Re: r7000p firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 experiences

nhinkle
Apprentice

r7000p firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 experiences

I thought I would start a thread for people to share their experiences with this version of r7000p firmware.

I just updated today.  First thing I noticed is the attached devices screen no longer has the graphics associated with device type identification (in fact, device type is gone).  Otherwise, no immediate disaster. 

I have a lot going on my network right now, so I havent' done at speed testing.  

Hopefully, others will chime in and this thread will become useful for those debating the update.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 53
Debz67
Aspirant

Thanks for opening the thread& the warning about icons. I'm just about to upgrade my own firmware &will keep you posted

Message 2 of 53
Topshelf22
Aspirant

I have several devices which will no longer connect after taking the update. Not all devices but a few of my echo devices at least will no longer connect even after power cycle. Haven’t done any further troubleshooting.
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 53
Topshelf22
Aspirant

It appeared that some android devices including some models of amazon echo would no longer connect despite power cycle on both ends and try to rejoin the network. I rolled back to the previous firmware and everything immediately connected without reboot and all is well. Only android based devices were affected in my scenario.
Message 4 of 53
Artey
Aspirant

Doesn't this version just drop your internet connection every week or so?

I'm back on V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 and while that solves the internet issue, this version seems to have wifi degrading issues.

I wonder how many more years it will take for them to be able to release a stable firmware for this product.

Message 5 of 53
IrvSp
Master

@Artey, @Topshelf22, please READ the subject before tagging on.

@Artey, you clearly have an R7000, not an R7000P, different firmware and although it may have common problems, they are NOT the same firmware. R7000's have problems with V1.0.9.64. If you are actually having a problem, search the forum for that firmware and if you find one still active (recently updated) with your problem and reply to that one. If none do describe your problem start a new thread.

@Topshelf22, you posted you have an R6900P, different hardware, but the firmware could be the same? Still, you should be in an R6900P thread, not this one, so you too should star a new one or find an active one for the R6900P with the same problem.

Message 6 of 53
Debz67
Aspirant

So far so good. No connection or speed issues

Message 7 of 53
d700
Tutor

First time caller here. Came to the forum due to R7000P hanging/slow on daily basis after installing this firmware. From what I can tell, its HTML pages hanging, not a WiFi speed issue. Don't know if its something with DNS. A hard reboot of the router clears it. When it starts, even accessing routerlogin.net will hang for 20-30 seconds.

I'm about done with Netgear, their hardware may be state of the art but their bloated firmware seems like the 2nd coming of Windows Vista. 

Other persistent issues or missing features:

-Can't change the Administrator user name (this is such a security flaw)

-Safari will store the username/password but something in the login page prevents autofill, so have to look it up every time.

-No ability to schedule a reboot or a power on (which would be really useful when you have shiite firmware like this latest.

And curse Apple for getting out of the networking business....I went 18 months without need a reboot when using their extreme products...plus software was a job compared to Netgear.

Anyone recommend alternatives?

Message 8 of 53
d700
Tutor

I reached out to Netgear on a Twitter, they directed me back here saying Netgear support monitors the forums for bugs. Also said there are a couple conditions that could be causing this. I don’t want to have to pay premium support just to get this looked at. Anyone else experiencing this?

or am I a one off case?

Message 9 of 53
Pet_Halibut
Guide

This firmware is a disaster, wifi keeps dropping (wired connections remain OK), it's unusable. Reverted to an earlier firmware, more stable that way but still have to regularly reboot it because wifi is degrading and starts dropping again after a day or two.

I'm really not satisfied and now my router is no longer under warranty, so I'll have to get a refund from my credit card company and never, ever buy Netgear equipment again.

Message 10 of 53
d700
Tutor

what earlier version is stable? Can you point me to instructions? Do I just find the file, download it and point the installer to the file?

Message 11 of 53
d700
Tutor

this just wreaks of memory leaks, memory management issues in their code. I am using the most base router configuration there is...the only advanced feature I've turned on (if you could call it that) is to configure a static IP address..hardly a device killer.

Message 12 of 53
Pet_Halibut
Guide

Right now I'm running a firmware in the 1.3.0.x trunk. It used to be stable but I don't remember with which version so I'm testing them all. If it keeps on failing then I'll toss this router. Same issue as described here (different model) https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Wifi-networks-drop-too-often/td-p/505188

In short, it's a garbage router sold at premium price and netgear won't fix their awful code.

Message 13 of 53
Pet_Halibut
Guide

Well, my response is moot, the router bit the dust last night, exactly 18 months after I got it. Won't connect to internet no matter what. I reset it, wiped it, flashed it, re-input all settings manually... no can do. Internet down, 5GHz wifi inoperative >>> to the garbage bin and now wasting time to get a refund from VISA (extended warranty).

Message 14 of 53
novelgazer
Initiate

I upgraded last week and have been experiencing really poor wireless performance ever since... mostly timeouts with things like streaming audio and video.  I hadn't checked the router firmware in a while, but happened to be in looking at some other settings when I noticed there were a number of security fixes available, so I applied the update.  Really wishing I hadn't now, because it had be performing very reliably before.  WIsh I'd noted the previous firmware version so I could roll back.

Message 15 of 53
Pet_Halibut
Guide

You can download previous firmwares on https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx#download

I would recommend doing a hard reset, wiping all data and then doing the setup from scratch if you downgrade.

Message 16 of 53
purfikt
Initiate

I was mildly hopeful when I saw there was a new version of the firmware for the r7000p. The last firmware was awful (1.3.1.44). At least they are still updating the router! But after reading about the bad experiences for 1.3.1.64, I think I’ll skip this one.

FWIW, I’m still rocking 1.3.1.26 and it’s SOLID! It stays up for months at a time for me, maintaining throughput.
Message 17 of 53
Pet_Halibut
Guide

Took me 2 hours but I was finally able to properly reset/wipe my R7000P and installed firmware v1.3.1.26 and it seems to be working fine so far - time will tell.

During my testing, I also tried the latest firmware and it dropped internet access for wifi clients after 20 minutes. Wiped 3 times and back to 1.3.1.26 and things appear to be working.

Still not happy because of potential security issues that can't get patched since the newer firmwares are garbage.

Message 18 of 53
enduser67
Initiate

After reading the mostly negative results of the v1.3.1_64 upgrade I'm avoiding it and will stay with the v1.3.1._44.  My hope was that 64 would at least address the issue where the router won't display attached devices but apparently it doesn't.  I am also thoroughly disappointed in Netgear's total neglect over the many months toward resolving the "attached device" known problem.  In addition, It would also be nice if Netgear would clearly warn users to not perform firmware upgrades on a wireless device, you must use only a hardwired PC or device.  Yes, the upgrade will fail, you'll fry your router and get to buy a new one as I did.  This is the last NG router I will ever own.  I am disappointed and angry beyond belief with the poor service and lack of attention to by this company.

Message 19 of 53
nhinkle
Apprentice

So, I have been using this firmware for a little over a month now.  It has been relatively stable for me.   

I have had one instance of an R7000 in bridge mode losing it DHCP forwarding while attached to this router, but it could also have happened when smart connect moves the r7000 to the ex8000 that is running in AP mode (wired backhaul) which is attached to this rounter.  That used to happen to me almost daily on the previous firmware.  All told, 1 reboot in the past 5 weeks.

I have not experienced any performance degradation that other have complained of here.

Message 20 of 53
cjina2
Tutor

That is what happened to me! I don’t know the version number but I started the update from the Nighthawk app on my phone and the thing never worked again. NETGEAR did an RMA because it’s still under warranty but all three options they offered cost you money. They say the first option is f

”free” but you have to provide a box and pay to ship them the bad unit. I called back and refused to pay to return their defective product. They relented and agreed to send me they replacement unit first and then I send the other back in their box and all at their cost, but they really tried to pull a fast one. 

I bought this  because it was a wire cutter pick and performance has been good for me but I’m not happy right now. 

Message 21 of 53
JohnnyBeagle
Aspirant

Router failed the Firmware Update and is now boxed up in the closet. Switched from Linksys last year and now really regretting that decision. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 22 of 53
d700
Tutor

I'm getting better experience unplugging the router every morning for a minute or so. Setting up an automatic poweroff timer plug this weekend. NG is a PITA.

Message 23 of 53
JohnnyBeagle
Aspirant

Unfortunately, mine died completely so unplugging isn't an option. Ran great until I did the firmware update.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 24 of 53
Iwongstein
Aspirant

Hi guys, i am having a similar issue with the R7000P. My NAS drops from connection from hardwire as well.

Is firmware 1.3.1.26 the most stable? if not which one is the most stable?

Best regards,

iW

Message 25 of 53
Discussion stats
Announcements