Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

win 10 pro asking for readyshare password r9000

pspec
Guide

win 10 pro asking for readyshare password r9000

hi all

I have the R9000 setup with 2 USB HD. I have only setup admin password and have no password set on the readyshare drives.

i have no problem accessing the HDs from 4 TVs, a handful of tablets, loads of mobile phones and 4 Laptops.

It's a different story with the new desktop which is running win 10 pro. when trying to access the dives it asks for a user name and password. readyshare is set to no password.

Oh one strange thing, if you go into This PC there's a readyshareDLNA. if i use that it shows me all media on the drives but no software without asking for password. But still no software.

any idea what going on

Thanks

Message 1 of 17

Re: win 10 pro asking for readyshare password r9000

@pspec wrote:

It's a different story with the new desktop which is running win 10 pro. when trying to access the dives it asks for a user name and password. readyshare is set to no password.

Are these USB drives? ReadySHARE is also a part of Netgear's NAS technology. And Windows treats NAS differently.

How are you accessing ReadySHARE from the PC?

WifI? Wired?

i have no problem accessing the HDs from 4 TVs, a handful of tablets, loads of mobile phones and 4 Laptops.

That says to me that it is a Windows issue.

Does Windows ask for a password just for ReadySHARE? Nothing else?

Windows can be authoritarian when it comes to security. Have you tried running the Network Wizard in Windows?

Message 2 of 17
pspec
Guide

hi

yep 2 usb HDs

wired

i have a windows admin login password (tried using it but didn't work. Also tried router login password)

It was originally setup with network wiz. but i did go in and opened up all share options..

I say new it's a good few months old now. when i first installed win 10 pro it worked fine after i setup network share.

Then it stopped, so went into windows and enabled SMBv1 (which i hear causes problems for Netgear routers) settings and all was good again.

now it's stopped 😞

i try to access the 2 drives by

This PC icon and in then click on network/Readyshare on the left side and it asks for the password.

The second way

This PC then under the PC hard drives there's network location and ReadyDLNA:R9000. when i click that one I'm not asked for the password and can see video and photos read only. I can also see all folders that contain software but on opening them they appear to be empty which they aren't.

Very Frustrating

Thanks

Message 3 of 17

What happens when you aim Windows Explorer at:

\\readyshare

Message 4 of 17
pspec
Guide

Same thing unfortunately..
I get the pop-up asking for password..
Message 5 of 17

The message you see is from Windows.

Not much that Netgear can do for it.

This is not a message that I see for Readyshare. It does pop up when I try to access NAS devices that have their own security. In those cases it is asking for the details set on the NAS.

What does it look like when you aim the browser graphical user interface (GUI) at the ReadySHARE settings?

I see this:

michaelkenward_0-1669921969702.png

Message 6 of 17
pspec
Guide

here we go .

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 17

Not a ReadySHARE setting then.

You said earlier:

if i use that it shows me all media on the drives but no software without asking for password.

What does that mean. You can't see exe files?

Then this:

Then it stopped, so went into windows and enabled SMBv1 (which i hear causes problems for Netgear routers) settings and all was good again.

What stopped? Media access or exe visibility?

What happens if you undo that move?

Why did you enable SMBv1? Which problem were you trying to fix?

That is a Windows access thing. It is related to what Windows Explorer shows.

Message 8 of 17
pspec
Guide

if i use the ReadyDLNA icon in network locations it allows me to see and play any video and photo. but won't write or show me any other file type.. As you can see below it also show USB Storage offline.

This PC.PNGBut then it's only for media so that's all it should do. you would think as that has some kind of access it wouldn't ask of password when i click on the below network/readyshare...

Network.PNG

when i first installed win 10Pro i had no network access to Readyshare and with a bit of googling i found a lot of people saying to make sure SMBv1 was turned on on both PC and router.

Router

router.PNG

Windows

SMB.PNG

Yep I've tried undoing the SMB fix.

still the same asking for password.

it does look like a windows security pop-up 

doesn't make sense      AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa  it's doing my head in...

Thank

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your PC have a PW for it's log in? 

I just got a R9000 in that someone sent me and I loaded it up yesterday with current version of FW. 

I had a 500Gb SATA laptop drive sitting around and formatted it for FAT32 and connected it to a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter. Powered off the router, connected the drive. Powered ON the router. Checked the Routers web page under RS and it appeared there. No PW. I used the network path seen on this page and copied it into a Windows Explorer window and it immediately connected with out asking for a log in or PW. My PC doesn't have log in PW set. (All adults in this home.) I also have SMB 1.0 enabled for use with my older NAS devices I have. Windows 10x64 Pro PC.

USBReadyShareWorking500GbFAT32Drive.png

USBReadyShareWorking500GbFAT32Drive2.png

Message 10 of 17
pspec
Guide

hi

yep PC has Login and i tried using it as well with no luck..

😞

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you set a PW on the RS configuration? I didn't. You may need to set a PW on your RS configuration since you have a PW set on your PC. Can try using same PW I guess...

Message 12 of 17
pspec
Guide

Hi

tried setting PW as the same on both. still no good..

think I'm going to reformat and install windows again (you never Know )

are you using the same user name on both PC and router

Thanks

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

My Windows PC doesn't have a log in password and does not share the same log in as the router.

Use admin and a password for the routers web page. 

Message 14 of 17

@pspec wrote:

Hi

tried setting PW as the same on both. still no good..

think I'm going to reformat and install windows again (you never Know )

are you using the same user name on both PC and router

It is unlikely that Windows is the root cause.

Windows usually gives the router its network name. That's the name that you see when you go to the Network bit of the Notification area. It is also what you will see in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre.

It also shows in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.

In ReadySHARE it shows in the Network location.

That doesn't depend on the password for the router. Indeed, if you have a lot of network connections, they will each have their own password.

In my case, as long as I am on the network \\READYSHARE does not ask for a password, regardless of the device I connect from.

Message 15 of 17
pspec
Guide

It's all very strange.

I did try making a second account with the same name as router and no PW before the fresh install. but It didn't work.

I've now done a full install of windows pro but this time i used the same account name as the router and set no password.

and I'm in.

It's still asking for user name and password but it's now excepting the routers main user and PW were it didn't be for. Still don't have a password set on readyshare so doesn't make sense.  .

still annoying having to enter user name and PW each time i reboot PC but hey I'm in.

Thanks all for taking the time

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7