syslog, snmp, flow log

akno
Star

syslog, snmp, flow log

When is Netgear going to include support for real-time reporting of DHCP, firewall, VPN, port state, usage, etc. through syslog, snmp, and flow logs? I realize that most installations will not have the need for these features, but those of us that do understand how to create a robust network want to have these abilities. The alternative is to use a commercial-grade device, which I wouldn't be purchasing from Netgear. Step up to the bar. The Internet isn't a play place any more.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: syslog, snmp, flow log

Never. NG usually does not add big, niche features for the few

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 7
akno
Star

Your honesty is refreshing, although disheartening. I wonder what percentage of owners use the VPN feature of their internet-facing wifi router? They seem to have put a lot of development into that feature, but not a lot of marketing.

Message 3 of 7
microchip8
Master

Logging and network analysis is much more niche than VPN, which is supported by most if not all consumer-grade routers and can be considered mainstream. The problem with NG is that they not only don't listen, but also have one of the worst firmware out there. You can say they almost constantly introduce bugs instead of fixes/features. If they add something new, it's poorly tested and needs a few firmware iterations to be somewhat reliable. They also like to remove advertised features if they can sell you something, like the new Armor (which is free at the competition (ASUS)) 

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 7
labatt
Mentor

@microchip8 wrote:

new Armor (which is free at the competition (ASUS)) 

Count TP-Link as another with support free. Both Asus and TP-Link use Trendmicro which has been well tested. 

Shame that even a company, TP-Link, known for inexpensive routers can afford to add the feature free of charge. Netgear just wants to milk you for every penny, or whatever your lowest currency is. Besides, as stated above, they removed features in the firmware that folks bought the router for so they could add Armor. Way to win customers, NOT. So if you want to stay current security wise you have only one option. Get rid of that feature you bought the router for. Would have been nice if they had put out a firmware update that still had the old stuff, but with security fixes included as well as the Armor one if they insist on having Armor. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 5 of 7
microchip8
Master

True, also if you want more logging/analisys, you should look at some of the semi-professional devices by Mikrotik and Ubiquiti

Message 6 of 7
labatt
Mentor

Yup. With my Ubiquiti network I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask about Network traffic and what each device is using, by say Netflix. Has been solid since installation, even running their beta track. Netgear cannot even provide good firmware as a released product. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E