slow download speed

missileguy
Aspirant

slow download speed

I have two identical wired PC's. One downloads at full speed, the other at half speed. The half speed one will download at full speed if connected directly to the gateway, bypassing the R7000. The Qos speedtest using the slow PC shows full speed available. Using the Genie app's download test gets half speed. I have all the latest updates, have hard reset the R7000, updated the Qos database, swapped cables and ports on the R7000, Traffic Meter is off. I'm confused! Any ideas?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Re: slow download speed

@missileguy wrote:

I have two identical wired PC's. One downloads at full speed, the other at half speed. The half speed one will download at full speed if connected directly to the gateway, bypassing the R7000. The Qos speedtest using the slow PC shows full speed available. Using the Genie app's download test gets half speed. I have all the latest updates, have hard reset the R7000, updated the Qos database, swapped cables and ports on the R7000, Traffic Meter is off. I'm confused! Any ideas?

QoS off, especially if you have 300Mbps or more ISP speed.

Check the cable and/or try a different LAN port.

Not sure what you are saying here, "The Qos speedtest using the slow PC shows full speed available. Using the Genie app's download test gets half speed."? Both test done wired, right? First test you use a Browser to connect to the Router via a login which runs Genie. Do you mean the Genie desktop app?

Have you tested both PC's by opening a browser and using www.speedtest.net? Still getting 1/2 speed with that site?

Message 2 of 10
missileguy
Aspirant

Qos was turned On to run the speedtest available within that option and then turned off. The readout on that screen shows that full speed is available. Genie desktop app is only available on the slow PC and is slow.  The same browser speedtest.net is slow on the slow PC and full speed on the other. All four ports were tried with the slow PC and the fast PC. Slow stayed slow and Fast stayed fast no matter what. The only time I can get full speed on the slow PC is to bypass the R7000. All tests are wired

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 10
missileguy
Aspirant

Just to cover all bases, I removed the desktop Genie app, restarted the PC, disconnected the wired cable and ran speedtest.net wireless. Same result. It appears that the R7000 is throttling my download speed by half on the slow PC. Upload speeds are the same on both PC's.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@missileguy wrote:

Just to cover all bases, I removed the desktop Genie app, restarted the PC, disconnected the wired cable and ran speedtest.net wireless. Same result. It appears that the R7000 is throttling my download speed by half on the slow PC. Upload speeds are the same on both PC's.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Some information must be missing here? What is the 'slow' PC, make and model.

Fully detail how you tested with the Modem? Did you disconnect it from the router and then reboot the modem and then attach the PC? Did you then turn off the modem, router, and PC and then bring up in order the modem, router, and PC and wait for each to fully come up before powering up the next one, and then test?

What color or the LAN PORT LED's?

What does SHOW STATISTIC screen on the Browser Genie Advanced top tab and in the Internet Port box show for the status on the ports? Does it look like mine on the right link basically? Attach a screenshot of yours by taking one (Snipping Tool on W10/8) and using the Browse button locate it on your PC and add it. It appears immediately that way with your reply.

Message 5 of 10
missileguy
Aspirant

Both PC's are Dell Insprion 3650 running Win 10.

The LAN port LED for both PC's are white.

The show statistic screen values are identical for both PC's.

All I have to do is connect my PC to my internet gateway instead of the R7000 and I get full speed with the speedtest.net browser test. My 'hi speed' internet is only 20mps. The slow PC can only manage 5mps using the R7000 for access. The fast one gets 20mps using the same cable and LAN port.

Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@missileguy wrote:

Both PC's are Dell Insprion 3650 running Win 10.

The LAN port LED for both PC's are white.

The show statistic screen values are identical for both PC's.

All I have to do is connect my PC to my internet gateway instead of the R7000 and I get full speed with the speedtest.net browser test. My 'hi speed' internet is only 20mps. The slow PC can only manage 5mps using the R7000 for access. The fast one gets 20mps using the same cable and LAN port.

If you've traded ports and cables for both PC's and still have the problem I don't see how it could be the router?

I'd bring up Device Manager in each PC and look at the Network Adapter... assuming they are the same, open the properties. Make sure both have the same driver files. Then on the Properties I'd look at the Advanced tab, look at the properties for the card (assuming it is a card and not USB device. Speed and Duplex would be the first I'd compare, but go through them one by one.

I've got a RealTek PCIe GbE Family controller and the RealTek site did have newer drivers than MS did and worked better. A good reason to check if the drivers are the same in Properties.

From the data you've shown, I don't see how this could be a router problem though? QoS might be the only reason but you said it was off? VPN and UPnP too, but that should hit all PC's.

I am at a loss here? Possible you have a bad card but that network adapter is probably not a card but on the motherboard, like mine it? It might be worthwhile to buy a cheap 1Gb PCIe card and see if that works fine?

Message 7 of 10
missileguy
Aspirant

I have to disagree. It has to be the router. If I bypass the router I get high speed access with either computer I connect to the gateway. Only when I connect with the router do I have this problem. I have checked all the things on your list before I tried this forum. Its weird, being a long retired field engineer/ electronic tech I know some strange things can occur until I finally find the real cause.

Message 8 of 10
missileguy
Aspirant

One important thing I failed to mention. the slow PC used to be fast. Just in the last week or so has it become slow.

Message 9 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@missileguy wrote:

I have to disagree. It has to be the router. If I bypass the router I get high speed access with either computer I connect to the gateway. Only when I connect with the router do I have this problem. I have checked all the things on your list before I tried this forum. Its weird, being a long retired field engineer/ electronic tech I know some strange things can occur until I finally find the real cause.

Really weird, I forgot it works fine when connected to the modem?

Switching cables would rule out the cable unless you used the same 'slow' cable when going to the modem. Changing port for the slow PC to that of the fast PC would also rule out the PC and cable.

That model does have wireless Internet onboard. I have a Dell 8500 like that. Can be used wired or wireless. I am running it wireless, but I wonder if that Dell somehow switched to wireless on you? If you had used it wireless at one time it might have saved the credential and connected at one point and you never realized it, or even an update caused that? Going to the modem you might have turned off the router and no wireless signal so the cable worked. Turn the router back on and it went back to wireless? That is about the only reasonable explanation I can think of?

Still, even if the above did happen, that is an AC wireless and you should see full speed?

Access Control should show how it was connected as well?

I'm at a loss... no QoS on, no Traffic Meter? reseting router doesn't cure it? I don't think any ports or cables are damaged? To me. everything points back to the PC but it works fine when direct connect to the modem? Some PC/OS interaction with the router, but I'm out of guesses? Sorry. One last thing, does it work OK if you run Safe Mode with Networking?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E