weak or lost signal in access point mode (R7000)

maxpower2178
Aspirant

weak or lost signal in access point mode (R7000)

I have recently updated to the newest firmware (V1.0.9.34_10.2.36) and went through a bunch of issues related to wifi connection speed and missing 5G network and while I can now access the network (most of the time) I think there is another issue that is related.

I am using my R7000 as a access point with it connected behind a router provided by my ISP.  The configuration is to use an ethernet cable to go out from one of the ports on the ISP router into a network port on the R7000.   

This worked just find before upgrading the firmware.  Now the link between the 2 switches are very sporadic.  I have a local cloud device that is also connected to the ISP router so it is easy to backup stuff from my phone anywhere but accessing it when connected to the R7000 is hit or miss and the speed is horrible when it does work.

Am I doing the access point confirguration correctly?  As I said, it worked before.

Also, tested with netflix last night, I have a device that is close to both routers, connecting to the R7000 would take forever to start via buffer and buffer every minute or so.  Connecting directly to the ISP router, everything is essentially instant.  I would just use the ISP router but my need to to spread the signal to the whole house and things on the other side of the house do not get a good signal to the ISP router, hence the AP and in fact I have another netgear extender that extends the R7000, all of which worked great until this upgrade.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
maxpower2178
Aspirant

Re: weak or lost signal in access point mode (R7000)

So in reading how to setup a router as a AP, it states to either put the cable into the WAN or a LAN port but the picture indicates the WAN.  Is there a benefit for one over the other?   Just grasping for straws at this point.  Really don't want to have to buy another router at this point but getting close.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements