Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r9000 100mbps Limit

dustinf2005
Aspirant

r9000 100mbps Limit

Hi,

I have a r9000 Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 that is a little over 2 years old. It has been factory reset to the default settings, and is running the latest firmware (1.0.5.18). This router is in perfect condition and hasn't moved since I purchased it. However, all of a sudden, I can't get over 100mbps, wired or wireless. I contacted my ISP (Cox) and they came out and ran tests on their machines, to which they were getting over 900mbps. I have the Gigablast package which is up to 1,000mbps. The lights on my router are white, which indicate I am getting over 100mbps, however, when running tests on multiplr computers with 1,000mbps NIC cards, I'm limited to 100mbps. I've tried several Cat5E and Cat6 cables to no avail. 

Here's where it gets more confusing, I also have a Netgear AC1900 r7000, and when I connect it to my modem using the same exact cables to the same exact computers, I'm getting well over 100mbps. Does anyone else agree that this seems like an issue with the router or does anyone have any suggestions on ways I can troubleshoot this? Also, has anyone ever encountered this issue?

Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: r9000 100mbps Limit

maybe the port went bad. 

If you go to the ip address/debug.htm  (so: usually 192.168.1.1/debug.htm)  or whatever you use for your ip address, most routers have a wan port mirror to port 1. Not 100% on the R9000 as I don't have one but all my other routers have some form of it. try checking that, reboot the router using port 1 of the lan ports as a wan port. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem is it connected to? 

If you setup the R7000 as the router and connect the R9000 to it (just for testing) are you able to get >100mbps? 

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware, factory reset, and tried running it with the default settings? Reason I say reinstall the firmware is if something was corrupt, a reset of the firmware only removes settings, it doesn't overwrite the firmware. I'd recommend any firmware changes be done over a hardwired connection. 

Message 2 of 10
dustinf2005
Aspirant

My router is connected to a Arris SB8200. When connecting my r9000 as an access point to my r7000, the lights are white, indicating gigabit speeds. However, when hardwired to dpifferent computers using Cat5E & Cat6 cables separately, I'm limited to under 100mbps.

In regards to firmware, I rolled back to a previous version, still received the same issue. Then I updated to the most recent firmware using default factory settings and I still received the same issue. After this I performed a factory reset using factory ssid, and still the same issue. At this point I'm not sure what to test.

A friend of mine brought over an Asus ROG Rapture AX11000 for me to test and it worked perfectly fine with the same cables connected to the same computers that failed to get over 100mbps with the r9000.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@dustinf2005 wrote:

My router is connected to a Arris SB8200. When connecting my r9000 as an access point to my r7000, the lights are white, indicating gigabit speeds. However, when hardwired to dpifferent computers using Cat5E & Cat6 cables separately, I'm limited to under 100mbps.---when you're connected to the R7000?

In regards to firmware, I rolled back to a previous version, still received the same issue. Then I updated to the most recent firmware using default factory settings and I still received the same issue. After this I performed a factory reset using factory ssid, and still the same issue. At this point I'm not sure what to test.

A friend of mine brought over an Asus ROG Rapture AX11000 for me to test and it worked perfectly fine with the same cables connected to the same computers that failed to get over 100mbps with the r9000.

try checking the pins on the r9000 ethernet jack. maybe one is bent/dirty/corroded. 

Message 4 of 10
dustinf2005
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

@dustinf2005 wrote:

My router is connected to a Arris SB8200. When connecting my r9000 as an access point to my r7000, the lights are white, indicating gigabit speeds. However, when hardwired to dpifferent computers using Cat5E & Cat6 cables separately, I'm limited to under 100mbps.---when you're connected to the R7000?

try checking the pins on the r9000 ethernet jack. maybe one is bent/dirty/corroded. 

Yes, I setup my r7000 as my main router since the r9000 started limiting me to 100mbps and started using my r9000 as an access point to cover the rest of the house. However, the same result happened when the r9000 was used as main router and access point. 

I used a can of air to clean out any dirt in the Internet port and attached a picture of it. Looks pretty brand new to me, but I appreciate any and all troubleshooting tips.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

maybe the port went bad. 

If you go to the ip address/debug.htm  (so: usually 192.168.1.1/debug.htm)  or whatever you use for your ip address, most routers have a wan port mirror to port 1. Not 100% on the R9000 as I don't have one but all my other routers have some form of it. try checking that, reboot the router using port 1 of the lan ports as a wan port. 

Message 6 of 10
dustinf2005
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

maybe the port went bad. 

Do I need to be connected to the internet (modem) when doing this? Also, should I connect my ethernet to the WAN port or LAN1 on the router?

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try it first with the R7000 acting as router since its already set up that way. 

When its connected, you should be able to run the lan cable from the r7000 to the R9000's port 1 lan port. 

Message 8 of 10
dustinf2005
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

maybe the port went bad. 

@plemans = BRILLIANT!!!

Your solution solved my problem! I found your solution nowhere in the r9000 documentation, nor did I find it anywhere online. Truly thankful for your working solution. Just baffled as to how this could have happened, as you can see from the picture, the port shows no sign of damage.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear that it worked!

Is it still in warranty? You can check that by goign to "Mynetgear" at the top, registering an account and then the device. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7