× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5Ghz-2 RAX 200

Julian_Jay
Tutor

5Ghz-2 RAX 200

I’ve configured the router in advanced mode, web based because I’m used to it. 2.4 and 5Ghz-1 works flawlessly. The 5Ghz-2 works approximately 3 day and drops to (mode up to 600) I have tested every channel, config, and parameters available without any results. It always defaults and roles back to (600.Mbps). I know the inference with radar, military etc.. It’s just enological. 
It drives me Maaaad!! All inputs are appreciated.

Many thanks…

Message 1 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@Julian_Jay wrote:

I’ve configured the router in advanced mode, web based because I’m used to it. 2.4 and 5Ghz-1 works flawlessly. The 5Ghz-2 works approximately 3 day and drops to (mode up to 600) I have tested every channel, config, and parameters available without any results. It always defaults and roles back to (600.Mbps). I know the inference with radar, military etc.. It’s just enological. 
It drives me Maaaad!! All inputs are appreciated.

Many thanks…

What part of the world are you trying to set this device to operate?  The reason I ask is different regions/countries have different rules for 5 GHz channel numbers and channel widths. 

Specifically what channel numbers are you trying to use and are you trying to use 80 or 160 GHz widths?

Message 2 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

Greetings! Thanks for the fast replay.
Europe/Sweden. I have used 80 and 160 Ch 100-128. I Know 118-128 are problematic. Also there isn’t any option regarding 80-160 MHz. It chooses automatically depending on the choice of modes and channels.
The mystery is why function perfectly in 3 days and fall back to lower mode, (Experiments has been done in month) which results in 80% speed reduction.
Strange!?
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Try setting your speed at the "up to 2400mbps" and then select channel 155. (if 5g-2 is the upper 5ghz band). 

Otherwise try channel 42 if its the lower channel. Again, with the "up to 2400mbps". all the other 80hz or higher bands are dfs channels. Those 2 zones aren't but they're only 80hz wide. 

What firmware is on the router? 

Message 4 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

I’ve already test these configurations. Unfortunately when choosing mode “up to 2400” I only see channels —>100 to 128<—

In the meantime I’m able to change regions though. I have several countries to choose from “ Vietnam, Emirates, Australia, India, Korea, Singapore, HongKong.

Perhaps we creatively able to sort out the proper “legal” frequencies. 😉

The current firmware version is V1.0.10.140_1.0.79. I’ll never downgrade, rather wait for update. 

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@Julian_Jay wrote:
Greetings! Thanks for the fast replay.
Europe/Sweden. I have used 80 and 160 Ch 100-128. I Know 118-128 are problematic. Also there isn’t any option regarding 80-160 MHz. It chooses automatically depending on the choice of modes and channels.
The mystery is why function perfectly in 3 days and fall back to lower mode, (Experiments has been done in month) which results in 80% speed reduction.
Strange!?

I do not have access to a RAX200 to check the menu.  Go to the Basic -> Wireless Advanced Wireless Settings page and scroll down to the bottom.  See attached.

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Kitsap Your showing it on a r9000 running voxel. Its now how its displayed on the RAX200. I have one and it sets it width by the "up to ****mbps" speed.

@Julian_Jay Your region might be half your reason. If you're limited in what channels you have available and those are dfs channels, it could be creating a lot of the issues. Did you have issues before? Has this been going on since you purchased it? Or is it new since a firmware change? 

Message 7 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

This has been happening from date one. Works perfectly in three days then suddenly roles back to “Up to 600”. ( Value reduces from 4800Mbs to 600)
Message 8 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

Would you please type all of the non DFS channels in Europe.(Or existing)
Please explain the differences between UNII-1, UNII-2, UNII-2 extended, UNII-3, and ISM.
Which are non DFS channels in these patterns? How to implement them relatively to my lovely Night Hawk RAX200.
Many thanks for your support.
PS. I live in a 2 floor house and have only one neighbour near me.

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Not trying to be an a-hole but there's google to go over all that. Its a bit pointless for me to retype whats already been explained by others with much better clarity. 

Same with the channels. 

you can start here though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

It has channels by region and what their broadcast info is. 

Message 10 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

I’ve searched and studied over several weeks. Every country and router has it’s own setup and frequencies. I’m new to Netgear, and the lame and unstable High frequency DFS, ax protocol bull**bleep**. So it seems the 168MHz doesn’t work with any of my 100-128 Chanel’s.
Conclusion : I need to downgrade to good old 600 or 1200 Mbit/s to enable the lower band stone age channels.
This is totally unacceptable. Keep in mind that RAX200 is a three band router.
I need one channel on 168MHz non DFS in high band 5Ghz ax protocol. To be precise, frequencies 5300-5800. How in earth am I going to mange that?
Any ideas? Dear community.

PS. Are all High bands channels DFS?
Message 11 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@Julian_Jay wrote:
I’ve searched and studied over several weeks. Every country and router has it’s own setup and frequencies. I’m new to Netgear, and the lame and unstable High frequency DFS, ax protocol bull**bleep**. So it seems the 168MHz doesn’t work with any of my 100-128 Chanel’s.
Conclusion : I need to downgrade to good old 600 or 1200 Mbit/s to enable the lower band stone age channels.
I need one channel on 168MHz non DFS in high band 5Ghz ax protocol. To be precise, frequencies 5300-5800. How in earth am I going to mange that?

PS. Are all High bands channels DFS?

I asked the question about where you were located and I know you are not in the US.

In your extensive search and study you should have come across Duckware.  The most recent and up to date background on Wi-Fi is found here:  https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 12 of 14
Julian_Jay
Tutor

Many thanks indeed everyone for your cooperation.
These explanation has enlightened me. Now I may rest. Problem solved.
“ However, if an AP detects, during normal operations, that a radar is using a particular channel that is currently in use, then it may communicate to associated WiFi clients to stop transmitting on that channel. (Please be aware that not all AP vendors may announce a channel change to clients.) The AP will then switch to another available DFS channel within the Channel Move Time, which is generally set to 10 seconds. This behavior will cause connected WiFi clients to be disconnected from the network for a period of time before re-connecting to a different channel.
It’s very important to keep this behavior in mind when enabling the DFS function. WiFi networks that are servicing real-time and mission-critical applications may want to avoid such disconnections caused by DFS frequencies.
DFS Channels and Countries
As we just described, the Channel Availability Check is required for DFS channels. One thing to keep in mind is that DFS channels will vary from country to country. You can check the Wikipedia page that lists WLAN channels to see your own country’s requirements for DFS and frequencies in general.
Conclusion
If you want to learn more about the DFS function in WiFi networks, I recommend reading the FCC document that describes this technology.
Also, WiFi expert Nigel Bowden has written a more complete and interesting article about DFS on his blog, which includes some background information on radar signals that use the same frequencies used by DFS in WiFi.”
Cheers…
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@Julian_Jay wrote:

PS. Are all High bands channels DFS? Channels 149 thru 165 are not DFS channels

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7