r8500 Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

ws46060-2
Aspirant

r8500 Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

My r8500 tells me there is new firmware to fix a security issue.  When I try to update through the web GUI, I get Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server 

The web gui says the new firmware is 1.0.2.86_1.0.75

When I go directly to the Netgear support site, they say the new firmware is 1.0.2.94

I would download the firmware manually, but it there is a discrepancy between what my router expects and what Netgear would have me manually download.

Since the web gui update fails, and netgear support offers the wrong firmware number, how do I safely upgrade my router?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: r8500 Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

Welcome to the community, @ws46060-2

Thank you for providing this information. I already submitted it to our engineering team to check the correct link in order for the GUI to fetch the latest firmware available. 

You can always update the firmware manually by downloading the firmware and uploading it through the admin page. 

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 7
ws46060-2
Aspirant

Link still doesn't work.  Also Netgear support offers a different firmware version than the one my router thinks it needs.

How do I know the manually downloaded version won't hurt my router?

Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They might have not corrected the link in order for the GUI to fetch the correct firmware. 

It wouldn't hurt your router as long as you make sure that it's the correct firmware for the correct model version of your router. 

You can always find the correct firmware from the download center. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi ws46060-2,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 7
ws46060-2
Aspirant

I was able to upgrade my router to V1.0.2.86_1.0.75.  I manually downloaded the firmware from netgear.  The link presented to me by the router's web gui never worked.

The reason I didn't trust the support center's version is that it did not match the one the router wanted (the the router generated link said V1.0.2.86_1.0.75).  I had to download from you R8500_V1.0.2.94_1.0.79.zip, which installed as V1.0.2.86_1.0.75.

Can you you see how this is confusing?

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can always see the updated version from the download center.

The GUI version should always be updated to whatever current firmware version posted from the download center. 

I had just tested the auto firmware update from the GUI and I can confirm that it has been updated. It is now redirected to the latest fw 1.0.2.94.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E