Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: wifi ap mode dhcp still on?

select ap mode or other mode and follow the pictures
Message 2 of 14
GrabMyWrist
Aspirant

Using the advanced config screen, take the device out of AP mode and run through the regular configuration process. While doing so, disable DHCP, making sure to apply your settings.

Once you switch it back to AP mode, DHCP will be disabled.

Message 3 of 14
qwert
Aspirant

you don't really need to disable DHCP manually. Once you enable the AP mode from the GUI, the R8000's DHCP server is disabled automatically.

I use the AP mode as well. The R8000's LAN IP was 192.168.1.1 before it's changed to the AP mode. Now with the AP mode, my laptop connected to the R8000 got its IP address (10.x.x.x) from the real router that the R8000 connected to. The R8000's IP address shown on the GUI/ADVANCED tab is also 10.x.x.x.
Message 4 of 14
lschun
Novice

qwert wrote:
you don't really need to disable DHCP manually. Once you enable the AP mode from the GUI, the R8000's DHCP server is disabled automatically.

I use the AP mode as well. The R8000's LAN IP was 192.168.1.1 before it's changed to the AP mode. Now with the AP mode, my laptop connected to the R8000 got its IP address (10.x.x.x) from the real router that the R8000 connected to. The R8000's IP address shown on the GUI/ADVANCED tab is also 10.x.x.x.

Let me show you something
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l1ll6snqa0wqeb/DHCP_ON_AP.jpg
Message 5 of 14
qwert
Aspirant

lschun wrote:
Let me show you something
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l1ll6snqa0wqeb/DHCP_ON_AP.jpg

Right, I saw that. But my laptop still got its IP address from the upstream router. It seems to be a display error.
Message 6 of 14
lschun
Novice

my PS4 dont know why got the dhcp from r8000 ap mode with cable connected,
after that i have to manual setup ip for my ps4 to resolve it
Message 7 of 14
lschun
Novice

I 've just got the latest firmware from one of the technical support,
will further test see how it's go:D

R8000-V1.0.0.102_1.0.45.chk
Message 8 of 14
RottenMutt
Aspirant

i'm running ClearOS firewall and can see my computers obtaining leases that are connected to the R8000 in AP mode. perhaps the ps has it's ip set manually.

try clearing your router and reconfigure it. the web ui can create error, when i enabled smart connect i accidentally had a "t" character in the second 5Ghz-2 SSID field and it really screwed it up! so i know the ui is not perfect and needs more field checks.
Message 9 of 14
lschun
Novice

I 've tested the R8000-V1.0.0.102_1.0.45.chk for about 24hours,
no internet drop and seems stable overall.

now when smartconnect enable, all devices working normally even with the mini 1 mapped to second 5Gband,

however don't know why the new imac mapped to second 5Gband, but i can't manually change it back to first 5Gband,

also I found the overall speed test slower with smartconnect enable for all devices including note3, mini1, mini R and imac, if smartconnect disable and all mapped to first 5Gband speed will get back to normal.

I did not test the DHCP, due toI turn it off before go to AP mode and no issue with all device IPs arrangement including wifi and cable connection.
Message 10 of 14
RottenMutt
Aspirant

lschun wrote:
now when smartconnect enable, all devices working normally even with the mini 1 mapped to second 5Gband,

sounds like you typed in an ssid into the second 5Ghz channel before enabling smart connect. disable smart connect, clear the second 5ghz ssid and then renable. the ssid will be auto filled and is the same as the first 5Ghz channel.
Message 11 of 14
lschun
Novice

RottenMutt wrote:
sounds like you typed in an ssid into the second 5Ghz channel before enabling smart connect. disable smart connect, clear the second 5ghz ssid and then renable. the ssid will be auto filled and is the same as the first 5Ghz channel.

no, i did't type anything into the second 5G ssid, no matter what your type once you enable smartconnect it will copy from the first 5G ssid,

I just trying to say the wifi speed will decrease if you enable smartconnect
Message 12 of 14
qwert
Aspirant

lschun wrote:

also I found the overall speed test slower with smartconnect enable for all devices including note3, mini1, mini R and imac, if smartconnect disable and all mapped to first 5Gband speed will get back to normal.

What do you mean by "overall speed"? How exactly was the test performed?

My understanding is that Smart Connect helps the situation when there are multiple devices having traffic at the same time. Especially when you have a high speed device (like an 11ac device at a short range) and a low speed device (like iPad mini) having traffic concurrently. By separating the high speed device and the low speed device into different band, Smart Connect gives you better aggregated througput than the case when the two devices are connected to the same band.
Message 13 of 14
RottenMutt
Aspirant

lschun wrote:
no, i did't type anything into the second 5G ssid, no matter what your type once you enable smartconnect it will copy from the first 5G ssid, ...

not on my r8k, it greyed out what i typed and then i had two 5ghz radios and lots of disconnects.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E