resetted ip-range after unplugging

curious3
Novice

resetted ip-range after unplugging

After installing, the router had the ip-range 198.168.1.xxx

I turned off my router for a few hours.(disconnected from electricity)

When I turned it on again, the ip-range changed to 10.0.0.xxx

I changed the ip-range back to 198.168.1.xxx. But when i had to turn off the router a few days later for a few hours, the ip-range again was resetted to 10.0.0.xxx .

What do i have to do so that the ip-range stays the same ?

There is no other router connected to my network
Message 1 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Re: resetted ip-range after unplugging

What modem do you have the router connected to?

Some modems, when they lose the connection to the ISP will issue an ip address to the connected device in the 192.168.1.x range (to allow the user to connect & configure the modem), and some Netgear routers if they detect an ip address in that range (which conflicts with the default) will switch to a 10.0.0.x network range (so that they can continue to function).

Why do you need to have the router on a 192.168.1.x range? If you don't have a compelling reason, try a different one and see if you still have problems.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I changed the ip-range back to 198.168.1.xxx. But when i had to turn off the router a few days later for a few hours, the ip-range again was resetted to 10.0.0.xxx .

This usually happens when you install the router behind broadband device that modem/gateway combo unit.

"Most" broadband modem/gateway unit can set as "bridge mode" so I would contact your ISP support the verify and get instructions.

In some case setup as bridge mode it can still do put your router in 10.x but that is not most common situation.

WAN and LAN of the netgear router will not allow same IP subnet so there for it automatically changes. Just as already been explained

Post your broadband modem/router model or call ISP support.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
curious3
Novice

It is a Ubee modem (EVM3200) provided by my isp provider

Because i made all settings (portforwarding , hyperlinks) etc with the 192.168.1.xxx range, i would like to keep that. There are no further reasons.

what i do not understand is that when I configured the router for the the first time, the 192.168.1.xxx range was automatically set, and it changes now every time to the 10.0.0.xxx range.
I believe these settings should be remembered .
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/84535-tips-upgrading-cablecom-services.html

Here is similar post on first thread at bottom

I think bee modem (EVM3200) default IP is 192.168.1.x LAN subnet. if unit is not in bridge mode you will going to have an issues. with Netgear changing to 10.x.

I'm not certain if bee modem (EVM3200) can be in bridge mode but I would contact your ISP or if that can not be done your best setup is to use R7000 as in AP mode instead of router mode. Because you end up double NAT and really doesn't benefit you this way.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation