Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r7900 bricked after firmware update

mattdawg
Aspirant

r7900 bricked after firmware update

I updated my firmware last night through the admin interface.  I was on wireless and I waited the 2 to 3 minutes it recommends, but I noticed that the wifi hadn't come back up.  I looked at my router and the power button was white but blinking and the only other led was the led indicating what my cable was plugged into.

So I let it wait all night to see if it came back up.  However there was no change by morning.  I couldn't connect via wifi or direct cable.  So I power cycled the router.  Still same issue after it finished booting up.  Reading online it looks like my firmware has corrupted.  I tried a factory reset several times, but still no change.  I can't ping the router, and I can't connect to the router via network cable.  How do I fix this?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Greetings,

If the power button never stops blinking, either the router did not fully boot, the FW is corrupt or there is an issue with the power supply.  Since you tried to update the FW and have tried resetting, a bad or corrupt flash is likely. 

Its easy to fix.

Grab a copy of the latest FW and unzip to your desktop.  Always upgrade from a PC connected via wire.  The wireless thing can/might work, until one time it doesn't and here you are. 

Here are the instructions for TFTP reflash

TFTP reflash is simple I promise.  However it relies on timing and correct command usage.  Don't be discouraged if you have to try it a few times before you get it. 

There are plenty of us here who can help if you get stuck.  Also, don't worry, you won't hurt the router by attempting this operation.

First boot.  Be sure to disable Auto-Updates..  this will be the very first screen you see after flashing has completed successfully. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

Greetings,

If the power button never stops blinking, either the router did not fully boot, the FW is corrupt or there is an issue with the power supply.  Since you tried to update the FW and have tried resetting, a bad or corrupt flash is likely. 

Its easy to fix.

Grab a copy of the latest FW and unzip to your desktop.  Always upgrade from a PC connected via wire.  The wireless thing can/might work, until one time it doesn't and here you are. 

Here are the instructions for TFTP reflash

TFTP reflash is simple I promise.  However it relies on timing and correct command usage.  Don't be discouraged if you have to try it a few times before you get it. 

There are plenty of us here who can help if you get stuck.  Also, don't worry, you won't hurt the router by attempting this operation.

First boot.  Be sure to disable Auto-Updates..  this will be the very first screen you see after flashing has completed successfully. 

Message 2 of 5
myersw
Master

And now you understand why they warn not to update over wireless. 😉

I agree that the tftp process is normally not a very painful process and works. 

Message 3 of 5
mattdawg
Aspirant

Yes, that is what I needed.  I didn't think to statically set the IP.

Thanks,

-Matt

Message 4 of 5

@mattdawg,

Glad it helped. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation