readyshare not recognizing USB Storage

readyshare not recognizing USB Storage

I have an R8000 AC3200 router.   The external HD is plugged into USB3.   I have tried literally everything on this forum and nothing works to solve this problem

1.) USB External Drive is NOT recognized when I search in file explorer. 

2.) USB External Drive IS recognized on Readycloud

3.) This seems to be an issue with windows 10 as I've been able to access the drive before but recently something has changed on newer computers.

I am on 90 day free technical support, which I am sorry to say is terrible.    The tech could not understand me and actually suggested i call my ISP to resolve the issue just so he could get me off the phone    I was promissed a call back and never got one.

I am on free 90 day NetGear sup

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: readyshare not recognizing USB Storage

WIndows 10 has disabled the NetBIOS discovery (not not activated on a newer installation). Search on your Windows 10 system for Windows Features (Enable/Disable Windows Features) and enable at least the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client,reboot your Windows 10 system, and retry.

Open a case with Netgear support and make clear that they have to introduce WS Discovery support for the Netgear consumer routers - just adding the higher SMB protocol version alone isn't sufficient. Don't forget to add a link to this community entry with the support request.

Regards,

-Kurt. 

Message 2 of 12

I tried this first and it dd not work.   I had to end up connecting with Microsoft Support.  Netgear support was worthless.   Sorry guys.   BUt it truely was worthless.   Contcted Dell support and they wanted $119 for a one time fix as "Software is not supported"  Here is the solution.   I have deployed this twice sucessfully to two different laptops.  Note this is for Win 10 issue only

Click on this link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click on "Create windows 10 installation media"

It will install the latest version "1809" of Windows 10.   That was it.   Both laptops now recognize my External HD connected to my woreless router.

Message 3 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Hard to tell what had happened? Since the old Fall Creator Update, W10 declared SMB 1 a security risk and disabled it. That breaks NETBIOS which the R7000 and many other routers depend on for sharing USB connected drives.

There were some special cases though. IF you had SMB1 enabled when that update (and later ones) on it would keep it on. If not used within 15 days  it will be disabled. That matches what you saw, stopped working. To stop that you had to MANUALLY turn it on after it was turned off.

What you did was a manual update over an existing install or a clean install (you didn't elaborate). However it is possible it (SMB 1) will soon be disabled. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows. On that page:

=============

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
  • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves. 

===============

So the response you got before to ENABLE SMB 1 was the correct thing to do. At some point, you'll probably lose the ability again to see the shares, so just re-enable to Client and it will take care of it.

Message 4 of 12

you were 100% correct.   Its maddening.   Lost USB Drive AGAIN.  So what is it that I need to do to regain it?

Message 5 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Did you follow @schumaku's suggestion to enable SMB 1 Client in msg 2?

Did you contact Netgear about not enabling WSD so you don't need SMB 1? I fought a good fight with NG for 11 months on this. Net result, they would RMA my in warranty router and refund my money to go away. Note, other routers in the home market suffer from the same fate ir seems. Only some newer routers (and more expensive models) do not need SMB 1 to see shares.

Message 6 of 12

Interesting idea.   Can you provide a few examples or product links for routers that do not use SMB1?    I am now 100% certain based on my internet searches that this is an issue that no manuf seems interested in solving for.   Particulalrly NG whom keeps passing the hot potato

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@f_a_underwood wrote:

Can you provide a few examples or product links for routers that do not use SMB1?    I am now 100% certain based on my internet searches that this is an issue that no manuf seems interested in solving for.   Particulalrly NG whom keeps passing the hot potato

No, this question and facts put is completely wrong: You are still focus on SMB 1.0 - where newer NTGR routers like your R8000 _do_ support SMB 2.0/2.1 and SMB 3.0.

Again: The _only_ reason you have to enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS is the NetBIOS protocol used for discovery and name resolution on the (W)LAN. The Windows client will negotiate the highest protocol - so SMB 1.0 will not be used as a transport protocol.

The problem you are facing is 100% Microsoft made - some installations have SMB 1.0/CIFS client enabled - default they remove the CIFS/SMB 1.0 feature if this transport protocol is not used for a certain time. Even this behaviour is a user controllable feature (sorry, W10 currently on German):

SMB 1.0 CIFS Automatic Removal if not used.PNG

The problem Microsoft has not considered checking if there is NetBIOS host announcement and name resolution continues to be used, and they don't check of there is WSDiscovery (WSD) for the same device.

Disable the "SMB 1.0/CIFS automatic removal" feature, enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS client again, reboot - and everything will be OK.

This is the official way to support "legacy" devices like the router ReadyShare - no hack, no problem, ...  Amazing is that Dell (as a Microsoft OEM!) nor Netgear Support are able to provide this information. Sounds familiar @IrvSp isn't it?

And yes, even more amazing that the makers of these consumer devices refuse the implementation of WSD on their products - that's the only point where we can blame the vendors.

Don't know how many more times we have to explain this here ...

Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

The problem Microsoft has not considered checking if there is NetBIOS host announcement and name resolution continues to be used, and they don't check of there is WSDiscovery (WSD) for the same device.

Disable the "SMB 1.0/CIFS automatic removal" feature, enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS client again, reboot - and everything will be OK.

This is the official way to support "legacy" devices like the router ReadyShare - no hack, no problem, ...  Amazing is that Dell (as a Microsoft OEM!) nor Netgear Support are able to provide this information. Sounds familiar @IrvSp isn't it?

And yes, even more amazing that the makers of these consumer devices refuse the implementation of WSD on their products - that's the only point where we can blame the vendors.

Don't know how many more times we have to explain this here ...

Well, only the Client needs to be on. Actually the SERVER should not. That was the part attacked by the Ransomware. Check this excellent BLOG, https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/, especially the part under the heading "Explorer Network Browsing". From it:

================

3. Now all Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings in place will appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Check with your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still do not appear in this browse list after Windows devices appear; it is likely they have this protocol disabled or only support SMB1.

Note: we highly recommend you map drives and printers for your users instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier for them to locate, require less training, and are safer to use, especially when provided automatically through group policy.
===============

The 'Note' doesn't work of course if you can see the resource. NET USE and NET VIEW or any File Manager can't see the resource if SMB 1 is turned off, but does work if WSD Protocol is enabled.

Now, that said, I beleive that some of the newer NG routers (X10 or X9's) DO have WSD enabled and do NOT need SMB 1. My LAST answer from Support was that WSD was NOT in the Spec. for the R8000 (and R7000 by default) and they WOULD NOT ADD IT! They will RMA my router and BUY IT BACK...

Here is how ASUS handles it, https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/ for instance.

Basically 'consumer' product vendor's do not see the need to change it seems. I don't know why? Could it be a NVRAM shortage? Doubt it? My R8000 only seems to be 1/2 of it:

Memory Usage (Used/Total)

117MB/249MB

Of course they might need more space the 1/2 the NVRAM when they install a new version of firmware and do NOT have enough space to do that if they go over a certain memory level? Implementing WSD might push the f/w past that possibly? There has to be a reason NG will not implement WSD? Management have no clue (I shared all this info with a few moderators here and NOTHING was conveyed back to me) or there are technical reasons it can't be done (including the Support team doesn't know how)?

Since other vendors (Dell doesn't count, they don't do 'shares' for anything) of network consumer equipment and attached devices seem to be in the same position, having enabled NETBIOS for discovery, and keeping it that way, no other vendor seems to see the need to be the first to do it.

Only REAL difference between Netgear and ASUS? ASUS has come out and declared you must run SMB 1, Netgear has NOT officially.

As far as the 'actual' reason that SMB 1 should be removed, well, most if not all that is mitigated by firmware security patches and PC security s/w. The possibilty of a home user being attacked by the 'holes' in SMB 1 is very slim (at this time) if firmware and security s/w is up to date. Not running the SMB 1 Server, which was he vehicle for the Ransomware payload also helps. Doesn't mean something will not get around the safeguards in the future though, but that may not be able to be done either with the present fixes.

Yes @schumaku, this will surely come up again and again. People just are unaware of the need to run SMB 1. Wish NG came out with an official statement here and made it a Sticky, but then again, why air dirty laundry.

BTW, ASUS isn't the ONLY vendor to make a statement officially, LinkSys did too, https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=291985. Suspect that is why NG was willing to refund my purchase... the WILL NOT fix it, and I'd soon be bothering another vendor to no avail.

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Well, only the Client needs to be on. Actually the SERVER should not. That was the part attacked by the Ransomware.

Was. The known security issues in that back then 20+ year old code were fixed - on both Windows and SAMBA - in time. Probably even before most of the Blog blahs and warnings were published which are still seen as the holy book by to many. 

@IrvSp wrote:
Now, that said, I beleive that some of the newer NG routers (X10 or X9's) DO have WSD enabled and do NOT need SMB 1.

Afraid no - the R9000/X10 does also (like all newer Nighthwk Gaming Pro or Wi-Fi 6 models) no WSD on board, too.

@IrvSp wrote:
Basically 'consumer' product vendor's do not see the need to change it seems. I don't know why? Could it be a NVRAM shortage?

Ignorance mostly. Inability to change. And yes .. the open source WS-Discovery code are not very thin. But then, there should be capacity one day giving something back to the Open Source community - instead of just consuming? 

@IrvSp wrote:

Only REAL difference between Netgear and ASUS? ASUS has come out and declared you must run SMB 1, Netgear has NOT officially.

Here is how ASUS handles it, https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/ for instance.

BTW, ASUS isn't the ONLY vendor to make a statement officially, LinkSys did too, https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=291985

So either they still require SMB 1.0/CIFS transport protocol for all the applicable consumer products, or they have not added toe correct information. We've provided correct and complete information the community many times, and Netgear CHP is still unable to create a similar KB base entry or a sticky post.

@IrvSp wrote:

Yes @schumaku, this will surely come up again and again. People just are unaware of the need to run SMB 1. Wish NG came out with an official statement here and made it a Sticky, but then again, why air dirty laundry.

NTGR they prefer to add more misleading marketing to blog-like sticky posts in the community. And we continue have to eat the frustrated consumers posts here.

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@f_a_underwood wrote:

Interesting idea.   Can you provide a few examples or product links for routers that do not use SMB1?    I am now 100% certain based on my internet searches that this is an issue that no manuf seems interested in solving for.   Particulalrly NG whom keeps passing the hot potato

See for yourself.

First in an Administrative Command Prompt do a NET USE to your USB share, like this:

PS C:\> net use z: \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage
The command completed successfully.

At this point drive Z: is my USB drive.

Then do this:

===========

PS C:\> get-smbconnection

===========

and the results should look like this with your sharename and system data in it:

============

ServerName ShareName            UserName  Credential                                          Dialect  NumOpens
----------            ---------                      --------            ----------                                                 -------      --------
readyshare    usb_2.0_storage  IRV0\ir          MicrosoftAccount\i@c.com     3.1.1       1

============

You see the DIALECT? SMB 3.1.1 is running on it.

HAS nothing to do with you needing SMB 1 to see the share though.

Message 11 of 12

For all you non Tech tyoes out there.....This is what we are looking for that Does NOT come from the rude/Smug techies in this community.   Im enirely certain that there has to be SOMEONE in the Netgear company that could have posted this.   Problem SOLVED

Thanks for contacting Microsoft support. Based on our discussion here are some further tips that should help.
How to Access Network Drive.
1. Press Windows Key and R, type in the IP address of your drive ( //00.0.0.00 ) and then click OK
2. This will open File explorer with the network drive.
3. Right click the Folder and then select PIN to Quick Access.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E