Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

two routers

woodies
Tutor

two routers

Can I use 2 different routers together with my isp modem, so I can have vpn on one and the other just to have my cameras on which have complex setup i don't want to change the settings for?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 9
microchip8
Master

Re: two routers

Set your second router in Access Point mode. 2 routers on the same network create a double NAT issue which is to be avoided. If you set it to AP mode, it'll basically act as a (wireless) switch

Message 2 of 9
woodies
Tutor

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure exactly what that is or entails, Could you please explain why and how that works

I thought all i might have to do is just plug both routers into the modem and the cameras would run off the older existing router while all other devices worked under the vpn'd router?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 9

Which Netgear devices are we talking about here. It sure ain't the A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in the footer.

@woodies wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure exactly what that is or entails, Could you please explain why and how that works

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

@woodies wrote:

I thought all i might have to do is just plug both routers into the modem and the cameras would run off the older existing router while all other devices worked under the vpn'd router?

Unlikely, for the reasons already mentioned.

Please try to avoid scattering the same question in several places. It just confuses everyone.

do i need 2 routers for vpn with cams - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 9
woodies
Tutor

what do you mean by scattering the same question in many places? who am i confusing?

and yes i am talking about the netgear nighthawk r7000

Well i will ask then, HOW with one router can i keep my cameras setttings while having expressvpn on that router. I have been told that my camera settings would change.. and the fact that netgearhead could not for 2 years of trying get the cameras working globally from many hours of trying in that time...  I'm wondering if it can be answered how i can have the vpn on one router without it changing the settings on the ONE router...  expressvpn and others have suggested 2 routers is the safest way to keep the camera settings from changing... 

how is it possible with one router to do this?

Message 5 of 9

@woodies wrote:

what do you mean by scattering the same question in many places? who am i confusing?

Is that a serious question?

@woodies wrote:

Well i will ask then, HOW with one router can i keep my cameras setttings while having expressvpn on that router.

So far, you have answered none of the questions that would help people to answer that question.

What are these cameras and their settings?

@woodies wrote:

and yes i am talking about the netgear nighthawk r7000

Have you investigated the use of expressvpn on an R7000?

Message 6 of 9
woodies
Tutor

Are you kidding me? You are asking me if its a serious question? what kind of service are you providing? you call yourself a guru and you can't answer simple questions but just throw around false claims that you cannot even back up. I'll ask again and see if you can be professional and ANSWER the simple questions what do you mean by scattering the same question in many places? who am i confusing? you claim it back it up where have i asked the same question.. try answer without veering with a pathetic insult. then you claim i havnt answered a question to help you.. who is the so called expert here? you don't seem to understand the simplest of questions. then you say i must be kidding about my router model... why would i be kidding about my router model? what is wrong with you... have i INVESTIGATED the use of my laughable in your opinion router (a netgear router btw) .. have i investigated its use on expressvpn.. ? do you even work for netgear you sound like a fool. who said i was going to use my netgear router with expressvpn.. i was going to buy a new one.... but it certainly won't be with netgear now thanks you your crap service and usless help. you might want to stick to something you know somethign about.. when a vpn service knows more about your products than you.. that is very sad but I'm sure you will not answer your accusations of your claim of me scattering the same question 'everywhere' what ever that means and where ever 'everywhere is'.. i reread this whole chat and I'm not the one that needs help. disgraceful ..no wonder everyone ive talked to about this has said don't use netgear
Message 7 of 9

@woodies wrote:
Are you kidding me? You are asking me if its a serious question? what kind of service are you providing?

I don't claim to provide any "service". Like 90 per cent of the people who provide answers here, I am just another user of Netgear equipment, albeit one with some years of experience following hundreds of conversations here.

So wading through duplicated messages because someone cannot be bothered to get their act together is a nuisance.

@woodies wrote:
you call yourself a guru

I will let you into a secret, don't tell anybody, but that label has nothing to do with me. Did you decide to tag yourself "Aspirant"? 

It is down to what is called an "algorithm". It looks at the messages that appear here, how people responds to them and other things, and assigns labels as it sees fit.

You might find this useful:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – ExpressVPN

I am a bit worried about your eyesight. Take this bit.

@woodies wrote:
do you even work for netgear

Er, read the messages I post. Look at the bottom.

Message 8 of 9
woodies
Tutor

seriously dude you need a check up from the neckup

You have some deep issues and paranoid about something.. I am not who ever you think i am.

So are you saying you have a past time of wading through peoples messages because you like nuisance value...

what the hell has your weird obsession got to do with me... like i said if you have an accusation and want to back it up knock yourself out...but waffling on about your strange little hobby has nothing to do with me..   

so they gave you the name guru just because you stalk lots of people being all creepy and you get go with it.... good for you nufty

now go get creepy with someone who gives one

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7