Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

solution for R7000 cutting out

bcase
Tutor

solution for R7000 cutting out

I bought a r7000 AC1900 Smart Wifi router (with had the 1.0.11.116 firmware) without realizing all the problems people been having with the router cutting out.  I had the same problem.  So, I followed the suggestions of other users and switched to 1.09.42 firmware and have not had a problem since.  I will not update to a new firmware until I have heard that the new update actually works.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: solution for R7000 cutting out

Problem with that plan is the people who the update works well for, don't post on the forums. 

So you mainly only hear people on here complaining about issues. 

Theres plenty of users that haven't had issues (or the R7000 wouldn't have such high rankings on amazon/etc). 

The V1.0.11.126 has seemed pretty stable. 

Best way to get good results with the R7000 is to install the firmware over a hardwired connection, then do a factory reset, and to reinstall without using a backup. 

Tends to work the best. 

If you didn't try it, I'd try the newer version and see how it works. 

If it doesn't, its pretty easy to revert back.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by "cutting out"? Wireless not working? Wired not working? Both? 

A bit more information would be good here. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@bcase wrote:

I bought a r7000 AC1900 Smart Wifi router (with had the 1.0.11.116 firmware) without realizing all the problems people been having with the router cutting out.  I had the same problem.  So, I followed the suggestions of other users and switched to 1.09.42 firmware and have not had a problem since.  I will not update to a new firmware until I have heard that the new update actually works.

Message 3 of 7
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@bcase  I'd just like to point out, no one here knows your environmental situation, i.e. router placement, how many devices you're attempting to connect, whether the router TX power is set to 100 percent, the thickness of your walls, your ISP, modem etc. Quite possibly, there's a small raft of reasons why your router is 'cutting out'.

The latest firmware from my  own experience, there's nothing wrong with it. It works perfectly well and it's rock solid stable for me. I'm on my sixth firmware upate from purchase, no issues, no dropped WiFi, no cutting out.

Be aware, as I'm sure you are, but all you've done by reverting to firmware v.42, is shove an ageing firmware onto your router that is quite possibly security compromised. Obviously as the router owner, if you're prepared to take that risk, then that's your call.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 7
bcase
Tutor

All I know is that after trying everything, this worked.  My post is directed for those who are having the same problem and want a simple solution.

Message 5 of 7
GregGreg
Star

@bcase 

I will also share my observations.
I have had a Netgear R7000 router since 2014. My router was made in Vietnam.
I had the biggest problems after switching to firmware version V1.0.9.60. On this version, my router every now and then I lost my WiFi network (every few days or several times a day). Only restarting helped. I thinked it was a hardware problem (router was several years old). After installing firmware version V1.0.9.42 the problems stopped. The router had one problem with version V1.0.9.42: if I changed some settings via GUI, I had to restart it because the WiFi network slowed down a lot.
Over a week ago I installed the latest firmware version (V1.0.11.126). Before and after the upgrade, I restarted to factory settings. Then I configured everything manually (not from backup). Currentl router working stably.
I have access to the Internet through public IP.

I've also set up some other settings that should help make things more stable (In my feeling):
Set DNS to Cloudflare DNS:
WiFi 2.4 - I manually set the channel
WiFi 5.0 - I manually set the channel (set from non DFS channels: 36,40,44,48)
Set WPA2-PSK [AES] for both WiFi
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
QoS - Disabel
WMM - Enable
Guest Network: Disabled
Set TimeZone and NTP servers
Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz
Long Preambule
Fragmentation Length: 2346 (change to 2304)
CTS/RTS Threshold: 2347 (change to 2304)
Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS

It is possible that this informations will help someone with similar problems.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 7
bcase
Tutor

Thanks for sharing.  I will print it out and try it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7