Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wired PC can't connect to wireless printer

seankc
Aspirant

wired PC can't connect to wireless printer

My nighthawk router bit the dust so I replaced it with another nighthawk that I have used in the past. I changed the name and password of the wireless network to match the router that failed. I connected to my printer with a computer that is connected via wifi without a problem. However, my PC that is wired can only connect to the printer if I connect to the wireless. Prior to replacing the router, my wired computer could connect to the printer without signing on to wifi. I have tried:

1. removing the printer from wired computer and reinstalling the software and drivers (I was able to reconnect only when connected to the wifi)

2. restarting the router, the computer and the printer

3 reviewed various network adapter settings

When I connect to the wireless, I see a 2nd network for the wireless. Another network for the wired PC. Any ideas? This should be easy, ugh!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: wired PC can't connect to wireless printer

@seankc wrote:

Yes, it's an R7000, sorry about that. The My Printer canon tool is used when connected via usb. I use the wired connection for this PC. I can't connect to to routerlogin.com on the wired PC. I can connect on the wireless PC. The wired PC doesn't show as a connected device. 

You answer is now more confusing? Something is clearly wrong. The tool should not be used unless you can't connect?

Normally the router sends out the SSID and the Printer sees it and connects to it. It then gets an IP Address that other LAN devices can see and use by loading the printer driver and making that the default printer. If you can't see the printer, then the tool is use, the MY PRINTER tool.

Link to it:

https://canonusa.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?idx=M6BSBQ&mcxModel=&mcxPCategory=&mcx...

(Optional)This application facilitates basic maintenance and trouble-shooting for your product.

The MX470 is OLD and need to use the current model, MX472.

This part confuses me but might be a CLUE, "I can't connect to to routerlogin.com on the wired PC. I can connect on the wireless PC. The wired PC doesn't show as a connected device. "?

How MANY PC's are we talking about in that sentence, 1 or 2? If two, then the problem could be WHAT is ahead of the ROUTER? A modem or modem/router? Make and model please.

The hint is ROUTERLOGIN.COM. If you are using the router's DNS that gets the ISP's one, that URL is resolved to the router.

So as I see it, you have a configuration problem. One that doesn't make sense at all either. IF, and that is a big IF, you plugged the wired PC directly into one of the four ports of the R7000, then ROUTERLOGIN.NET will work as long as the router is configured to get the ISP's DNS. So that leads me to three possible conclusions:

• You have a BAD Ethernet cable.
  • There is a bad port on the PC.
  • There is a bad port on the router (easy to test by using a different port).

Assuming you can verify none of those are the case (basically because you said it worked before but things can break), then the problem would be 'where are you connecting the cable to?

I still don't understand the original comment in the 1st post, "When I connect to the wireless, I see a 2nd network for the wireless. Another network for the wired PC." How are you seeing 2 networks? Do you mean SSID's?

I am sort of thinking you DO have a MODEM/ROUTER and the WIRELESS is connecting to the MODEM. That would make sense to me in that you have TWO different LAN's, one from the MODEM/ROUTER and another from the Router which would be the ONLY place you could connect the WIRED PC to.

Can you LIST all SSID's the WIRELESS devices see?

If you are on Windows, please use the WINDOWS KEY+R and enter CMD and press enter. Then enter IPCONFIG /ALL on both the PC that can be both wired and wireless for each type of connection. It should look like this:

---------------------------

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Irv8700
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45:87e8%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:22:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:22:46 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 49852758
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-BD-43-A5-8C-AA
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::835:5b00:35a2:407c%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:32:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:32:47 PM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 587775299

===========================

In the above, I had both types of connections enabled at the same time to show you what each should look like. I suggest you don't do that but enable each one individually and then cut and paste the data for each into a reply.

That will possibly clear all this up.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

This could be very simple or more complex, but need some more info.

First, the router model? It isn't an A7000, that is a network USB adapter. Is it an R7000?

What 'bit the dust' and what did you replace it with? Was this router used with those PC's and printer as well before?

Not completely clear but ambiguous to me, " I connected to my printer with a computer that is connected via wifi without a problem."? Is the printer connected physically to the PC or to it using wifi?

What is the printer make and model?

"When I connect to the wireless, I see a 2nd network for the wireless", so, with a dual band router this is normal, but you didn't specify if they were 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz SSID's that your unnamed router transmits either?

More confusion on this only adds to the mystery, "Another network for the wired PC."? What do you mean? Another network name on the computer or SSID which make no sense with a wired PC unless that PC has both wired and wireless capability?

This leads me to question HOW the printer is connected? My HP for instance connects to the router wirelessly, does yours or are you using USB READYSHARE PRINTER?

The part above about 'another network' could be related to the above. You PC's are on a 'workgroup' and all names must match. Windows uses 'workgroup' usually unless changed. On the USB READYSHARE STORAGE page there is a place to enter the name if it isn't the default name.  You also need to run some NG s/w as well.

Message 2 of 15
seankc
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion, it's an AC1900 Nighthawk wireless router. I replaced the old router with the same model. Here's how each component of the network is connected:

PC1 - uses wired connection (but can also connect via wifi). Can't connect to printer over the network when using wired connection.However, it can connect if I use wifi.

PC2 - uses wifi and connects to printer over wifi

Printer - Canon MX470 connected to network via wifi

Network - using 2.4Ghz, using workgroup

Message 3 of 15
antinode
Guru

> Sorry for the confusion, it's an AC1900 Nighthawk wireless router.
> [...]

"AC1900" is a speed, not a model.  Look at the product label.
Firmware version?  What are the IP addresses of your computers and
printer?  An "Attached Devices" report from the (mystery) router shows
all of them?

Possibly interesting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1728948

> [...] using workgroup

I don't know what that means.

Message 4 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@seankc wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, it's an AC1900 Nighthawk wireless router. I replaced the old router with the same model. Here's how each component of the network is connected:

PC1 - uses wired connection (but can also connect via wifi). Can't connect to printer over the network when using wired connection.However, it can connect if I use wifi.

That is not the model but the speed (1900). Suspect an R7000, but the model will be on the label on the bottom.

One of my PC's can do wired and wireless connection. HP is connected to the router using wireless, and I have no problems printing on that PC no matter how it is connected?

Canon has a tool, My Printer on its support D/L S/W site for the printer. Have you tried running that? If so, what is the error you get?

Which mode do you normally use the PC on, wired or wireless? When wired, have you tried installing the printer s/w?

Also, when on that PC, use a BROWSER to log into the router and see if when connected wired and wireless if the printer shows in the Attached Device list on both ways?

Workgroup is what Windows uses to keep all the LAN devices on the same network. If they are not all using the same name they all can't be seen. READYSHARE STORAGE uses that setting as well. Once I forgot to change that as I'm not using the default name and I couldn't see the USB drive. Once I figured it out and change the name all was OK. If READYSHARE PRINTER was being used (as that would have had the printer plugged into the router's USB port) I was wondering if that was required (never used the s/w or that method so I didn't know)?

Message 5 of 15
seankc
Aspirant

Yes, it's an R7000, sorry about that. The My Printer canon tool is used when connected via usb. I use the wired connection for this PC. I can't connect to to routerlogin.com on the wired PC. I can connect on the wireless PC. The wired PC doesn't show as a connected device. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 6 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@seankc wrote:

You answer is now more confusing? Something is clearly wrong. The tool should not be used unless you can't connect?

Normally the router sends out the SSID and the Printer sees it and connects to it. It then gets an IP Address that other LAN devices can see and use by loading the printer driver and making that the default printer. If you can't see the printer, then the tool is use, the MY PRINTER tool.

Link to it:

https://canonusa.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?idx=M6BSBQ&mcxModel=&mcxPCategory=&mcx...

(Optional)This application facilitates basic maintenance and trouble-shooting for your product.

The MX470 is OLD and need to use the current model, MX472.

This part confuses me but might be a CLUE, "I can't connect to to routerlogin.com on the wired PC. I can connect on the wireless PC. The wired PC doesn't show as a connected device. "?

How MANY PC's are we talking about in that sentence, 1 or 2? If two, then the problem could be WHAT is ahead of the ROUTER? A modem or modem/router? Make and model please.

The hint is ROUTERLOGIN.COM. If you are using the router's DNS that gets the ISP's one, that URL is resolved to the router.

So as I see it, you have a configuration problem. One that doesn't make sense at all either. IF, and that is a big IF, you plugged the wired PC directly into one of the four ports of the R7000, then ROUTERLOGIN.NET will work as long as the router is configured to get the ISP's DNS. So that leads me to three possible conclusions:

• You have a BAD Ethernet cable.
  • There is a bad port on the PC.
  • There is a bad port on the router (easy to test by using a different port).

Assuming you can verify none of those are the case (basically because you said it worked before but things can break), then the problem would be 'where are you connecting the cable to?

I still don't understand the original comment in the 1st post, "When I connect to the wireless, I see a 2nd network for the wireless. Another network for the wired PC." How are you seeing 2 networks? Do you mean SSID's?

I am sort of thinking you DO have a MODEM/ROUTER and the WIRELESS is connecting to the MODEM. That would make sense to me in that you have TWO different LAN's, one from the MODEM/ROUTER and another from the Router which would be the ONLY place you could connect the WIRED PC to.

Can you LIST all SSID's the WIRELESS devices see?

If you are on Windows, please use the WINDOWS KEY+R and enter CMD and press enter. Then enter IPCONFIG /ALL on both the PC that can be both wired and wireless for each type of connection. It should look like this:

---------------------------

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Irv8700
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45:87e8%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:22:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:22:46 PM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 49852758

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR A6200 WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-BD-43-A5-8C-AA
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::835:5b00:35a2:407c%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:32:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:32:47 PM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 587775299

===========================

In the above, I had both types of connections enabled at the same time to show you what each should look like. I suggest you don't do that but enable each one individually and then cut and paste the data for each into a reply.

That will possibly clear all this up.

Message 7 of 15
seankc
Aspirant

Thanks for all of the info. Your thoughts about the network configuration got me thinking. The wired PC is connected to the router via a switch. I unplugged it from the switch and plugged it directly into the wireless router. Boom! Test page sitting in printer queue printed. It worked previously (before switching out routers) when plugged into the switch. However, this solution works fine. Thanks for all of your troubleshooting steps, I'm truly grateful!

Message 8 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] The wired PC is connected to the router via a switch. [...]

Shouldn't matter, unless it's a clever but misconfigured switch.
What is this "a switch."?

Message 9 of 15
myersw
Master

Have heard of daisy chained switches having issues which this would be, from switch port on router to switch port feeding PC: Should not cause issues, but does sometimes. Normally a MAC table issue in the switch as I recall. Would be interesting to see if the switch was just a dumb pass things through or if it was a "smart" switch. 

Message 10 of 15
seankc
Aspirant

It's a tp-link 5 port gigabit desktop switch. model tl-sg105

Message 11 of 15
IrvSp
Master

That is an unmanaged switch, see https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201807/20180725/7106508144_TL-SG116(UN)_1.0,TL-SG108(UN)_4.0,TL-SG10....

It 'switches' between devices connected to it, basically another, similar to a VLAN. If you had another PC connected to that switch, the 2 PC's could see each out. Can't see past the switch, and that is why ROUTERLOGIN.NET didn't work too, you were only talking to the switch,

Message 12 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] tl-sg105

> That is an unmanaged switch, [...]

That much is true.  I'd expect it to be trouble-free in any ordinary
configuration.  (If you make a loop, then you're on your own.)

> It 'switches' between devices connected to it, [...]

Apparently, at least one of us has no idea what a network switch
actually does.  Among other things, I claim, it does not "switch

devices"; it switches packets.

> [...] similar to a VLAN [...]

No.  Not even close.  (Hence the two different, dissimilar terms.)

What it _does_ do is not send every message to every device, once it
has figured out where a particular device is connected.  Which is what
happened in the early days of Ethernet, with a tapped coaxial cable, or
(stupid) hubs.

My router connects (only) to an unmanaged network switch, to which
various devices connect, and from which a tree of other unmanaged
switches branches out, with various other devices connected to those
other switches.  I've never had a problem getting any device anywhere on
the tree to talk to any other device anywhere else on the tree.

It all makes so little difference that I don't even maintain an
accurate list/map of what's connected to what.  Because it just doesn't
matter.  Which is also why the instructions for an unmanaged network
switch discuss nothing like that.  ("Easy to use")

It might be interesting to re-insert the switch into your
configuration, and see if things go bad.

And, as always, beware of free advice.

> [...] If you had another PC connected to that switch, the 2 PC's could
> see each out. [...]

"could see each other"?  "could each see out"?   Other?   In any case,
I claim that it's nonsense, but it'd be nice to know what was intended.

Message 13 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Boy, you sure like to nit-pick.

Like a VLAN, 2 LAN's, one router. 2 independent LAN's.

Yes, the switch 'switches' packet between devices connected to it. Each device sends proper packets to the switch and it sends to other device based on packet contents which they can address in the packet (see) even if done by programs only. 5 port switch, a LAN of up to 5 devices... all can share the input from the router as well.

Very simple to understand. The nuts and bolts of how it works, not needed here.

But go ahead, do what you like doing.

Message 14 of 15
antinode
Guru

> Boy, you sure like to nit-pick.

Perhaps, but if I see what looks like a claim that an unmanaged
switch should be expected not to work properly because such a device is
inherently useless, then that seems to me to be more than a "nit".  Or,
perhaps I simply misunderstood the unclear part(s) of your
"explanation".

> Like a VLAN, 2 LAN's, one router. 2 independent LAN's.

Huh?  How does a network switch make anything "independent" of
anything else?

> Can't see past the switch, and that is why ROUTERLOGIN.NET didn't work
> too, you were only talking to the switch,

What, exactly, _was_ that supposed to mean?  What, exactly, "Can't
see past the switch", and what good would a switch be if you couldn't
"see past" it?  I'm still mystified.

> But go ahead, do what you like doing.

I'm only trying to see if your "explanation" makes any sense at all.
So far, it's not happening.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7