Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r7960p admin sign in

JimGabler
Aspirant

r7960p admin sign in

When I set up my R7960P router sign in, i failed to change the user name from "admin"

How do I change the user name from "admin"?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JimGabler
Aspirant

Thanks - seems unusual, so the security is just in the password.

Jim

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can't change the admin login name. Only the password. 

Message 2 of 5
JimGabler
Aspirant

I am shocked that "admin" as the user name to sign onto my router is fixed. That sems like a security problem, as the rule is to always change the default user name & password to reduce hackers getting onto your network. 

If I remember correctly, I could change the user name during installation. If so, do I need to go back to facotry default and start over, or is "admin" a permanent, default user name for signing onto Netgear routers. Even the Netgear Extender allows a different user name. Please explain?

Thanks,

Jim

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@JimGabler wrote:

I am shocked that "admin" as the user name to sign onto my router is fixed.

This is consumer material. Most issues we're reading here in the community is that users don't know, don't remember passwords, or are mixing up administration and wireless passwords. And you seriously what to add yet another hurdle?

@JimGabler wrote:

That sems like a security problem, as the rule is to always change the default user name & password to reduce hackers getting onto your network. 

Don't expose any system like a consumer router allowing a login with just a username and a password to the Internet.

You should think about long, no longer, and much longer passwords to add complexity. The right way to do it would be client auth certificates, not silly passwords (only).

@JimGabler wrote:

If I remember correctly, I could change the user name during installation. If so, do I need to go back to facotry default and start over, or is "admin" a permanent, default user name for signing onto Netgear routers.

No, it's fixed to admin.

@JimGabler wrote:

Even the Netgear Extender allows a different user name. Please explain?

Well, I'm shocked why and how that was designed and was rolled out to the customers. They request an email address as a username but offer no way for a username or password recovery - even if the email address would allow this easily.

Message 4 of 5
JimGabler
Aspirant

Thanks - seems unusual, so the security is just in the password.

Jim

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7