Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000p in AP mode constantly drops WiFi signal

tacos
Tutor

r7000p in AP mode constantly drops WiFi signal

I have an r7000p in AP mode (firmware  V1.3.1.64_10.1.36) connected to my Verizon fios router/gateway (fios-g1100). The wifi signal from the r7000p disappears usually 3-4 times an hour disconnecting every device attached to it wirelessly. The signal usually comes back and drops a few times within a five minute span before stabilizing and remaining for some time. I've been running a WiFi signal tracker and looked for a pattern in the periods of instability but have yet to find one.

I've turned off Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Airtime Fairness with no change

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: r7000p in AP mode constantly drops WiFi signal

Try installing version 1.3.0.20 for the firmware, factory reset the router, and reinstall it in AP mode. Then disable auto-updates. See how stable it stays running that version. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try installing version 1.3.0.20 for the firmware, factory reset the router, and reinstall it in AP mode. Then disable auto-updates. See how stable it stays running that version. 

Message 2 of 5
tacos
Tutor

Just flashed the older firmware. I'll keep an eye on it over the next day or so and report back whether that worked

Message 3 of 5
tacos
Tutor

I clicked the wrong button but flashing the 1.3.0.20 worked ( thanks @plemans ) and it's been very stable for the past two days. I'm probably still going to return this router though as having to flash a firmware this old to get it to work doesn't sit right with me and makes it feel like a waste of money

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

It is unfortunate to have to put older firmware on it but it avoids the netgear armor which was the main update of it. 

If you don't plan on using armor, then you're not really out anything. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7