r7000 vs wrt1900

WAS_1
Aspirant

Re: r7000 vs wrt1900

WAS_1 wrote:
I had bought the R7000 primarily because of it's higher performance wrt the Asus 56U in this particular usage. You win some and lose some!

Sorry, I meant the 'AC-68U'.
Message 26 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey Roger, how is DD-WRT 5Ghz range compared to stock firmware?
Message 27 of 65
Lexist2112
Luminary

htismaqe wrote:
On a side note, I noticed that the WRT1900 uses a Marvell chipset which means no DD-WRT. I know it shouldn't matter but it's nice to have that option to fallback on when stock firmware inevitably doesn't work...

Here is quote from the PC World review, 2 days ago.

"The open nature of the original WRT54G—and the availability of open-source firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato—played outsized roles in that router’s success. Should those communities embrace the exponentially more powerful WRT1900AC, this could become one of the best routers ever. Linksys says it is“engaged with DD-WRT and expect a firmware to be available,” but the company also says it doesn’t “have a time frame—it’ll be up to them [the DD-WRT community]”.
Message 28 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: r7000 vs wrt1900a

So the WRT1900 is going to be one of the first (if not first) Marvell-based routers to fully and successfully support DD-WRT and the timeframe for its release is "up to the DD-WRT community"?

Forgive me if that sounds like vaporware at this point. DD-WRT for the Asus and Netgear exists right now.
Message 29 of 65
Bigcid10
Guide

I've decided to try this router out and sell my r7000
figures the day I get the wrt1900 netgear comes out with a new firmware,lol
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 30 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I have both the R7000 and the WRT1900AC. I've found that the R7000 with dd-wrt firmware is better than the WRT1900AC for my use. Better wireless range, and much better status monitoring capability with the R7000 using dd-wrt firmware. And the web admin GUI on the WRT1900AC is quite limited in what can be monitored and controlled. Also, there's functionality missing on the WRT1900AC that one expects with a $250 router. That may come in time, we'll see.

If there is ever OpenWRT or dd-wrt firmware for the WRT1900AC, then we'll see if it's worth having the WRT1900AC over the R7000. At the moment, there's no question here, I'd keep the R7000 if I had to choose.
Message 31 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Been kind of quite lately, which has been nice, after returning both of them. Sitting back and waiting for the R7000v2. LOL
Message 32 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Yeah, I see that you've been spending time working on your avatar, things must be slow at your place *smile*.

No problems here, R7000 with dd-wrt is doing just fine, and has been since I switched over from Netgear stock firmware. I'll be using this router for some time, very happy with it.
Message 33 of 65
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Same here with both router.s I just fjashed latest stock f/w back to R7000 to put it up against WRT on Jperf comparison test between wired desk top PC and Laptop with Intel 7260AC card. No Telnet access for WRT either, I wonder why? For the time being there is no clear decisive between two as far as I can see.
Message 34 of 65
Lexist2112
Luminary

RogerSC wrote:
No problems here, R7000 with dd-wrt is doing just fine, and has been since I switched over from Netgear stock firmware. I'll be using this router for some time, very happy with it.

Agreed : ), it appears Shibby has released his Tomato FW and looks pretty good. Hey Searay, you may want to try Tomato, it might do all the things you want it to.
Also it appears Netgear has released a new FW, some minor tweaks only.
Message 35 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

It's early on for tomato at this point. Personally, I'd let it simmer a while before going there...but feel free, after you've read the thread, of course *smile*. I'm going to try it in a while, too.
Message 36 of 65
sjht
Guide

I'm only running stock firmware, but so far the WRT1900 is rock solid and doesn't have some of the issues that I was facing with the R7000 (primarily connectivity issues between wireless and wired devices). I'm not using anything extra that the firmware of the R7000 might have, but for what I need the WRT1900 is great so far. Need a few more days with this device. SJ
Message 37 of 65
Lexist2112
Luminary

Like yourself, the wireless has been rock solid and all other aspects of the WRT1900AC has been great. 😄
Message 38 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Lexist2112 wrote:
Like yourself, the wireless has been rock solid and all other aspects of the WRT1900AC has been great. 😄

Yeah, nice to have IPv6 work as smoothly as it does on the WRT1900AC. On the other hand, the R7000 with dd-wrt has been great, too. If I could get IPv6 going on dd-wrt, that would be my preferred choice. I know I'll be going back to the R7000 with dd-wrt at some point.

I do miss all the features of dd-wrt firmware when I'm using the WRT1900AC, it's hard to even tell if the WRT1900AC has rebooted, since there's no "uptime since last reboot" clock. Or much in the way of monitoring tools, either. While there is an entry in the "Network Map" for the WRT1900AC for "Internet Usage", I've never seen anything except 0 there...although that could be my fault, somehow. Dd-wrt (on the R7000) has a couple of ways that WAN traffic can be monitored, as well as wireless signal strength, etc. Very useful stuff.
Message 39 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So if I were to manage to return my R7000, it sounds like the WRT1900 is the way to go?

I've heard the Asus AC1900 has a bunch of issues (Iike the R7000) and I actually came to the R7000 fresh of a frustrating experience with an RT-N66U/W, so I'm not really looking to go through that...
Message 40 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RogerSC wrote:
Yeah, nice to have IPv6 work as smoothly as it does on the WRT1900AC. On the other hand, the R7000 with dd-wrt has been great, too. If I could get IPv6 going on dd-wrt, that would be my preferred choice. I know I'll be going back to the R7000 with dd-wrt at some point.

I do miss all the features of dd-wrt firmware when I'm using the WRT1900AC, it's hard to even tell if the WRT1900AC has rebooted, since there's no "uptime since last reboot" clock. Or much in the way of monitoring tools, either. While there is an entry in the "Network Map" for the WRT1900AC for "Internet Usage", I've never seen anything except 0 there...although that could be my fault, somehow. Dd-wrt (on the R7000) has a couple of ways that WAN traffic can be monitored, as well as wireless signal strength, etc. Very useful stuff.

That usage is real time Not cumulative, useless because it changes faster than you can refresh then it's gone No History.

I had contacted CS on this and that's when I decided to return mine.
Message 41 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

htismaqe wrote:
So if I were to manage to return my R7000, it sounds like the WRT1900 is the way to go?

I've heard the Asus AC1900 has a bunch of issues (Iike the R7000) and I actually came to the R7000 fresh of a frustrating experience with an RT-N66U/W, so I'm not really looking to go through that...

Well, you know what, due to the way that you use your router, I'm not sure who could answer your question. I've had great experiences with the RT-N66U with RMerlin's firmware, the R7000 with dd-wrt firmware, and am enjoying the WRT1900AC even though the firmware is missing many features. So my view is from someone who tends to use the core features of a wireless router, routing and wireless *smile*.

I think that you should try it and return it if it doesn't work for you. Given the 80 devices that you mention, printer problems, etc., I doubt that anyone else could tell you if it would work for you *smile*.

That's my opinion.
Message 42 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
That usage is real time Not cumulative, useless because it changes faster than you can refresh then it's gone No History.

I had contacted CS on this and that's when I decided to return mine.

Interesting, I just figured it wasn't implemented yet. That does sound pretty useless. I'm looking for cumulative traffic, and the records that dd-wrt provides, months of daily cumulative WAN use records, plus current bandwidth monitoring (realtime) are really useful.
Message 43 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RogerSC wrote:
Well, you know what, due to the way that you use your router, I'm not sure who could answer your question. I've had great experiences with the RT-N66U with RMerlin's firmware, the R7000 with dd-wrt firmware, and am enjoying the WRT1900AC even though the firmware is missing many features. So my view is from someone who tends to use the core features of a wireless router, routing and wireless *smile*.

I think that you should try it and return it if it doesn't work for you. Given the 80 devices that you mention, printer problems, etc., I doubt that anyone else could tell you if it would work for you *smile*.

That's my opinion.

What do you think I use my wireless for? 😉

I'm only using the core features really. No NAS, no media server, no QoS, no uPnP, no parental controls, no scheduling/filtering, or anything else. About the only "advanced" feature I use that most people don't is that I have like 34 or more static DHCP reservations. And I use the guest network.

That's really my complaint with the R7000 and the Asus. The Asus, no matter what firmware I tried, swallowed about 25% of all DNS requests, making basic web browsing unbearable. In addition to the wired/wireless issue I have with the R7000, it also completely screws up large AFP file transfers.

What I'm ultimately looking for:

1) Superior 5Ghz coverage.
2) Stability

I just can't use DD-WRT. It's overwhelming to me anymore. There's just too much configuration possible and it drives me nuts (OCD :D).
Message 44 of 65
Buck115
Aspirant

htismaqe wrote:
I returned my R7000 in early February, sure glad I did. I replaced it with the ASUS RT-AC68U and yes, early on there were issues, probably still are for really advanced users, but for me, with the latest firmware, it is flawless; other's experiences will probably vary. I've also tried the latest Merlin firmware and it works well too.

The continuing problems with the R7000 that I read about here seem to confirm that I made the right decision.

All I can say is, good luck. Hope you don't get stuck when all of a sudden you see the release of the R7000V2; that was my worry!!!!!
Message 45 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

htismaqe wrote:
In addition to the wired/wireless issue I have with the R7000, it also completely screws up large AFP file transfers.

What I'm ultimately looking for:

1) Superior 5Ghz coverage.
2) Stability

I just can't use DD-WRT. It's overwhelming to me anymore. There's just too much configuration possible and it drives me nuts (OCD :D).

Okay, in that case I'd go to the Linksys wireless router forum and ask for comments on large AFP file transfers (and anything else that you need that you may have some doubt about being there). Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth. While I don't have any difficulties with the WRT1900AC the way that I use it (other than no uptime clock or real traffic monitoring, etc. *smile*), I don't do AFP file transfers...You can just start your own WRT1900AC thread there, and ask a few questions (after searching, of course, to see if they're already answered).
Message 46 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How does the AC68U range compare with the R7000?

The one reason I hung onto the R7000 this long is because the range upgrade over the WNDR3700 and RT-N66U was pretty significant, especially on 5Ghz.
Message 47 of 65
Mobs
Aspirant

The 2.4 radios on my WNDR4700 started acting flaky and while looking for a replacement I went with a R7000 last week.

After reading so much on the WRT1900AC, I decided I would give it a try as well. It was much more problematic for me than the R7000 and it only lasted a two days in my set up.

My issues with the WRT was the fact uPNP would not work with multiple Xbox's causing NAT issues. Port forwarding and triggering wouldn't work properly either. It also rebooted once and lost my settings, so I had to set it up twice.

I really dug the GUI though.

I did have my R7000 reboot on me once (part of the reason that I gave the WRT a try, other was the fast r/w speeds to its USB port), but since I put it back into action and applying the latest firmware, it has been up 24 hours with no problems.
Message 48 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

uPnP is always one of the first things I shut off. I also don't use port forwarding.

Regarding the R7000's stability, I've never had mine reboot. I've never lost wireless connectivity or Internet connectivity. I'm not surprised that 24 hours has been fine for you. I'd also not be surprised if you weren't rebooting it soon.

However, no matter what firmware I've tried, wireless devices and wired devices stop communicating after about 48 hours.
Message 49 of 65
Buck115
Aspirant

htismaqe wrote:
How does the AC68U range compare with the R7000?

The one reason I hung onto the R7000 this long is because the range upgrade over the WNDR3700 and RT-N66U was pretty significant, especially on 5Ghz.
I don’t think I retained any of my metrics for the R7000, but if memory serves me correctly the RT-AC68U does show a little better signal strength at my test location. My RT-AC68U is located in the same place where I installed the R7000; on top of cabinets 7 1/2 feet above the floor. My primary test computer is a Dell XPS-9100 with an ASUS PCE-AC68 wireless card installed (I installed this card after I returned the R7000 and bought the ASUS Router).

The XPS-9100 is located 38 feet from the RT-AC68U and is separated from the router’s location by a thick interior wall and a cabinet at both the router and client ends. Typically inSSIDer shows the 2.4GHz signal strength to be -47dBm and 5GHz signal strength to be -49dBm (this is with beamforming enabled on both the router and wireless card. The Windows Network Status Utility shows a constant full five bars on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Typically my link rate shows as 1053Mbps with excursions up to the full 1300Mbps. Measured upload and download speeds are always at maximum with my cable provider.
Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 16 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E