Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000p as access point has fixed ip address by default that prevents login and

roger_h
Aspirant

r7000p as access point has fixed ip address by default that prevents login and

The r7000p manual states that a static is set on the lan by default. The default in my case was the same as the router I amj connected to. This prevents access to the r7000p configured as an access point from being reached via an IP address. The lan IP address needs to be set as an address in the same net as the router you are connected to. I chose the last address in my router range. Then after you are setup as an access point you can login to your access point using the lan address. The access point will not be accessable via routerlogin, so forget about that that!  So be sure to have a usable IP address in your access point lan settings to be able to reach your r7000p. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: r7000p as access point has fixed ip address by default that prevents login and

@roger_h wrote:

The r7000p manual states that a static is set on the lan by default.

This is correct.

@roger_h wrote:

The default in my case was the same as the router I am connected to. This prevents access to the r7000p configured as an access point from being reached via an IP address.

This is wrong! The fine documentation Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router User Manual, p.64, "Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point" does say:

===

You can set up the router to run as an access point (AP) on the same local network as another router.
To set up the router as an AP:

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port in the other router.
  2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
  3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
    A login window opens.
  4. Enter the router user name and password.
    Network Settings
    Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router
    The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are
    case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/ AP / Bridge Mode.
    The Router / AP / Bridge Mode page displays

===

The problem you state does not exist - it was created by the admin.

@roger_h wrote:

Do not tell me I have to reset the r7000p and start over. Been there and done that. 

Netgear needs to fix the setup to allow entering the gateway address and letting the router assign an IP. The interface should allow this and doesn't. It needs to be fixed.

Hm, don't think you have to reset ... When you go to  Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless AP where you can tick the (x) Enable AP mode, and scroll down ... there should be everything (e.g. the choice for selecting DHCP client or a static IP) you are behind. It's not a part of the Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> LAN setup, indeed.

Here the UI as it looks in the "new" design where we set the mode to AP - must be different from your R7000P - but the functionality is the same:

R9000 AP Mode DHCP vs static IP.PNG

Seriously, the time we spend to write here is much more than factory reset a R7000P and re-configure the hand full of data it from scratch as an AP - and doing it right away the way you want it ..... when I have it right the R7000P does handle it that way -> I’m setting up my NETGEAR router for the first time, how do I set it to Access Point (AP) mode? ... the biggest problem is that the WAN/Internet port must be used ... obvious to avoid the duplicated default LAN IP.

@roger_h wrote:

Only routerlogin.xxx doesn't and I prefer using an IP.  If I had 2 AP's attached routerlogin wouldn't work anyway. 

The routerlogin.xxx is captured on the AP, and works while being connected to that device wireless or Ethernet - of course it works with one, two, or hundreds of devices on a LAN - because it applies to a small subset of devices only. Very similar the mywifiext.xxx when working with Netgear extenders. This does connect you to the "next hop" device.

@roger_h wrote:

To be honest the user interface is flaky.

It might not be intuitive. Consumer routers don't make good AP for experienced network admins anyway - to much user guidance like for duplicating wireless SSIDs and so on ... good for consumers, bad for us. But once more, this is not the problem here - the weak point is between chair and keyboard, sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: r7000p as access point has fixed ip address by default that prevents login and

> The r7000p manual states that a static is set on the lan by default.
> [...]

Huh?  Where, exactly, does which "The r7000p manual" say what,
exactly?

> [...] The default in my case was the same as the router I amj
> connected to. [...]

So far as I know, the default LAN IP address of all Rxxxx models is
the same.  (Normally, "192.168.1.1", but others are possible.)

> [...] This prevents access to the r7000p configured as an access point
> from being reached via an IP address. [...]

No, it doesn't. It does mean that you probably should configure the
R7000P as a wireless access point _before_ you connect it to your main
router.

> [...] The lan IP address needs to be set as an address in the same net
> as the router you are connected to. [...]

Yes, and that normally happens (with no extra effort) when you select
"AP Mode" to configure the router as a wireless access point.  See "Use
the Router as a WiFi Access Point" in the R7000P User Manual.  ADVANCED

> Advanced Setup > Router/ AP / Bridge Mode : AP Mode ...

> [...] I chose the last address in my router range. [...]

So, you also chose "Use fixed IP settings on this device (not
recommended)", rather than "Get dynamically from existing router"?

> [...] The access point will not be accessable via routerlogin, so
> forget about that that! [...]

The various "routerlogin" names _should_ still work, _if_ your
computer/device is connected to the R7000P-as-WAP. If, instead, your
computer/device is connected to the main router, then those names should
point to that main router.  The (new) LAN IP address of the
R7000P-as-WAP should work from anywhere on your LAN.

> [...] So be sure to have a usable IP address in your access point lan
> settings to be able to reach your r7000p.

Sure, but, as explained above, that should happen when you select "AP
Mode" to configure the router as a wireless access point.  (Unless you
explicitly specify some unusable address.)

Of course, if you use the default option, "Get dynamically from
existing router", then you won't immediately know what that address is.
It should be available from an "Attached Devices" report from the main
router, and, if you want the R7000P-as-WAP to have some particular LAN
IP address, then you should be able to reserve a dynamic address for it
on the main router (as you could do for any other device which is
connected to that main router). ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup > Address
Reservation ...

You seem to have created an unnecessary problem for yourself, found
one way (out of multiple possible ways) to solve it, and tried to be
helpful by publishing what you did.  But you could have avoided the
whole mess by simply configuring the R7000P as a WAP before connecting
it to your main router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "Use the Router as a
WiFi Access Point".  The principal problem is:

2.  Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is
          connected to the network.

What it _should_ say is, "a computer or mobile device that is
connected to the router which is to be run as a wireless access point."

And, step 1 ("Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of
this router to a LAN port in the other router.") could be postponed
until later.

Message 2 of 5
roger_h
Aspirant

Look at the attached screen shot and tell me where you can have the IP address made so that it is assigned by the router. 

The address that was there was set by the setup and was 192.1..68.1.1 the same as the router.  

Do not tell me I have to reset the r7000p and start over. Been there and done that. 

Netgear needs to fix the setup to allow entering the gateway address and letting the router

assign an IP. The interface should allow this and doesn't. It needs to be fixed.

Entering an IP address that will work allows getting to the AP by IP works.

Only routerlogin.xxx doesn't and I prefer using an IP.  If I had 2 AP's attached routerlogin

wouldn't work anyway. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@roger_h wrote:

The r7000p manual states that a static is set on the lan by default.

This is correct.

@roger_h wrote:

The default in my case was the same as the router I am connected to. This prevents access to the r7000p configured as an access point from being reached via an IP address.

This is wrong! The fine documentation Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router User Manual, p.64, "Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point" does say:

===

You can set up the router to run as an access point (AP) on the same local network as another router.
To set up the router as an AP:

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port in the other router.
  2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
  3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
    A login window opens.
  4. Enter the router user name and password.
    Network Settings
    Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router
    The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are
    case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/ AP / Bridge Mode.
    The Router / AP / Bridge Mode page displays

===

The problem you state does not exist - it was created by the admin.

@roger_h wrote:

Netgear needs to fix the setup to allow entering the gateway address and letting the router assign an IP. The interface should allow this and doesn't. It needs to be fixed.

Hm, don't think you have to reset ... When you go to  Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless AP where you can tick the (x) Enable AP mode, and scroll down ... there should be everything (e.g. the choice for selecting DHCP client or a static IP) you are behind. It's not a part of the Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> LAN setup, indeed.

Here the UI as it looks in the "new" design where we set the mode to AP - must be different from your R7000P - but the functionality is the same:

R9000 AP Mode DHCP vs static IP.PNG

Seriously, the time we spend to write here is much more than factory reset a R7000P and re-configure the hand full of data it from scratch as an AP - and doing it right away the way you want it ..... when I have it right the R7000P does handle it that way -> I’m setting up my NETGEAR router for the first time, how do I set it to Access Point (AP) mode? ... the biggest problem is that the WAN/Internet port must be used ... obvious to avoid the duplicated default LAN IP.

@roger_h wrote:

Only routerlogin.xxx doesn't and I prefer using an IP.  If I had 2 AP's attached routerlogin wouldn't work anyway. 

The routerlogin.xxx is captured on the AP, and works while being connected to that device wireless or Ethernet - of course it works with one, two, or hundreds of devices on a LAN - because it applies to a small subset of devices only. Very similar the mywifiext.xxx when working with Netgear extenders. This does connect you to the "next hop" device.

@roger_h wrote:

It might not be intuitive. Consumer routers don't make good AP for experienced network admins anyway - to much user guidance like for duplicating wireless SSIDs and so on ... good for consumers, bad for us. But once more, this is not the problem here - the weak point is between chair and keyboard, sorry.

Message 4 of 5
roger_h
Aspirant

I noticed a lot of complaints about not being able to access the AP after setup  with no clear 

resolution. When it happened to me twice, I didn't relish going to the barn again in the rain.

The router address is 192.168.1.1 and the address in the r7000p was also 192.168.1.1

and except for not being able to access the AP it was working?  No ip  was assigned.

Occasionaly I could access the AP via routerlogin.net, I decided to change the lan ip to 192.168.1.139 from 192.168.1.1 and after reboot I could access it using 192.168.1.139 but not from routerlogin.net and the AP was still working?

After my last  post I thought that because the lan ip was no the same as the router ,  I should  retry the AP setup. I did and this time it was assigned  to 192.168.1.102 with gateway set to 192.168.1.1 the router ip.  Now the AP is reachable from routerlogin.net and 192.168.1.102 as expected and the AP is working fine. So I'll accept  the previous post as I obviously didn't set it up perfectly to begin with.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7