Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000p internet stops then auto-reboots since firmware V1.3.3.142_10.1.75

H8tebugs
Aspirant

r7000p internet stops then auto-reboots since firmware V1.3.3.142_10.1.75

Hi,

Seems my r7000p is not happy with this firmware.

Router lights say all is good; but no actual internet connection is possible. You can see the wifi ssid but cannot connect. Router will after a minute or so reboot (as indicated by the logs). After that it is all good until the next time. This is a daily event at this point.

Would like to roll back to previous firmware. Which worked fine.

Unfortunately due to Netgears wonderful implementation of Circle (thanks netgear); I have installed firmware V1.3.3.142_10.1.75  Hotfix.

Does anyone know the specifics with regards to MITM attacks because of the circle daemon issue?

I read that:

" it appears that Netgear offers firmware updates over plain HTTP and not the secure HTTPS protocol. Because of this, malicious actors could hijack the Circle update process and cause a Man-in-the-middle attack via remote code execution. This could cause lasting damage to your routers, your home network, as well as anyone using your network. In short, many users were left vulnerable thanks to a feature they neither used nor were aware of."

It mentions home network; but can anyone give me a better idea of the likelyhood of being compromised when a router not using the above 'hotfix' is used in a home network? (no other remote access is enabled such a vpn etc).

Need to decide whether to roll back and risk it or abandon Netgear and buy a replacement elsewhere

Appreciate anybodies thoughts here; but especially from those who know their stuff so to speak.

Cheers in advance.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
H8tebugs
Aspirant

Re: r7000p internet stops then auto-reboots since firmware V1.3.3.142_10.1.75

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset back ON. I would disconnect all other wired devices from the router while you do this with just 1 wired PC and web browser connected. 

Well unfortunately, following FURRYe38's solution did not work either. However I did manage to resolve the issue by taking an 2 extra steps.

As per  FURRYe38  suggestion; I made sure to:

• Ensure that no other device, only the PC doing the factory reset was connected to the router.

But I also (as an extra step);

• Removed the 'Telstra (Sagemcom F@st 5355)' I was using as a modem with a Netgear D6220 configured in modem only mode.

My reasoning behind this was to help ensure compatibility as I was connecting 2 netgear devices which I assumed should communicate with each other better. It's possible the new firmware exacerbated a pre-existing issue with the Sagemcom that was not severe enough to cause reboots etc.

The router actually rebooted itself within 10 minutes. (so it wasn't looking good at this stage).

The 2nd step I took was to:

• Perform a re-flash of the same firmware.

Actually got a warning that I was flashing the same firmware and was I sure I wanted to proceed.

To my surprise; the re-flash preserved my configuration (I had assumed I would have to re-config from scratch)

Router has been up for almost 4 days now and no issues. So it appears the problem is resolved.

Thanks to FURRYe38 for contributing to the solution.

Side note:

I have also got a bit more download speed at the cost of upload speed. This again I assume; is due to Netgear modems not handling FTTN over long distance from the node as well as other brands. I also have a dedicated DM200 and it shows the same behaviour.

We lose about 1.5Mbit/s upload speed using Netgear. This is significant because where we are, we are lucky to get 8 Mbit/s. So now we have 6.5Mbit/s.

Political opinion: Because I believe it has some relevance here. Feel free to ignore

The Liberal Party's world class joke on the taxpayer (NBN) well and truly sucks. Then again pretty much everything they do is toxic to the community. Yes I am well aware I am stating the blatantly obvious to anyone who takes to time avoid MSM and seek the truth from independant journalists. I'm venting here because we, like so many others have dealt with countless hours over several years of woeful quality of service from the NBN.This is a direct result of the half-baked, backward implementation using end of use technology (copper wire) that has resulted in our new network infrastructure being out of date before it was even finished.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset back ON. I would disconnect all other wired devices from the router while you do this with just 1 wired PC and web browser connected. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 6
H8tebugs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Telstra (Sagemcom F@st 5355) in bridge mode. No issues with any previous firmware versions.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

• Modem is powered down.
  • Router is factory reset prior to firmware upgrade, allow to boot and then restarted.
  • Flashing is done with firmware downloaded to PC and installed over ethernet via web interface.
  • Router is allowed to boot and then powered down.
  • Modem is powered on and once it indicateds it is connected to the ISP (solid green led); the router is powered on.
  • Once the router able to accept log in via the web interface; a manual setup is performed.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

• Internet is lost on both ethernet and Wifi. This was tested using 2 pc's using ethernet, 1 laptop using Wifi
  • Wifi channel used to test connection is 5Ghz.

We are in a house on a decent size block of land. According to 'innsider' there is no one on the 5Ghz band within range.
We do pick up some on 2.4Ghz. We on channel though that in the few times we checked; has no one else on it. We rarely check it since the has been no need to. I have since checked it and there was no one on the same channel. In addition; our signal strength is at easily 20db greater than the strongest 'neighbour' signal.

To be thorough, I will try your suggested method and hopefully it will resolve the issue.

Thanks for the reply; much appreciated.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 6
H8tebugs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well unfortunately, following FURRYe38's solution did not work either. However I did manage to resolve the issue by taking an 2 extra steps.

As per  FURRYe38  suggestion; I made sure to:

• Ensure that no other device, only the PC doing the factory reset was connected to the router.

But I also (as an extra step);

• Removed the 'Telstra (Sagemcom F@st 5355)' I was using as a modem with a Netgear D6220 configured in modem only mode.

My reasoning behind this was to help ensure compatibility as I was connecting 2 netgear devices which I assumed should communicate with each other better. It's possible the new firmware exacerbated a pre-existing issue with the Sagemcom that was not severe enough to cause reboots etc.

The router actually rebooted itself within 10 minutes. (so it wasn't looking good at this stage).

The 2nd step I took was to:

• Perform a re-flash of the same firmware.

Actually got a warning that I was flashing the same firmware and was I sure I wanted to proceed.

To my surprise; the re-flash preserved my configuration (I had assumed I would have to re-config from scratch)

Router has been up for almost 4 days now and no issues. So it appears the problem is resolved.

Thanks to FURRYe38 for contributing to the solution.

Side note:

I have also got a bit more download speed at the cost of upload speed. This again I assume; is due to Netgear modems not handling FTTN over long distance from the node as well as other brands. I also have a dedicated DM200 and it shows the same behaviour.

We lose about 1.5Mbit/s upload speed using Netgear. This is significant because where we are, we are lucky to get 8 Mbit/s. So now we have 6.5Mbit/s.

Political opinion: Because I believe it has some relevance here. Feel free to ignore

The Liberal Party's world class joke on the taxpayer (NBN) well and truly sucks. Then again pretty much everything they do is toxic to the community. Yes I am well aware I am stating the blatantly obvious to anyone who takes to time avoid MSM and seek the truth from independant journalists. I'm venting here because we, like so many others have dealt with countless hours over several years of woeful quality of service from the NBN.This is a direct result of the half-baked, backward implementation using end of use technology (copper wire) that has resulted in our new network infrastructure being out of date before it was even finished.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7