× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX 1800 keeps rebooting

crus4d3r_1211
Aspirant

AX 1800 keeps rebooting

Just got myself this router 3 days ago and its constantly rebooting itself out of nowhere and its driving me up the wall. And before you ask, no this has nothing to do with the router overheating. I have the thermostat set to 60 F and the weather outside is 45 F, so that rules that possibility out. I tried checking the logs, however they were cleared as soon as the router reboots. Does anybody have a fix for this issue?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
crus4d3r_1211
Aspirant

Re: AX 1800 keeps rebooting

Well everything was in default settings, save for the SSID and the WPA2 key. That being said, I found a fix to my problem. It turns out that one of the light switches in my apartment controls the outlet the router is plugged into, and so I would often accidentally switch my router off when I was trying to turn off my lights. I also downgraded the firmware just to err on the side of caution. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@crus4d3r_1211 wrote:

Just got myself this router 3 days ago and its constantly rebooting itself out of nowhere and its driving me up the wall.

What device are we talking about here?

AX1800 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number. Something like RAX###.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

If this is a new router, might be good idea to return it to whoever sold you the thing. You also have 90 days free support from Netgear to help with setting it up.

Message 2 of 7
crus4d3r_1211
Aspirant

It's an RAX10

V1.0.13.128

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I don't have a modem because the ISP I'm using told me that I won't need one. I just plugged the router in straight to the ethernet socket I have at home.

Message 3 of 7

@crus4d3r_1211 wrote:

I don't have a modem because the ISP I'm using told me that I won't need one. I just plugged the router in straight to the ethernet socket I have at home.

That puts us in unknown (to me) territory.

That sort of Internet could be something like fibre, with your own Internet (WAN) IP address. Or it could be a network with its own router somewhere in the basement that shares a WAN address with everything on the network.

How you set up the router is down to your ISP. Have you asked them?

@crus4d3r_1211 wrote:

It's an RAX10

V1.0.13.128

That's the latest.

Message 4 of 7
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @crus4d3r_1211 ,

Can we know what's function do you enable ?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
crus4d3r_1211
Aspirant

Well everything was in default settings, save for the SSID and the WPA2 key. That being said, I found a fix to my problem. It turns out that one of the light switches in my apartment controls the outlet the router is plugged into, and so I would often accidentally switch my router off when I was trying to turn off my lights. I also downgraded the firmware just to err on the side of caution. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7