repeater mode bricked my router.

savagepanda
Aspirant

repeater mode bricked my router.

I switched my router to repeater mode, and now it has only the amber light on.

tried the 10 second reset, doesn't do anything.

tried the 30,30,30 hard factory reset, still nothing.

tried setting a static IP on my laptop connected to the router via ethernet, then pinging 192.168.1.1, no response.

it now just powercycles every few minutes, and then only the amber light stays on.

The router is a few years old, am I out of options?

btw, I updated the router firmware to the latest few weeks back.  Was working fine in access point mode.

I just wanted to get better wifi coverage so wanted to try out the repeater mode.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: repeater mode bricked my router.

Greetings,

We cannot say with certainty what the problem is based on your brief description.  Since you have already tried resetting the device, this is the next step:

TFTP Reflash

Note: You can flash any FW version you want.  Newer, older, the same you had previously.  It doesn't matter. 

Currently I recommend 1.0.9.42        .60 and .64 are problematic (reported by others)

This is not a difficult procedure, but does rely largely on timing and correct execution.  You will not damage your product trying.  Don't be discouraged if you don't get it the first time.  After this you should have a better understanding about the state of your device.  Corrupt FW vs. defective product.  A bad or damaged power supply can also cause similar behavior, but start with the TFTP reflash procedure first.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 12
myersw
Master

@shadowsports 

Have you heard/seen a way to recover when folks only have wireless devices?

The tftp recovery requires a PC Ethernet connected to the router. Reason I ask is it seems more folks are wireless only with their phones and tablets. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 12

There's no way to recover via TFTP without a computer.

User stated he had a laptop.

Message 4 of 12
myersw
Master

@shadowsports wrote:
There's no way to recover via TFTP without a computer.

User stated he had a laptop.

That was my point. How do folks recover a router without having a PC or MAC? 

More and more are without the PC or MAC of yor. 

Hopefully someone will come up with a way for these folks. Not sure what it would be though. So they maybe left without a way to recover a router with a bad firmware update other then taking to a friend that does have a PC or MAC. Really bad. Should never require that.

Which means Netgear needs to figure out updates without soft bricks. 

In the first place you should not need to use tftp recovery as often as it seems on the forum threads. That is just bad firmware design IMHO. One of the reasons I no longer have a Netgear router on my network.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 12

@savagepanda wrote:

How did you go about that? Changing modes through the graphical user interface (GUI) is rarely linked to a "bricked" device.

And which of the many lights is amber? I assume that you mean the power LED, but who knows?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 12

@myersw 

For now, BIOS recovery requires iLO, iDRAC or some other physically connected device, even if it comes from the cloud (Meraki for example) .  Maybe sometime during our lifetimes we will see firmware, software and networking develop to a point where a physically connected device is no longer needed, but we aren't there.  While cell phones might be the most prevalent devices, I don't know anyone living in a non-3rd world country who doesn't own a PC (Mac or Windows)?  Only toddlers and people ready to depart from this work.  I don't feel like its a manufacturers responsibility to provide a way to recover FW, or to set up and program a device without a physical connection.  I guess they could implement a dual BIOS senario that allowed the primary BIOS to be reflashed, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting to see how many consumer grade manuafacturers jump on that band wagon.  That would eat heavily into profits.

Lets not get off topic. Man LOL Hopefully TFTP recovery will allow the OP to recover. 

Message 7 of 12
myersw
Master

@shadowsports 

Only reason I even raised the no PC/MAC is other threads on this forum where folks indicated they only had "smart" wireless connected devices. 

Now to clean cat urp out of my keyboard. 😉

Fun having cats I guess.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 12
savagepanda
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@savagepanda wrote:

How did you go about that? Changing modes through the graphical user interface (GUI) is rarely linked to a "bricked" device.

And which of the many lights is amber? I assume that you mean the power LED, but who knows?

yup changed it in the GUI, I set the mac address to be the mac of my DSL router. then hit save, it rebooted, and now we are here.

Message 9 of 12
savagepanda
Aspirant

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

We cannot say with certainty what the problem is based on your brief description.  Since you have already tried resetting the device, this is the next step:

TFTP Reflash

Note: You can flash any FW version you want.  Newer, older, the same you had previously.  It doesn't matter. 

Currently I recommend 1.0.9.42        .60 and .64 are problematic (reported by others)

This is not a difficult procedure, but does rely largely on timing and correct execution.  You will not damage your product trying.  Don't be discouraged if you don't get it the first time.  After this you should have a better understanding about the state of your device.  Corrupt FW vs. defective product.  A bad or damaged power supply can also cause similar behavior, but start with the TFTP reflash procedure first.

been at it for half an hour now, the tftp always says connect request failed.

the reset button doesn't seem to do anything.  there is no flashing lights when I press it.

on a separate dos prompt, I've done the ping -t 192.168.1.1 to continuously ping the router while i'm doing the reset operation.

i see that the ping results cycle from request timed out, to destination host  unreachable, to getting a valid reply for about 5 seconds, before again going to destination host unreachable.

Message 10 of 12
bbrunk
Aspirant

@savagepanda wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

TFTP Reflash

been at it for half an hour now, the tftp always says connect request failed.

the reset button doesn't seem to do anything.  there is no flashing lights when I press it.

on a separate dos prompt, I've done the ping -t 192.168.1.1 to continuously ping the router while i'm doing the reset operation.

i see that the ping results cycle from request timed out, to destination host  unreachable, to getting a valid reply for about 5 seconds, before again going to destination host unreachable.

------------------------

I am having the exact same experience. I've posted a pic of the ping responses (I'm using terminal on my mac). The successful pings seem to come shortly after the router reboots and the LAN light (port 1) comes on the first time .  I can post of video of the light sequence if that would be helpful.Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 8.16.37 PM.png

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 12
myersw
Master

In my experience with tftp process, I have a window open running ping and when I get a response immedately start the tftp process. That short ping window is when you can actually talk to the router. One reason why it can take multiple tries. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E