totally agree. I wouldn't buy a router that I couldn't get some sort of third-party firmware for. Too many times the OEM's just don't get it together, making a great piece of hardware painful to use. On the other hand, if your download speeds are in excess of 300-400Mbps, dd-wrt cannot deliver your full download speed due to not having CTF ("hardware acceleration"). Since my download speed is less than 10% of that, this is not a limitation for me *smile*. The CTF thing is being worked on...they'll have it for sure by the time that it matters to me.

Other than that, very stable and performs well here. I'll try the next Netgear firmware release, of course, but if they run true to form I'll be back to dd-wrt at some point *smile*. Just upgraded to latest dd-wrt release to avoid Heartbleed, and this release is working well.
Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 16 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E