Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router connection question

corvairbob
Tutor

router connection question

this may be the wrong board but here goes. i have 13 cameras connected to my cable modem the n600 3700 model and that modem has 22 devices total connected to it total to get out to the internet. my cameras seem to be loseing a  lot of frames and dropping the feed, so i'm thinking this is a lot of traffic and what i would like to ask is this.

will iit be better if i was to get a different type modem or router and connect my cameras to that and then connect my camera software to that device. and then somehow connect that router to my cable modem for the internet so i can then view the cameras when i'm gone?  if this would make it better to help keep the camera on and the traffic off the cable modem is there a setup somewhere i can get to help with doing this? or will thes just not wrok and i may as well leave well enough alone? thanks for any ideas and help.  bp

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

> [...] maybe now that i have extra ports available i may just plug the
> dvr into the new router directly [...]

Adding a cheap Ethernet switch would provide more Ethernet ports.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
aa3815ea
Aspirant

Its too bad they don't have a way to check your LAN connection to see if errors are occurring on any of the ports.  I need to find one that does because I am also having problems with connections to my DVR and streaming video.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

so can anyone tell me if this model will be good for connecting the cameras on and then to the n600 3700 modem?

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router

i see that i can connect this to my n600 with a cable and then the n600 is connected to the internet. and then i have the x6 with my cameras connected to that unit. does this sound like it will help my dropped out frames on my cameras? and then when the x6 is connected via the cable to the n600 i shoel get faster speed becasue the n600 is at 60 gbps speed on the internet. 

that is about all i know so far. thanks bp

Message 3 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

1. How are you viewing your cameras (locally or over the Internet)?
2. What is your subscription speed?
3. Adding a router to the existing setup may not help since the C3700 may still end up as a bottleneck. You may be better off using a stand-alone modem and a separate router with better bandwidth.

Regards,

Dexter.  i view my cameras at home and away from home.
by subscription speed are you talking about the cable speed that my internet provider is giving me? that is 60gbps
not quite sure about #3 i was hoping i could connect the cameras to the new router by wifi and then connect the tablet i view them on to the new router and get the cameras off the n600. but then connect the new router to the n600 via a lan cable and be able to view the cameras when away from home. and if they are a bit slower when away that should not be a big deal but when i'm home i would like them to not be dropping out all the time. i look at them more at home than i do away. 

i hoping that the lan cable and the connections will be able to handle faster speeds so the n600 may be able to get the signal out to the internet faset than just using wifi from the n600 then to the internet.

i think i have to many wifi devices on that n600 so that if is having trouble keeping all of them streaming good.

does this sound about right to you?  then router i just got is a Netgear WNR2500-100NAS IEEE 802.11n 450 Mbps Wireless Router

but i have my sights on this router    NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router Gigabit Ethernet

so what one will be the better one? thanks bp
Message 4 of 15
myersw
Master

by subscription speed are you talking about the cable speed that my internet provider is giving me? that is 60gbps

I assume you are talking about download speed when you say 60gbps. Since the cameras are going to the Internet the critcal speed would be the upload speed it would seem to me.

Message 5 of 15
aa3815ea
Aspirant

Yes, I would think that NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3000 router should work.  I'm sure you would have to put your modem in bybass mode.

I was going to suggest getting a modem that has 16 channels downstream and 4 up but since you wanted to make sure you view the cameras remotely then your modem with 8 chs down and 4 up would be just fine.

I have mine working with a NetGear CM500 modem and the R7800 router.  But my cameras are on a DVR connected by ethernet to the router.  I try to get away from wifi as much as possible.

Message 6 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i have that router in the mail now and when i getit i will see how it goes and let you know.  my uplink speed is 5 to 8 gbps and that is about normal from what the cable modem people tell me. they say uplink is not as fast as that is not what we are asking the internet to do most of the time. but even that uplink seems to me to be plenty fast enough for the cameras.

8 of my camera are connected to a dvr but because of the distance i have them wifi to the modem. maybe now that i have extra ports available i may just plug the dvr into the new router directly and see how it goes? that should take some of the wifi of them. i can't do that now as my ports are all busy with other things to keep the wifi free. again thanks bp.

Message 7 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] maybe now that i have extra ports available i may just plug the
> dvr into the new router directly [...]

Adding a cheap Ethernet switch would provide more Ethernet ports.

Message 8 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks seems i do  not notifacations on this board and was back looking for more answers.  i added a switch and it helped. thanks for the idea

can anyone help me with this question?

i jsut got a ac1750 r6400-100nas router it has 4 ports and a lan prot it is not a modem so what i want to do if possible is to connect my cameras up to this router and i think i can run a wire for this routers lan to my c3600-100nas router/modem that is connected to the internet and then use the ac1750-100nas as the camera unit and this ac1750 unit will connect to the internet thru the c3700-100nas modem. is this correct? the ac1750 according to netgear has more range and i'm hopeing by connecting to this unit i will take some pressure off the modem and get better feed from my cameras.  and fewer dropouts.

or am i just barking up the wrong tree here? it seems that when i connected my tv's and my laptops via wire to the switch you suggested me to get and the switch to the modem i got less drop outs on my cameras. so what i'm hopeing for is to take most or all of the wifi traffic of the modem and direct it to the ac1750 to just use the modom as a modem and the ac1750 being a better unit may do a better job at not dropping out on the cameras. 

does this sound correct ? thanks for any help on this.  if it will not work just by connecting a wire from the router to the modem then how will i connect them up?  bp.

Message 9 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] i jsut got a ac1750 r6400-100nas router it has 4 ports and a lan
> prot [...]

Four LAN ports and a WAN/Internet port?

> [...] what i want to do if possible is to connect my cameras up to
> this router and i think i can run a wire for this routers lan to my
> c3600-100nas router/modem that is connected to the internet and then use
> the ac1750-100nas as the camera unit and this ac1750 unit will connect
> to the internet thru the c3700-100nas modem. is this correct? [...]

You could probably make that work (most likely by configuring the
R6400 as a wireless access point), but I don't know what problem you're
trying to solve with it.  Simply connecting multiple wired devices calls
for a switch, not another router.

> [...] my cameras [...]

What are your "my cameras"?  Are they connected by wire or wirelessly
to what on your network?

> [...] my cameras are on a DVR connected by ethernet to the router.
> [...]

So, how is adding anouther router somewhere supposed to help with
anything?

Your whole situation is unclear to me.

Also, for the record, you seem to be using "gbps" when you mean Mb/s.
1Gb/s service from an ISP is very high.  60gb/s would be unlikely.

Message 10 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

for one thing i have 8 cameras 3 tv's 2 kodi boxes 2 phones 3 extenders all on the one router/modem the c3700 when i go to the the roture settings it shows 27 or more wireless things connected.

what i did was take the dvr and wire it to the modem. then i turned off the kodi boxes and them connected the tv's and the laptops to a switch  and the dvr to the switch. i still have the extenders for the cameras but if this router has the reange i can get the cameras on the router and take the pressure off the modem.  and yes i mean mbps thanks for that correction.  so what i'm looking to do is use the ac1750 for all the cameras and then wire them to the mdem and see if that helps keep the cameras from dropping out. that was the instructions from the camera forums. i see i can connect the router to the modem via the wan ports, what i'm hoping is the router will take the cameras and i can remove the extenders and that removes 2 more wifi componets. and they said the wire will handle more traffic thant the wifi becasue the modem has to split it's time and that is why i was havone dropouts.  this must have some merrit because after i turned off a bunch or wifi items the dropouts have went down a lot. but i still have still frames this is better than dropouts but if i can make it smoother then i will try.

plus if this router has the range i can keep the phone on wifi without having to switch it over all the time. i use the phone for a portible montior when out and about in the yard and back in the garage.  is this making any sence to you? thanks for the help

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

> what i did was take the dvr and wire it to the modem. [...]

Where "the modem" is actually the C3700 modem+router?

> [...] i mean mbps [...]

No, you mean "Mb/s".  "M" = mega (1000000), "m" = milli (1/1000).
but I digress.

> [...] what i'm looking to do is use the ac1750 for all the cameras and
> then wire them to the mdem [...]

>    What are your "my cameras"?  Are they connected by wire or wirelessly
> to what on your network?

Still wondering.  If the cameras are wireless, and they're some
distance from the C3700, then it might help if you put the R6400 near
them, and configured the R6400 as a wireless access point (which would
be wire-connected to the C3700).  If the cameras are wired, then a
switch should be simpler and cheaper.

> [...] i see i can connect the router to the modem via the wan ports,
> [...]

You can connect the WAN port of the R6400 to a LAN port of the C3700,
but if you do that, then you'd probably want to configure the R6400
as a WAP.  If you try to do this with more than one router (in
full-function router mode), then you can expect some
complications/problems stemming from having multiple routers with
multiple LAN subnets.

> [...] and they said the wire will handle more traffic thant the wifi
> becasue the modem has to split it's time and that is why i was havone
> dropouts.

I wouldn't bet much on that analysis.  Whether some change improves
you performance depends on where your bottleneck lies.  It might help if
you offload some of the wireless clients onto another access point, but
all the traffic to the outside world will need to pass through the
C3700, one way or another.

Message 12 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i got a r6400 router and i could get the pc on it and the phones on it but it did not like the cameras. i even turned off the wifi on the c3700 router modem and it gave me a hard time. so i turne dit off and put it back in the box i got it in and will resell it back on ebay. that c6400 just would not work. my cameras went wacko.

so can anyone tell me is there a modem router that has range and speed like this c6400 unit or even faster and more power? kind of like this one only with a built in modem.  the c6400 did work good with the phone i could walk arond the yard and not lose much for signal but trying to get the cameras on it was a nightmare, they wanted to connect to both units. 

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router (R7900) 

how do i set up for getting email notices for these threads? thanks

Message 13 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] i got a r6400 router [...]

And did _what_ with it?

> [...] and i could get the pc on it and the phones on it but it did not
> like the cameras.

Did it speak to you about this dislike, or are you interpreting some
kind of (secret?) actual behavior?

> [...] it gave me a hard time. [...]

> [...] c6400 just would not work. my cameras went wacko.

> [...] trying to get the cameras on it was a nightmare, they wanted to
> connect to both units.

None of that conveys any useful information.  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> how do i set up for getting email notices for these threads?

Find the "option menu" (vertical "..."), and click on "Subscribe"?

Message 14 of 15
corvairbob
Tutor

what did you not get!  i said i connected it and got my pc and phones to connect and the cameras connected to both the c3700 and the c6400 back and forth.  i did not get any messages or error codes. what i was telling you is the c6400 did not want to connect to the cameras and stay conected. also it did not want to become an access point so i could not forward any ports. about half of the settings were grayed out. so for some reason this type of seup did not want to work with them getting connected together.  when i tured off the wifi on the c3700 i lost everything again no messages or errors. so now i will just get a combination unit like the c3700 is both router and modem and see how that works with that unit being more speed and power. thanks

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7