Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

usb external drives on a R7500

TomWoz
Aspirant

usb external drives on a R7500

can you access two usb external drives simultaneously on a R7500?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TomWoz
Aspirant

Re: usb external drives on a R7500

The router firmware version is V1.0.0.94 and my Windows version is Win7 Professional. The way I would map the first usb drive is as follows: Windows Start button > Computer > Map network drive (from Tool bar) > Drive: Z > Folder: \\192.168.1.1\USB_Storage > Finish.
I followed simular steps to map the second usb drive but my mistake was to guess the //server/share name, which was always incorrect.

I finally got it to map the second usb drive with the following steps:

Windows Start button > Computer > Map network drive (from Tool bar) > Drive: x > Folder: \\192.168.1.1 > Browse... [which then showed my share name choices as \USB_Storage or \USB_Storage(T)]. When I selected \USB_Storage(T) > Finish I was successfully able to map my second usb drive and access it simultaneously with the first.

If I clicked on Browse... with the //server/share name blank, it did not show any choices. It was not until I typed the //server name of //192.168.1.1 and then clicked on Browse... that I was able to see the distinction of the two /share names.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

I have R7000 and this works for me, no problems.

Pretty sure it will work on yours too.

Message 2 of 8
TomWoz
Aspirant

I can map the first usb drive fine, but when I power up the second drive and try to map it to a different drive letter it connects to the first usb drive. I can tell this because all of the files and folders are the same.

I can successfully map the second drive and access the files, if I disconnect the first usb drive and power it down. But I cannot sseem to access both drives simultaneously.

Can you suggest what I am doing wrong and how I might get this done?

Tom

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TomWoz How are you accessing the USB drive?

I have connected 2 external USB drives and I was able to access both drives no problem even after taking out one USB from the other port.

What's the firmware installed on the router?

Have you tried factory reset?

Message 4 of 8
TomWoz
Aspirant

The router firmware version is V1.0.0.94 and my Windows version is Win7 Professional. The way I would map the first usb drive is as follows: Windows Start button > Computer > Map network drive (from Tool bar) > Drive: Z > Folder: \\192.168.1.1\USB_Storage > Finish.
I followed simular steps to map the second usb drive but my mistake was to guess the //server/share name, which was always incorrect.

I finally got it to map the second usb drive with the following steps:

Windows Start button > Computer > Map network drive (from Tool bar) > Drive: x > Folder: \\192.168.1.1 > Browse... [which then showed my share name choices as \USB_Storage or \USB_Storage(T)]. When I selected \USB_Storage(T) > Finish I was successfully able to map my second usb drive and access it simultaneously with the first.

If I clicked on Browse... with the //server/share name blank, it did not show any choices. It was not until I typed the //server name of //192.168.1.1 and then clicked on Browse... that I was able to see the distinction of the two /share names.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So does it mean that you're able to access it simultaneously?

Message 6 of 8
TomWoz
Aspirant

Yes, this solved my problem and I am now able to access both usb drives simultaneously

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for confirming!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements