slow WIFI access to NAS via netgear n7000

skynetedb
Luminary

slow WIFI access to NAS via netgear n7000

Hello, everyone

I have the NAS N4800Eco which is connected to WIFI router Netgear N7000 with 2 cabels CAT-5E, all cabels are CAT-5e. I have upgraded the NAS N4800Eco till V2.04.01.cdv version (the latest firmware), but when I try to copy from/to NAS via WIFI router the average speed is 8,5Mb/sec. This is THE PROBLEM for me. The most interesting thing, when I plug a cabel CAT-5E to the WIFI router Neatger N700 and my laptop, and repeat to do the same actions to copy to/from NAS the speed is 63Mb/sec.
My OS is Windows 7 64 bit.
The speedtest.net shows the WIFI speed 93Mb/sec for downloading and 94Mb/sec for uploading. The type of Internet service is Cable. The firmware of WIFI router is V1.0.2.194_1.0.15.
Please, help me, I don't know why this router gives such low WIFI speed to copy files from/to NAS? How to fix it.

Probably, I configured something wrong, Could you please share with me your speeds and configurations ?

I have already downgrade the firmware of WIFI N7000 to V1.0.1.22_1.0.15 - the same picture. Copying using WIFI 8,5Mb/sec, cable - 60-63Mb/sec. I have reverted the firmware V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 back and don't know what to do, all ideas have finished.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: slow WIFI access to NAS via netgear n7000

Does the copy start out fast then dwindle down or is it slow from start to finish?
Message 2 of 15
skynetedb
Luminary

Hi, Searay

Thanks for asking!
During the first half second, the speed is 18Mb/sec and after that it changes to 8Mb/sec and stay such during the whole copying process.

But as far as I can judge based on many articles in the Internet, R7000 + NAS N4800Eco are absolute new devices with Gigabit Ethernet ports => they speed has to be about 80Mb/sec. At least, many articles claim about it. At least, when I use cabel, but WIFI, the speed more or less match that speed. But using WIFI I can't achieve this speed.

Have you had such problem?
Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Which client WIFI are you using.
Is it a AC card?
What band 2.4 or 5g?
What is wifi set to 1300,600,289,54?
What's your best read write over a wired connection? is it 63Mbps

Speed test is not the same as throughput, Throughput is limited by motherboard, hard-drive ect while a download upload speed test is dependent on wifi and client card only for example. You can have great speed test and bad throughput read /write if MB & HDD are older not sata III

LAN card settings also effect throughput, usally when it starts out fast and then slows down it's an off load setting along with others depending on NIC card manufacture.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i%2C-sata-ii-and-sata-i...
Message 4 of 15
skynetedb
Luminary

Hi, Searay

1) Which client WIFI are you using.
Is it a AC card?
//Unfortunately no, I use N card

2) What band 2.4 or 5g?
What is wifi set to 1300,600,289,54?
// The Wifi settings are the following:
for the band 2.4GHz : Up to 600Mbps
for the band 5GHz : Up to 1300Mbps

3) What's your best read write over a wired connection? is it 63Mbps
//The read/write speed to/from NAS is a little "jumping" from 63Mbps to 72Mbps over a wired connection

4) You can have great speed test and bad throughput read /write if MB & HDD are older not sata III
// Wifi router R7000 and NAS N4800Eco are enough modern devices + I use new disks: 2xWDC WD20EFRX-68E 5400RPM Data Transfer Rate: 6 Gb/s Buffer to Host max; 145 MB/s Host to/from drive typical

The most interesting thing that my friend bought the NAS WD Cloud 2 Tb + I gave him my previous WIFI router Zyxel Keenetic which is more less powerful gives 54 Mb/sec max for downloading and 34 for uploading than Netgear R7000, but he has approximately the same speed 18Mb/sec for downloading/uploading to/from his NAS WD Cloud. Funny, yes:)

That's why I can't understand what is wrong with this top level WIFI router R7000 which I bought 1 month ago and which has to show higher speeds.
Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You ran out a bought something without understanding what you bought. The AC format allows higher throughput than N does per channel, It requires a AC router and AC clients. I have 3 Intel AC7260 cards in 3 Laptops. I copy a 8gb ISO in under 4 minutes to Windows Server in basement.

set 5g to 289 and 2.4 to 217 unless you have a Intel 6300 or equivalent client that uses 3 channels
Message 6 of 15
skynetedb
Luminary

Hi, Searay

Unfortunately, all my laptops are outdated. I bought them in 2010. But they support wireless protocol 802.11n , only my working laptop Lenovo T430s has something like Intel 6300 aboard and gives me good speed on 5GHz band (The speedtest.net shows the WIFI speed 93Mb/sec for downloading and 94Mb/sec for uploading), but some settings in this laptop are disabled including changing workgroup that's why, in truth, I don't know how to test the transmission speeds from/to the NAS on it 😞

>>>You ran out a bought something without understanding what you bought.
I know, these 2 devices Wifi router and NAS I bought looking in the future:) I understand that it would be great to have laptops with ACxxxx cards aboard, but I work on it.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will try to play with settings 5g to 289 and 2.4 to 217.
Do you think changing the band 2.4GHz to 217Mbps can give acceleration for the laptops?

Best regards,
skynetedb.
Message 7 of 15
skynetedb
Luminary

Searay,
reading this article
http://www.foxnetwork.ru/index.php/en/component/content/article/121-thecus-n4800eco.html

I can't understand, how do they test the speed? using cable or Wifi to copy from/to NAS.
if Wifi then Do my laptops are so outdated that the speeds are so away from their speeds?
Or I just lose speeds on latencies in the WIFI router or ... i don't know. Sorry, just thoughts.
Message 8 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-ultimate-n-6300.html

This WiFI card will handle upto 450Mbps

Technically speaking max you may able to transfer is 56MB/sec.

What the Mbps the IBM laptop do connect at?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

skynetedb wrote:
Searay,
reading this article
http://www.foxnetwork.ru/index.php/en/component/content/article/121-thecus-n4800eco.html

I can't understand, how do they test the speed? using cable or Wifi to copy from/to NAS.
if Wifi then Do my laptops are so outdated that the speeds are so away from their speeds?
Or I just lose speeds on latencies in the WIFI router or ... i don't know. Sorry, just thoughts.

It's more complicated than most think, speed test is different than read /write and like I said earlier relies on other factors while your server is fast the N link is not, the connection rate is confusing and I'm no expert so I won't try to explain it. Look up specs on laptops my guess sata or sata 1 both consider slow with regards to your server.

I'm looking to replace my server / nas. Drobo has been suggested but I'm hesitant to purchase from a new company as far as I tell. How do you like your thecus?
Message 10 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Drobo is actually works very well. I have one and for way they have design the their RAID is better than most others. Simpler and growth of drive upgrades is nothing but just slide it to the slot.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks June, I remember your earlier suggestion to another user, I got burned twice with Yellow Machine and their raid solutions $1600 dollars later I swore I'd never buy another unknown vendors product yet alone another raid machine. I'll look again at Drobo again. I saw their $1,600 model on sale for $800 today
Message 12 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Most RAID NAS are traditional RAID that is device that can not grow in sizes.

I know Netgear and other now days do have those options but If you look at Drobo carefully you will find the investment are worth while.

I have not need to bump up the size on my hard drive but it is easy as change the drive one a time. the process may make very long time but you will not need any GUI interaction to changes drives.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 15
skynetedb
Luminary

Hello jmizoguchi,

>>>What the Mbps the IBM laptop do connect at?
If I understand your question correctly then on the band 5GHz the speed is 93Mbps for downloading and 94Mbps for uploading.

Hello searay,
Yes, I like my NAS Thecus N4800Eco, it's very quiet, it is located in my living room and I absolutely don't hear it.
The quality is good. A lot of features inside, in truth, I don't understand many of them, that's why last 5 days I google every feature to understand what it need for and how to better configure it. It won many awards for performance, speed and stability, enough low price. That's why I selected this NAS.
This is the good site to compare many NASes:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/finders/nas/products

what I do not like now, this speed is much lower than WiFi cable
Thanks for all your replies, now i understand that speedtest.net is not the same as just copy from/to NAS.
I will test the copy/read speed from/to NAS on the band 5GHz.
Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Does either NAS have share folders and does either one also allow backing up of share folders on separate drive. I visit smallnetbuilder quite often, Thanks!

My through put on 5g using Intel 6235 was 17 Mbps while using another laptop with Intel AC 7260 copying same file @ 37 Mbps, same laptop same file was 6 Mbps using 2.4 Using R6300v2 sitting 30' from router.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E