which routers still support Time Machine through USB drives?

longhairdave
Aspirant

which routers still support Time Machine through USB drives?

I need to build a new home network with 10/100/1000 ethernet in the main room and WiFi throughout the house, which will need some extending/mesh to provide full coverage.  It also needs to host a USB hub with many hard drives connected, some of which are Time Machine backups.  

It looks like some router models have lost their Time Machine support in current firmware.  Does that mean that all the other NetGear models are going that direction too?

p.s. Please don't tell me that I should use a NAS instead - I need to eject individual drives to go on trips.  (and it will cost a fortune to replace all 100+TB of space)

Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: which routers still support Time Machine through USB drives?

@longhairdave, answered this over on the TP-Link forums Smiley Happy.

Stay away from Netgear. Yes, they pulled Time Machine and other features that were on the routers basically 'screwing' prior customers. Did it on at least 4 models at this point in time, and it seems as new firmware rolls out more routers suffer that fate.

The features were removed to add Armour to the firmware, which would be a new revenue stream for Netgear.

Netgear by the way did NOT do well in the 2019 survey by J. D. Powers on Wifi Routers (Google this if interested). At the bottom of the satifaction list.

By the way, I would not expect an answer from a NG Employee on your question, they either don't know themselves, or would not divulge the information if they do.

I guess you could try calling Pre-Sales on the phone, but I for one wouldn't trust any answer other then 'yes, it will be removed in the future'.

Message 2 of 4
longhairdave
Aspirant

Thanks for your input.  I've been bouncing around the web for past day and came to same conclusion to avoid NetGear for Time Machine.

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@longhairdave wrote:

Thanks for your input.  I've been bouncing around the web for past day and came to same conclusion to avoid NetGear for Time Machine.

Actually forget NG for other reasons...

• Firmware Updates that break more than they fix.
  • Firmware Updates the delete functions end-users might be using and/or bought the router because of.
  • Poor end-user support.
  • Relying on end-users in the forums for Support.
  • Short period free NG Support compared to other vendor's.
  • Low(est) Satisfaction score on J. D. Powers 2019 Wifi Survey.
  • Too many common problems in Firmware in all routers that never seem to be fixed as they are not showstoppers.
  • Firmware Updates that BRICK routers and NG will not  do Free Support to make them work again or replace them.
  • At some point in time you might be forced due to removal of something you need/use in the Firmware to not update the Firmware again. This will cause you over time to either suffer some Security problem or PURCHASE a replacement router that DOES what you want and can be kept current security wise.

I was FORCED to jump ship after over 15 years of beind a LOYAL NG customer due to the 'infinite wisdom' of someone in Netgear 'selling' the idea of removing featurs to include Armour Security so they could get another revenue stream from the h/w every year... 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E