Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: routerlogin does not ask for username and password

rikeo
Tutor

routerlogin does not ask for username and password

Hi.  Last week I bought the Nighthawk X6 R8000.  It's working great so far, with just one problem.  Whenever I visit routerlogin.net on my internet browser, I don't get the prompt asking for my username and password.  It did ask for it when I was initially configuring it the first few days.  But now whenever I visit routerlogin.net, it goes straight to the main page and I'm able to edit the whole configuration without having to enter a password.  It does not matter what device, or internet browser I'm using, it will take me straight in to the configuration without having to enter a password.  I have changed the login password on my router, but that doesn't solve anything.  I have even tried turning on Remote Management, and when I enter my home's IP address and router's port number from my work away from home, it does not ask for my password.  The same thing happens with Readyshare even when the permissions are set to read/write: password-admin.  Is this a bug?  Am I missing some hidden setting I don't know about?  This obviously is a security concern for me.  

Hardware VersionR8000

Firmware VersionV1.0.3.4_1.1.2

GUI Language VersionV1.0.3.4_2.1.49.1
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

Try reloading the firmware and perform a factory reset. Manually reconfigure the router instead of loading the backup file.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 23

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Clear your Browser cache

Mine is working fine using same FW.  try logging in from a different device

Message 2 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

That's what i did. Tried different devices.
Message 3 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't use ready share. Maybe it's a bug, see if disabling RS make a difference. Try a factory default, revert to earlier FW and or contact support

Message 4 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

I would suggest contacting support team to further isolate or investigate on your issue.

Message 5 of 23
mediatrek
Virtuoso

By chance does your system use any 2016 Kaspersky products? If so, that is the culprit. Disabling Kaspersky 2016 features will not work. You have to totally uninstall it and use an older Kasperksy product version (ie- 2015 line). After uninstalling the Kaspersky 2016 product, you can then access the router's web UI without an issue.

Message 6 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

No, it's been years since I've owned a Kaspersky product (that was even on an old computer I no longer have).  I have gone ahead and disabled everything Readyshare related, and nothing has changed.  If I can't figure this out, I may have to do a factory reset.

Message 7 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

Try reloading the firmware and perform a factory reset. Manually reconfigure the router instead of loading the backup file.

Message 8 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

I think I have figured out the culprit.  I unfortunately was forced to hard reset the router after I found no other solution.  After performing the hard reset, I reconfigured the settings manually.  It did start asking for my password again!    Each time after changing a setting, I logged out and logged back in to routerlogin.net to see which setting affects the bug.  Now for the cause of the problem. When I entered my ReadyCloud details, logged out of routerlogin.net, and went back in, it would no longer ask for my username and password until I hard reset the router (simply turning off ReadyCloud does not fix the problem, you have to do a full hard reset once it is enabled).

Summary: Once you turn on ReadyCloud, the router will no longer ask for a username and password upon accessing routerlogin.net exposing unauthorized router configuration access, and the only fix is to do a hard reset, erasing configurations that took me an hour to set.  I hope Netgear sees this, and decides to fix this security vulnerability ASAP.  I won't be using ReadyCloud until this is fixed.

Message 9 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

I tried enabling the ReadyCloud of my R7000 and then logged out on the UI. When I access the UI I still get a prompt asking for a username and password.

By the way, what are the browsers you have tried accessing the UI? If ReadyCloud is not configured after the reset, will it ask for a username and password?

Try downgrading the firmware or reload the same firmware then do a factory reset.

Message 10 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

I took the time today to do some experiments.  I've downgraded, and upgraded, with no luck.  I even resetted to factory defaults.  It then started to ask for the credentials every 5 minutes of inactivity in routerlogin.net (like it's supposed to).  I then proceded to set up ReadyCloud, and it would no longer ask for a username and password.  I resetted, went straight to setting up ReadyCloud, and the routerlogin authentication was gone for good until I hard reset.  I have the R8000.  Must be a bug in this specific model.  The issue affects multiple browsers (I've tried Chrome and Firefox).

Message 11 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

Please check your inbox.

Message 12 of 23
Tirabi
Aspirant

Having the same issue after reset.  It never asks for my password unless I hit certain settings pages.

On top of that my password is not accepted by some devices.

My Samsung Phone (Note4) can log in with firefox browser however the Genie app no longer logs in.  It says the password is wrong, but it's definitely not.

My Laptop the password does not work period.

My son's laptop the password does work.

I reset the router last night and that's when my troubles began.....

Message 13 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

I am contacting support directly as there is not an apparent fix at the moment.
Message 14 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi rikeo,

Are you now in contact with support team? If yes, please PM me you case number.

Message 15 of 23
skeemin
Aspirant

I too have a nighthawk x6 r8000 and am having the same issue.  I recently upgraded the firmware to the latest version available (V1.0.3.4_1.1.2 ) and noticed the problem immediately after attempting to setup ReadyShare.  I am willing to bet this has something to do with it.

I no longer am prompted by any device on my network to login with the admin password.  If I do not have to do a factory reset I'd prefer not to as there is a lot to have to document and set back up.

Any updates on this issue?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 16 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

I know it's been a while, but I did take the time today to actually email the Netgear Support, so I'll see what they have to say.

Message 17 of 23
Mrike
Aspirant

I am having the same issue on my R8000 after setting up Readycloud. This is a major bug that's needs to be fixed. I will contact net gear tomorrow for a solution.
Message 18 of 23
Mrike
Aspirant

I fixed the issue but at the cost of no Readycloud. I unregistered my Readycloud from the router and then just did a router reboot. Now it ask for authentication when logging in the router.
Readycloud seems to keep the router unlocked 24/7 so it can have "cloud" access. Not good for Netgear security.
Message 19 of 23
rikeo
Tutor

Netgear support only offered to replace the unit. Told them it wasn't worth the trouble for something wrong with the firmware.
I believe there is someone in this thread that said the authentication still works even with Readycloud enabled. But they had an R7000 instead. I don't know why only a specific model would have this issue, but it's not good.
Message 20 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mrike,

Engineers are already aware of this and they are checking on it. We will provide feedback for any updates.

Message 21 of 23
zpdd03
Initiate

Nighthawk X6 R8000     
Firmware Version V1.0.3.4_1.1.2
GUI Language Version V1.0.3.4_2.1.49.1

Windows 7

I’ve been in I.T. for most of my 30+ year career and have owned many Netgear Routers, Firewalls, VPN’s, etc.  Back in the old days they ALL where in Metal cases by the way.  Any-how, I have always been pleased with most of the routers I’ve have owned.  I even still use some as Gateways. 

But lately I have started to rethink my dedication to Netgear products. First off I will address the issue that everyone is talking about here.  When I first purchased my R8000 on 05/Oct/2014 I liked it so much I have recommended it to more than just a few people. Since I ran on to this community discussion today about not having to login to the router every time I hit my R8000 routers IP address, I am wondering if I gave some very bad advice.  I will explain why.  At first when I noticed that I didn’t have to login every time I assumed that possibly Netgear had made the R8000 smart enough to know that this IP and MAC address has hit me before so what the heck I will let it in.  Well, that’s what I get for assuming anything.  For a while now I have been having some strange things happening.  PC getting slower, Internet browsing getting slower, downloads getting slower, noticing in the router logs MAC address’s that seem to appear from nowhere logging in remotely through IP addresses on different ports.  I do not have remote login enabled and run Norton Security Deluxe.  I started running Norton Power Eraser every so often and finding Crudware kindly sitting on my PC.  So, I finally had to go the route of Corporate Security Methods.  I had to go to every wireless and wired network device, write down every device’s MAC address, define IP address reservation to MY devices MAC address, give all network devices names that are only familiar to me and Block all new devices from connecting. Change my routers, gateways and range extenders (All Netgear by the way) passwords and access passwords to something I can’t even remember and Walla, my Netgear R8000 router log is clear as a bell.  Netgear has failed me in one other way also.  I own a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 that IS NOT supported by ReadyCloud since Netgear kindly decided that they would change the OS on all their new ReadyNAS devices.  I suppose this is a tactic that forces people to Sh__can their still running solid ReadyNAS units, and buy another one if they want to utilize ReadyCloud.  Bad decision Netgear.  You should at least come out with an add-on for your loyal Netgear customers that have spent good money on your products, that are still running perfectly well, to utilize the services you provide.  If I am mistaken and there is a add-on available please steer me in the right direction.  I sure hope Netgear comes up with a fix for the admin login to the router fast.  Very big security hole I.M.H.O. and since this thread started on 1-23-2016 I’d get on it A.S.A.P.  While you’re at it, if there is not an add-on for the older NAS units, then I would re-think your decision to forget about, I would assume, a lot of folks that are a little more than just disappointed for spending their hard earned money on Netgear products to just let Netgear do R&D that was going to leave them out in the cold.  By the way, this is the first time I have ever written anything about a product I have owned.  So, it’s just my 2 cents.

Message 22 of 23
zpdd03
Initiate

Hardware VersionR8000

Firmware VersionV1.0.3.4_1.1.2

GUI Language VersionV1.0.3.4_2.1.49.1

Update on my last post:

I didn’t want to reset my router to its default configuration and start over, but being the security minded person I am I did. I only have a couple of MAC addresses allowed to connect to the R8000 right now and I only timed it once, but the router now seems to time out after I let the screen sit idle for 10 minutes and then makes you log back in.  Same Firmware.  I don’t know why a reset fixed it or how long it will continue to require you to log back in after logging off or just letting the screen sit idle, I just wanted to mention what I found out.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7