× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 AX600 wi-fi dropping

mcullen5150
Follower

AX12 AX600 wi-fi dropping

Gateway Fiber router connected to AX6000. Cat6 connecting routers.

I had a R6900 when the wi-fi would drop several times during the day. It was 6 years old so I purchased the Nighthawk AX12 AX6000 router thinking that would solve my issue. It didn't. A couple of months later I exchanged it with a new NH AX12 AX6000 router thinking that would solve my issue. It didn't. I contacted Gateway Fiber. We checked internet speeds on my devices and they all were performing as expected. My up/download speeds are ~500 mpbs. Service tech came out and cleared all IP addresses and provided me with a new Gateway router. Within minutes of him leaving, wi-fi dropped.

I located an internet monitor app extension through Google and installed in on my PC (wireless) and my laptop (wired) to determine whether it was, definitively, a provider issue or a router issue. Over the past few days, my pc has dropped 4 to 9 times, all usually for 2 to 3 minutes before reconnecting. The laptop, plugged directly into the Nighthawk router, has not lost connection over the same period of time.

During troubleshooting the routers have been updated, rebooted, restarted and factory reset. I live in a single home with no interference from neighbors. Currently running v1.2.8.40. I have less than 30 devices connected, mostly at 2.4 (IoTs). TVs are connected at 5G, but not all on at one time. I know that 30 devices are the max for this router. It hasn't been until recently that I've had this number of devices connected to this router. I had about half the number of devices connected with the same wi-fi drop issue. 

I've seen a number of posts with intermittent wi-fi issues but none that cover this scenario. Maybe a better wi-fi router is needed? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: AX12 AX600 wi-fi dropping

@mcullen5150 wrote:

Gateway Fiber router connected to AX6000. Cat6 connecting routers.

I had a R6900 when the wi-fi would drop several times during the day. It was 6 years old so I purchased the Nighthawk AX12 AX6000 router thinking that would solve my issue. It didn't. A couple of months later I exchanged it with a new NH AX12 AX6000 router thinking that would solve my issue. It didn't. I contacted Gateway Fiber. We checked internet speeds on my devices and they all were performing as expected. My up/download speeds are ~500 mpbs. Service tech came out and cleared all IP addresses and provided me with a new Gateway router. Within minutes of him leaving, wi-fi dropped.

I located an internet monitor app extension through Google and installed in on my PC (wireless) and my laptop (wired) to determine whether it was, definitively, a provider issue or a router issue. Over the past few days, my pc has dropped 4 to 9 times, all usually for 2 to 3 minutes before reconnecting. The laptop, plugged directly into the Nighthawk router, has not lost connection over the same period of time.

During troubleshooting the routers have been updated, rebooted, restarted and factory reset. I live in a single home with no interference from neighbors. Currently running v1.2.8.40. I have less than 30 devices connected, mostly at 2.4 (IoTs). TVs are connected at 5G, but not all on at one time. I know that 30 devices are the max for this router. It hasn't been until recently that I've had this number of devices connected to this router. I had about half the number of devices connected with the same wi-fi drop issue. 

I've seen a number of posts with intermittent wi-fi issues but none that cover this scenario. Maybe a better wi-fi router is needed? Any help would be appreciated.

Additional information would be helpful.  The actual model number of your Netgear router.  Something that starts with an R...

Look on the label.

Also the manufacturer and model number of your ONT.  If it is also a router, two routers in a cascade configuration can interfere with each other and cause problems for all of the downstream devices.

Message 2 of 4

@mcullen5150 wrote:

Gateway Fiber router connected to AX6000.

Which ones? As @Kitsap says, there are lots of AX6000s, Netgear makes about half a dozen, and there are dozens, or more, Gateway Fiber routers from different makers.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Are you talking the RAX120? That's the only AX6000 with that firmware version on it. 

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

not sure if it'd help but you could try disabling sip/alg. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7