Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7500v2 causing landline phone issues

mark776
Tutor

r7500v2 causing landline phone issues

My router is connected to a modem from the phone company that supplies fiber internet and phone.  Our phones started dropping out like a cell phone does when it goes out of range.  If I disconnect the nighthawk, the problem goes away.  The phone company has replaced the modem.  I have tried different cables.  I reset the nighthawk back to factory and downloaded latest firmware and I am still getting the problem.  How is the nighthawk network connection affecting the phone service in the modem?  Anyone else had this problem?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mark776
Tutor

Re: r7500v2 causing landline phone issues

I have found the answer to my problem.  It was easy and straitforward.  I threw the nighthawk into the trash and am running on an old belkin until my new tp-link arrives.  I wish to thank the community for its mature and professional responses in helping me come to my solution.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> My router [...]

That's an R7500v2?  Firmware version?

> [...] is connected [...]

How, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet
ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

> [...] to a modem [...]

Not a very detialed description of that device.  Maker?  Model
number?

> [...] from the phone company [...]

Which?

> [...] that supplies fiber internet and phone. [...]

How, exactly?  Is this some DSL service, or what?

> [...] Our phones [...]

I know nothing about them, or how they're connected to what, either.

Message 2 of 9
mark776
Tutor

@antinode wrote:

> My router [...]

That's an R7500v2?  Firmware version?

R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi firmware 1.0.3.48

> [...] is connected [...]

How, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet
ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

I assumed there was only 1 way to connect --- from the yellow wan port to the modem.  Tried several different ethernet cables.  If there is another way to correctly connect, please let me know.

> [...] to a modem [...]

Not a very detialed description of that device.  Maker?  Model
number?

Unimportant, the phone company brought a couple of completely different models trying to find the problem.  They, like myself, assumed it was their equipment.  The problem is with the router.  As soon as nighthawk was disconnected or powered off the problem went away.  They left one of their routers (which worked fine) while I tried to find the problem with the nighthawk.  Reset the router, downloaded latest firmware.  Tried nighthawk again and it worked for a couple of days, then problem came back.

> [...] from the phone company [...]

Which?

Doesn't matter.

> [...] that supplies fiber internet and phone. [...]

How, exactly?  Is this some DSL service, or what?

I do not think you would use dialup over fiber.  The fiber comes into the house to their modem which connects to the house phones for phone service and dsl for the router.

> [...] Our phones [...]

Some people still have land lines and what models are irrelevant, because the problem affected all phones.

I know nothing about them, or how they're connected to what, either.

I should not have to explain how non-cell phones are connected and work in a home, it is not important to my problem.

Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

>    Not a very detialed description of that device.  Maker?  Model
> number?
>
> Unimportant, [...]

Thanks for your assessment, but it's apparently more important to me
than it is to you.

> [...] The fiber comes into the house to their modem which connects to
> the house phones for phone service and dsl for the router. [...]

That makes very little sense.  It might make more sense if I knew
what your (apparently not simply a) "modem" actually was.

> Doesn't matter.

If you are so certain of what's useful information and what's not,
then you don't really need help from someone like me, who wants to know
more about your situation than "doesn't work".

Message 4 of 9
mark776
Tutor

Mr. Guru, if you do not know anything about what might be causing my problem, please do not reply.  The problem is with the router.  If you think the problem is with overheating, a short, bad wan port, or even firmware and can be fixed, your help would be appreciated.  Please respond with pertinant and useful comments. Otherwise, your attidude and questions are showing your lack of knowledge.  I am looking for someone who has had or heard of a similar problem.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
mark776
Tutor

As a test, I attached an old router to the dsl and then plugged the nighthawk wan port into one of its lan ports.  The phone problem stopped, but, even tho i'm still getting 100Mbps wireless, this is not a real solution.  I don't know what kind of "static/bits?" the nighthawk could be putting out that the old router would stop that messes up the fiber modem's phone port.

Message 6 of 9
mark776
Tutor

I have found the answer to my problem.  It was easy and straitforward.  I threw the nighthawk into the trash and am running on an old belkin until my new tp-link arrives.  I wish to thank the community for its mature and professional responses in helping me come to my solution.

Message 7 of 9
DGallo
Tutor

Hi @mark776 , out of curiosity, what router model did you bought? Did it solved the issues you had with your r7500v2?

Message 8 of 9
mark776
Tutor

I bought a tp-link ax3000 that was on sale.  Yes, it fixed the problem, but as a note, a 10+ year belkin router i had laying around also made the problem go away.  I do not know what caused the problem(hardware or firmware), but i got tired of messing with it and it went into the trash.  I feel the nighthawk should have had a number of years life left, but with the lack of support, it is time to try another manufacturer.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7