r7000 vs wrt1900

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: r7000 vs wrt1900

I ended up going with the Linksys EA6900. Not as many complaints about firmware it seems.
Message 51 of 65
LeeH
Prodigy

Message 52 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I did.

It also only gets 3 stars on Amazon.

However, the R7000 got 4 stars on Amazon and it's junk, at least for me. The Asus RT-N66U is one of most popular routers ever and it gave me nothing but problems.

I've given up on reading reviews for these kinds of things - every individual experience seems to be completely different.
Message 53 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Most of the EA6900 reviews on Amazon seem to be complaining about wireless instability.

That's also #1 complaint against the 4-star R7000 and the 4-star Asus AC1900.

I live in a rural area with absolutely no interference from anywhere. I've never had a problem with wireless stability with any device I've ever had, even the R7000.

I'm not gonna sweat it right now. As I said before, I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about Linksys firmware and if you read the power user reports (like at Small Net Builder and here) both Asus and Netgear have significant firmware issues.
Message 54 of 65
techfreak8
Aspirant

I recently came upon the wrt1900ac and it looks like a great router and has received positive reviews.. Now I am not sure if I should buy the r7000. Which router has best signal strength and performance or firmware quality?
Message 55 of 65
techfreak8
Aspirant

I recently stumbled upon the linksys wrt1900ac router and it looks like a great router and it received positive reviews. So now I am not sure I should buy the r7000. Which router offers best signal strength and best firmware quality or performance?
Message 56 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm using the WRT1900AC.

I'm currently at 31 days of uptime without any hiccups. There is a bug in the GUI that causes the router to crash if you mess with things too much but since mine is setup and stable, I haven't had a need to access the GUI.
Message 57 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

From my use of the WRT1900AC, I'm currently not using it, partly because I can't have the admin GUI open at the same time I'm using it. Also, at least here, the wireless on the R7000 is definitely stronger. I've heard others say the opposite, but I could not get the WRT1900AC to perform as well as the R7000 does.

So I'm waiting on new firmware for the WRT1900AC, and hoping for better. Personally, I can not recommend the WRT1900AC at this time, but I'm sure that others will differ *smile*.
Message 58 of 65
bobcageon
Guide

htismaqe wrote:
I'm using the WRT1900AC.
oh boy ... linksys .. get out the guns & mortars * blow that stuff up :eek::)

I just changed my r7000 for a new one, & my last one worked great, but just to see (new lot, an R25 vs R19, and new store) & this one gives me a little less snr & a little more signal strength, but overall its the same flavor of pretty good. The drop outs are not an issue but it seems I get a little latency the odd time using my wireless & my hard wired connections. If I go to the black screen (sleep) on my iphone & android tablet, my signal drops off & then comes back on when I go onto the desktop (all sleeps and inet saver options unchecked.)

Again, just some healthy paranoia on my part b/c I don't want to left holding the bag on a router that reaches it shelf life too soon. If they support this router for another year or so I should be happy with it.

Lastly, since all ac1900 routers are having drop out issues, it has to be with the standard itself, not just the firmware. There's no way that many coders get it wrong across all platforms. My bet is the problem is on the other end.

Happy Happy
Message 59 of 65
Lexist2112
Luminary

Made the switch to WRT1900AC from R7000. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the R7000 works well, but the WRT, just plain works better,faster and smoother.

Now , with the release of the R8000, will see if Netgear has cleaned up their act and put the performance back into their router, as well as a stable FW.

Will have the R8000 in the network arsenal by July 11, if not sooner...stay tuned 😄
Message 60 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

bobcageon wrote:

Lastly, since all ac1900 routers are having drop out issues, it has to be with the standard itself, not just the firmware. There's no way that many coders get it wrong across all platforms. My bet is the problem is on the other end.
Happy Happy

Part of the problem is the wireless drivers from Broadcom (and Marvell, too, apparently). They seem to have problems producing stable drivers. They want maximum performance for competitive reasons, and have a problem with that versus stability. Personally, hot performance has no value to me without stability.
Message 61 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RogerSC wrote:
I've heard others say the opposite, but I could not get the WRT1900AC to perform as well as the R7000 does.

I'd give a slight edge to the R7000 but the WRT1900AC is close enough in performance for me that the difference is barely noticeable. In other words, inSSIDer says the R7000 is better but real world usage says it's a tie.

Add in all of the issues with the R7000 stock firmware and for me, the WRT1900AC is the clear winner. The only way to get true stability out of the R7000 is to load DD-WRT like you did but to me, that's really not a fair comparison.
Message 62 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

bobcageon wrote:
If they support this router for another year or so I should be happy with it.

Don't count on it. Support after the first year would be pretty rare form for Netgear. Based on their track record, I'm guessing maybe 2 more firmware updates, maybe 3.

There's also this. Netgear is already moving on...

Lexist2112 wrote:
Will have the R8000 in the network arsenal by July 11, if not sooner...stay tuned 😄
Message 63 of 65
RogerSC
Virtuoso

htismaqe wrote:

Add in all of the issues with the R7000 stock firmware and for me, the WRT1900AC is the clear winner. The only way to get true stability out of the R7000 is to load DD-WRT like you did but to me, that's really not a fair comparison.

Interesting, some might say "firmware's firmware", as in what does it matter where the firmware comes from if it does the job? What's unfair about the comparison?

I've also rooted my Android phone and use a custom ROM there because it is much lighter weight battery wise, and I can control what's on my phone. I don't have to deal with Samsung's problems, and I can turn off Google's problems, as well *smile*.

I don't understand the apparent attitude that only the OEM's firmware is valid (or something), but it's yours, for sure *smile*.
Message 64 of 65
Retired_Member
Not applicable

bobcageon wrote:
I have been using AC for well over a year now on several Vaio laptops which I updated the WIFI cards to Intel AC7260. The first few months were rough, but after that I was having great results using two R6300v2's set at 1300, 2nd in AP Mode. The 5g AC mode is similar to dual channel 2.4 in that you need a good signal, if not don't expect it to preform as advertised. The data rate is even faster with AC so any signal problems could cause connection problems I would think. Many of the complaints about dropouts don't go into details, like FW used on both PC and router, then you have the USB adapter crowd constantly complaining, What do you expect when the dam antennas are basically touching each because of the small size of the adapter. My cards only use 2 or 3 of the four channels and cap at 866.7 which is fine. If I have a need for anything faster I sure as hell won't be using a laptop to process it. Then another a group is famous for complaining how the cell phone or tablet drops, once again small confines and antennas with little or no gain. 2.4 on Iphone has limited range then you get these phone geeks using 5g with even less signal complaining. Can someone please explain what in hell do you need a AC rate connection for on a cell phone or tablet? Recently one space cadet was placing his MODEM on top of the R7000 and after numerous lost connections, he had an epiphany and figured out that they were overheating. I did try a R7000 last December and dumped it two weeks later for several reasons. I got all hard waiting for the WRT1900AC which was like a blind date, I had no idea how lame the firmware was. So I dumped it too. I now have a r7000 AGAIN and it's working fine and someday when they fix the monthly usage and IPV6 I'll be a happy camper. When using LAN TEST LST Server I get 34 MBps UL & 50 MBps DL on Average. I suspect July 11th will pass as did April !5th and nothing earth shattering will be gain from what I've read.
Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 16 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E