Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r9000 x10 iOS VPN Subnet Issue

gbx10
Aspirant

r9000 x10 iOS VPN Subnet Issue

Hi guys,

I recently bought the x10 router for home and as I was looking to upgrade my 5 year old router with something that'll last me for another 5 years. The VPN server feature is what attracted me to this router as I'd like to VPN into my network to access my NAS remotely from my iphone.

I've followed the guides but I can't seem to get this to work and every post around this issue (there are many) is pretty much unsolved.

My home/internal/LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Everything works at home and all devices can talk to each other.

Now when I VPN into my router using my iPhone (4G connection), whilst the connection is successful, I get an IP of 192.168.2.x - a different subnet. Because of this, I can't reach any of my local devices that are in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

My mac can ping my iPhone so I know it's connected correctly but I just can't figure out how to get the subnets to talk to each other. Some forums suggest static route setups but that didn't work either.

Yes, firmware upgraded, router reset, etc.

Any help would be greately appreciated as at the moment I'm getting this serious feeling that I just wasted a whole lotta money...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: r9000 x10 iOS VPN Subnet Issue

Unfortunately, Apple is to blame for this.  iOS only supports TUN type tunnels.  This uses a different subnet to function.  The drawback of this is that apps that rely on broadcast protocols will not work because broadcasts stay within a subnet.

Your iPhone should still be able to connect to the NAS by IP address.  If the NAS is using the router as the default gateway, then return traffic should have no problem getting back to the iPhone.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Unfortunately, Apple is to blame for this.  iOS only supports TUN type tunnels.  This uses a different subnet to function.  The drawback of this is that apps that rely on broadcast protocols will not work because broadcasts stay within a subnet.

Your iPhone should still be able to connect to the NAS by IP address.  If the NAS is using the router as the default gateway, then return traffic should have no problem getting back to the iPhone.

Message 2 of 3
gbx10
Aspirant

Thank you TheEther.

*And, thank you, Apple...*
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation