NightOwl326
Luminary

r8500 DD-WRT Kong builds anyone tried it?

If so you feedback would be appreciated on your experience with Kong builds on the r8500.

Message 1 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Re: r8500 DD-WRT Kong builds anyone tried it?

Looks like this guy has (link).

Message 2 of 11
doubleroll
Apprentice

I downloaded the firmware but did not try it yet...

Message 3 of 11
Deanmastjr
Star

Yes I have, seems to be pretty stable, had actually sent netgear a replacement request before I tried this firmware. They sent back a list of 5 things they wanted to know about. I explained the issues I was having (until this open sorce firmware) and all of the firmware versions I have tried including this open source firmware which seems pretty stable. They have approved my RMA..... So if I have issues with the new one they are sending I will just install this open source firmware, seems the most stable so far... and will not affect warranty since they advertise as open source Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
Roadrunner79
Guide

When you run the .chk file and it installs is this when you check for updates within ddwrt to download the bin file? where do you get the bi file for the r8500????

Message 5 of 11
macnsal
Aspirant

I know this is an old post but I see it come up in a lot of other forums as well. If you are not sure about DD WRT or openWRT please be careful.  I'll give my opinion of kong DD-WRT at the end. 

I understand that Netgear advertises new routers as open source, but its still very easy to brick. It's pretty much like trying to jail break an iphone, if you miss a step and brick your phone its screwed.   Also be careful on which DD-WRT firmware you decide to run. Some are offical builds and some are not.  I reccomend DD-WRT only for a very very very few reasons. Setting up your router as a VPN client and not a server is the most popular reason. (NETGEAR make the router the openvpn client and 99% of people wont need DD-WRT)  Please keep in mind and do the research, many companies offer "openvpn" but are going to have you set up a PPTP connection. This is an extremely bad and do not, I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS! You are basically hooking up your network to a server with zero security features in place.  You might as well set your computer up in starbucks and leave it there forever, its the samething.  

Second most popular reason people swap to DD-WRT is to magically "boost" your wireless signal.  Again yes this can be done but there isnt a simple button that activates a boost mode.  There are channel widths and MHz you have to switch to and you need to know which ones to use.  Setting up the wrong stuff and applying the wrong power settings can burn out your mother board pretty simple to do actually. It will also piss off a lot of your neighbors if your in a apartment complex and you screw up.  I do not recommend this a justifiable reason for novice user to swap over to DD-WRT. You will not notice a difference I can promise, unless its a very specific reason. 5Ghz also has a few things to set up and you need to be aware of these.  Theres a good resason the American goverment is trying to step in and basically impose rules that make DD-WRT incapable of being used.  

The last main reason people use DD-WRT is so they can directly allocate bandwith to certain devices, and limit others who are hogging all the internet.  Sounds great in theory but if you plan on doing this with your XBOX, good luck. Again this isnt as simple as sliding a bar left and right.  You must know which ports need to be opened or closed. There are many many many forums dedicated strictly to getting an xbox working after installing DD-WRT.   Also this might be a stock feature with the netgear genie, im really not sure. 

Most of the other popular options are now incorperated directly into the factory firmware and no need to swap to DD-WRT for these. Monitor usage, port forwarding, watchdog, and a monitoring system. (google a specific thing you actually need and it may or may not be supported by netgear hardware or DDWRT firmware) 

KONG Review- I love Kong DD-WRT and its a very heavily supported community that I highly recommend anyone thinking of DD-WRT.  Currently theres alot of issues with drivers, wifi speeds, memory loss, and a few other issues.  He just released a test build today that ill try out and see how it goes.  Keep in mind that his builds usually get changed 4,5 even 6 times a month.  Sometimes your settings can be installed just fine and other times your going to be setting up everything from scratch.  It is extremely straight forward to do and even a beginner who reads can do it.  I suggest people read heavily into your specific router, and specific firmware builds. Some people are still 4 or 5 updates behind because of instability issues going around.  The support forums, community and everything that you will need is a complete cluster. Most DD-WRT people are not very beginner friendly and will speak words that make no sense, or just lack detail because they assume you should already know this.  Be ready to spend hours upon hours upon hours finding the most up todate information. If its older then a couple months consider it trash and will break your router if you use it. (Unless you specifically talk to someone and get every questioned answered...BE CAREFUL) 

Message 6 of 11
chascent
Luminary

There is a test build out yesterday that is absolutley lightning fast and wireless range is now better than the stock

Netgear Firmware. They finally fixed the restrictions on the chips  and this is the best

firmware bar none to date.

CC

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 7 of 11
macnsal
Aspirant

Yea I am playing with it now actually.  So far it is defintely the best build. I went from 30225 to 30284 (i think is the new one) thing is stupid fast. The memory leak is gone as well.  On 30225 i was only getting 20 Mbps. I'm now back over 100 on 30284. 

Message 8 of 11

I'm a recent transplant from DD-WRT (long time DD-WRT user back from my R7000 days).  I installed it as soon as I got my R8500 in March and used it until this week when I switched to the Netgear FW.  DD-WRT was quite stable for me on the R8500 but it just never performed like the Netgear firmware.  Both signal and throughput was weak on DD-WRT so I decided to come back to the Netgear FW.  Right after I left and reported better signal and througput using Netgear FW, Kong finally solved the weak signal issue so I believe now, DD-WRT finally has as good a signal as the Netgear FW.  But with some disclaimers.  At the moment, there's only one channel selection for both 5Ghz bands in the current version as they haven't worked out how to do the channel selection yet with the better WiFi signal.  Also, my ISP's down speed is 230 Mbps and I've not been able to hit that number consistently using various speed tests even on the wired connection with DD-WRT.  Using DD-WRT, I'm lucky to get half that speed save for an occasional test that, for some reason, will actually reach the 230 Mbps.  With the Netgear FW, I get 230 Mbps consistently.  I think it's been explained on the DD-WRT forum that the Netgear FW uses hardware NAT which is the reason for the increased performance on Netgear FW.  DD-WRT devs argue that hardware NAT is less secure, but I don't know if that's true as I'm not an expert in network protocols.

Long story short, if you want max performance, I think the Netgear FW is the way to go.  If you actually need some of the features of DD-WRT, it's stable enough to use but with some performance degradation.  For now, I'll wait until they get all the kinks worked out and then try DD-WRT again.

Mike

Message 9 of 11
doubleroll
Apprentice

I tried the latest DD-WRT yesterday and after a few hours decided to go back to stock Netgear build. It has better range and throughput. Now I wish Netgear woould step up their development and add some features...Jumbo frame support wouold be one that would probably be an easy addition.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11

Curious why you went back to the Netgear FW if the latest showed good signal and througput?  I was tempted to go back again and try the latest DD-WRT but I didn't because I doubted that it would fix the slowdown I see on my wired connection (where I can't reach my ISP's 230 Mbps max).  I also hesitate to switch back and forth often because I feel like I almost bricked my router when I went from DD-WRT to Netgear last week.  I did everything right (AFAIK) by choosing the Netgear chk file in the Kong DD-WRT firmware, choosing reset to factory defaults, and updating.  But when it rebooted, it was in a boot loop.  I tried about a dozen times, holding the reset button for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds at various points while it was boot looping and finally one time a few seconds after it rebooted, I pressed the reset button for 5 seconds and it started working.  Apparently you have to hit the reset for the right amount of time and AT the right time during the boot process.  No trouble since: on Netgear FW now.  But I now "fear" the change back from DD-WRT to Netgear FW.

Mike

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements