wireless to wired?

ingber
Aspirant

wireless to wired?

At home my r7000 router connected via wired ethernet cable to my cable ISP works just fine, serving PCs via wired ethernet and phones via wireless.

On travel, many/most hotels server only wireless to rooms.  I take my router with me as I have it set up for secure wired and wireless connections.  I would like to get a wireless router/receiver to the hotel's wireless, to which I can connect via wire my r7000 router.  I understand I would have to set up a different SSID for the wireless router/receiver.

I would like some suggestions and URL to setup guides for a good relatively inexpensive receiver/router I can take on travel.

Message 1 of 8
William10a
Master

Re: wireless to wired?

The router does not have a wiresless bridge mode

Message 2 of 8
ingber
Aspirant

Yes, I know that the r7000 can only connect wired to a provider.  That is the reason for my posting.  I want to connect the r7000 via wire to another receiver/router; this other router/receiver connect wireless.

I know that routers can be chained.  I did with some time ago:

r7000 -> dlink-825 -> ISP modem

I want to get some feedback on a wireless -> wired router to which I can connect my r7000.

For example, engeniustech.com makes such routers.

Message 3 of 8
William10a
Master

The router connecting to the wifi source would need a third party firmware that supports the needed bridge mode.

Message 4 of 8
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

U take that huge thing on trips? Why not get a travel router?
Message 5 of 8
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Hi - I really don't think that this makes any sense at all.

If you somehow got your router to hook up wirelessly to their network (with one or more bulky devices), you would still be at the mercy of the security between your router and their network,

Aren't you better off just using an appropriate firewall and VPN?

I have been a business traveler since the 90's and never had a problem with the proper PC firewall and avirus settings.

R

Message 6 of 8
ingber
Aspirant

I have dd-wrt with openvpn client (to my openvpn server blocking malware, etc.) and dnscrypt on my Netgear r7000.  I have MAC-address required for my connections, etc.  I think my idea makes perfect sense to me. 

I think I have the answer to my original and only query.  I will have to further investigate the lead I got on the engeniustech router.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There are good small mobile routers out there that are specically designed for travel. 

http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/PR2000.aspx

D-Link has a few as well. 

My Setup Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Mode Mode | ISP SparkLight | Wifi Router Orbi CBR752 v4.6.7.7(Gateway Mode), Wired BackhaulSwitches Netgear GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.7.5(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.7.5, RBK50(v23), SXK30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v84), RAXE500(v78), EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3 and WNHDE111

Testing

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E