Highlighted
Follower

r7000p V1.3.1.44 Disney Circle disabled after every reboot

Upgraded to recently released, latest firmware V1.3.1.44_10.1.23  on my r7000p a few weeks ago and now anytime I reboot the router, Disney Circle is disabled and I have to login and re-enable it.

Curious if others have experienced this phenomenon?  Or a possible solution?

I have NOT gone through a full 'hard reset', would prefer not to....

Hardware Version R7000P

Firmware Version V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

GUI Language Version V1.3.1.44_2.1.38.1
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18
Highlighted

Re: r7000p V1.3.1.44 Disney Circle disabled after every reboot

@thegeeknme wrote:

I have NOT gone through a full 'hard reset', would prefer not to....

Unfortunately, that is probably the only way to work out what is going on.

It should not be necessary, but new firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration. Disney Circle is one of those things that depends on the firmware.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front and with added features line Disney Circle.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Same issue with same firmware upgrade. This is definitely a bug with this firmware upgrade. Furthermore, Disney Circle now breaks the Internet connection. The router cannot maintain an Internet connection with Circle enabled. After months of using Circle it now cannot be used at all.

Message 3 of 18
Highlighted

If a reset does not fix it, then you can roll back to the previous firmware.

Find it here:

Nighthawk R7000P | AC2300 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Read the release notes for the version you want, to see how to revert to the older firmware.

You will lose the enhancements, bug fixes and new features, but this version does not tout "security updates". So you should be safe on that front.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Just reverted to firmware version V1.3.1.26_10.1.3 , however, the Disney Circle Agent version remained at:

> Agent Version: 2.0.8.0
> App Database Version: 1.2.4

This version of the Disney Circle Agent has various reported problems. For example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Loss-of-internet-after-enabling-Circle-by-Disney-on-R...

@thegeeknme, what version of the Disney Circle Agent are you showing as having? I'm quite sure its the one mentioned above.  In that case, your probably want an separate parental control solution.  It's unfortunate, but its better than no Internet connection at all.

Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

@thegeeknme, update ... I rolled forward again to 1.3.1.44 .. but instead of giving up on Circle, I decided to try something else since my DNS service was acting a little unreliable lately.  For example Ookla speed tests worked fine but when using Google's speed test .. the test server could not resolve. So I switched to OpenDNS. This means that I updated the router to use OpenDNS' DNS servers instead of Comodo DNS serves which I had configured in the router previously. After applying that setting everything was back to normal.

I suspect the Disney Circle software in the router relies on a 3rd party DNS service such as OpenDNS .. and if this is not reliable then Disney Circle is not reliable .. and if Disney Circle is having issues, the router disables it at the next reboot .. which would be the logical thing to do.  That way if you call support, they can simply have you reboot the router and be back online .. albeit without Circle.

Check out this post .. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Loss-of-internet-after-enabling-Circle-by-Disney-on-R...

Look at the last post ... Circle issues and DNS issues seem to be related for at least that user as well. I can say that it was true in my case.

One more thing .. its obvious that in the routers admin page when it shows the Internet status .. that it too relies on a reliable DNS connection because even though that was reporting as not being connected to the web, the machines on my local network use my own internal DNS server (BIND), and had no issues connecting to any site.  This basically means that the router was successfully routing requests through the modem (Internet) .. and therefore the connection (routing TCP packets) was not actually the issue. 

Everything I have found so far point to DNS issues related to Circle.

I suggest turning off Circle and getting the OpenDNS DNS server addresses .. and setting them for your router's DNS servers, then re-enable Circle .. and try again.  You may need to reboot once or twice before it sticks, as I also found the case to be.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Same problem here.

Sucks. I am paying good money for this, and now all this hassle. Bought a whole new router to have Circel integrated. I don't care whose issue this is. Pls fix it between yourselves - Netgear and Circle/Disney.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same firmware. Factory reset to setup Circle again after having network issues (due to a different problem). Circle is setup and working fine at the moment but yes, still disables if the router reboots. It's definitely an issue.

Message 8 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a similar issue with my R6900p same version firmware. I hope netgear would do something about it quickly. 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Master

Welcome to the wonderful world of crap firmware. Not sure Netgear even cares. Sold my Netgear routers. Happy with Ubiquiti solution. See sig.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Mine now seems to be working ok - on latest firmware.

Have to say too, as much as I'd like to bag big co's, can't fail Netgear on this one. They called me and offered help. So a +++ here for NG.

Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Have to take that back. Thought it had fixed itself - but alas it hasn't. How stupid is that? All kids need to do is restart router and Circle is gone - and I'm paying a lot of good money for that! Come on NG and Disney - you can do better than that. Fix it!

Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  I tried to set the openDNS server trick too, but Circle still gets disabled when router is reset.

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue as below for several months. I've waited for a firmware update that fixes it but have to rollback to the old firmware version again. Why can't netgear fix this?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Initiate

This is ridiculous. I also purchase a new router, because my kids could just turn off the disney circle hardware at any time. I purchase a new router so that circle would be built into the router so they could not bypass my configuration. But the genius' at netgear cannot figure out how to keep circle enabled through a reboot. Great job. You should be proud of your skills. 

Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

100% agreed. I've been on support and they still could not come up with a resolution. Can it be that hard?

I'm inclined to ask for a partial refund of monthly subscription fee for services not received, ie reliable restriction of Wi-Fi access.
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

They once sent me email asking to talk to a support person, but I'm too busy to do that during business hour.

(I have to work too).  Then after a couple weeks they closed the ticket, without solving anything.

Netgear, please listen to me, I'm a computer professional, software engineer, and I have been working in networking

company in silicon valley for 20+ years.  Next time when anyone asking me which brand of wifi router to buy,

I will tell them, "defenitely not Netgear, because they screwed me up.".  

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

TOTAL CRAP product, software, firmware, support

AND these serious issues that have been out there for months too.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-and-Genie-not-showing-attached-devices...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R6900P-no-longer-displaying-attach...

All NG users are suckers.  I got Amazon to offer me a refund!!!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements