× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX12 RAX200 keeps disconnecting WiFi and ethernet

TrotterX
Star

AX12 RAX200 keeps disconnecting WiFi and ethernet

Hi my RAX200 keeps randomly disconnecting WiFi devices and Ethernet but not always all devices sometimes it will disconnect 5ghz devices and keep 2.4ghz and Ethernet and be connected to the modem and other times it will loose all devices and loose connection to the modem I have narrowed it down to the router and to get everything back online I have to hard reboot the router which in itself is an issue as since the latest update it will only connect to the modem if I power off the modem then power on the router and wait for that to boot up fully then power back on the modem it’s really strange I’ve tried the factory reset option and I’ve also re installed the software by downloading from netgear and manually selecting it in the software update via the routers settings does anyone have any idea and there doesn’t seem to be a time to when it disconnects it’s totally random and normally does it when there’s not much going on in the terms of network traffic i.e when there’s no one really using the internet
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 25
RajaDaja
Luminary

Hi,

Welcome to the club.

Anxiously awaiting a solution to this issue. This has happen to many time  on all firmwares. Most recently (1.0.2.8  & 1.0.2.88).  I think I just went about 7-8 days without a total disconnect on the 1.0.2.8 and BOOM! Today it happen. I upgraded again to the 2.88 V5 and then did a factory reset as I always do...........The funny thing is none of the +20 device are aware of the disconnect, all icons reflect an all is well condition. Anything needing a connection to the Internet couldn't connect, that's how it happen today, I was streaming music using a music app via wi-fi........Lost Connection! I then tried other functions requiring a connection and everything fail to load. All light indicators on  router indicated  that my network was up. Man! This is ridiculous!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 2 of 25
TrotterX
Star

Hi Rajadaja,
I’m getting exactly the same issues where the router indicates all is well to an extent I’m glad it’s not just me but that indicates that netgear are well aware of the issue and need to sort it ASAP I have multiple access points connected in my network as I live in a concrete constructed house so is really bad on WiFi coverage I have amplifi HD in all the bedrooms and when it stops working they indicate a DHCP fault and an ipv4 fault so not sure why it is doing this I’m glad I brought it from amazon as I’ll give it till the end of the month to sort it out then I’ll just send all of my netgear devices back including the switch’s and go back to ubiquiti devices or maybe Asus
Message 3 of 25
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? 

What modem is it connected to? 

Are you running with ipv4 or ipv6 enabled? 

Message 4 of 25
TrotterX
Star

Hi Plemans,

The firmware version is V1.0.2.88_1.0.50 which looks to be the latest on netgear a site as I reflashed the firmware on Sunday by downloading from netgear and manually uploading to the router.

My modem is the Virgin Media super hub 4 set to modem mode as I’m in the Uk and on there Gigabit package which is Docsis 3.1. They won’t allow 3rd party modems on there network as far as I’m aware I would love to switch it out for a decent modem and make use of Wan aggregation.

I’m using IPv4 should I switch on the auto IPv6 and see what happens I’m don’t really understand the difference between IPv4 and 6

Thanks
Message 5 of 25
plemans
Guru

I've seen multiple issues with the superhubs in "modem only" mode to where it isn't working properly. 

Have you tried putting it back in router mode (disable its wifi) and run the RAX in access point mode? it stinks to do because it disables the routing function on the RAX but if it makes the connection stable, it might be worth it. 

Message 6 of 25
TrotterX
Star

That has crossed my mind but then that sparks another question why would you have Netgears flagship router and only run it as an access point I’d be better off buying a cheaper access point and just leaving the super hub to do all the routing which is pants at it when you have a network of over 50 devices
Message 7 of 25
TrotterX
Star

Also I had amplifi Hd set as a mesh with the super hub on modem modem with the amplifi doing the routing with no problems then I upgraded to a netgear XR500 and turned the amplifi HDs in to access points with the netgear doing the routing also no problems and I then decided to upgrade to the RAX200 mainly to make use of WiFi 6 and that’s when the problems started 🤦‍♂️
Message 8 of 25
plemans
Guru

Have you tried running the super hub in router mode and then putting the netgears ip address in the superhubs dmz? 

Did you try the ipv6? 

Message 9 of 25
TrotterX
Star

Hi I’ve just switched IPv6 on in auto mode and clicked apply it updated the settings and set it to 6to4 tunnel is that correct ? Everything seems to be connected at the moment only time will tell and I’m not all that of an expert on this home networking thing what is a DMZ and how would that work if you dont mind me asking 🤔
Message 10 of 25
plemans
Guru

DMZ is just like it sounds. De-militarized zone. Basically it allows anything through without inspecting it. here's netgears article on it.
https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
Message 11 of 25
TrotterX
Star

Update I had to switch ipv6 back off as several devices on Ethernet could not get connection however I have tweaked a few settings firstly I switched off air time fairness and then changed the WiFi speed setting across the different channels back to default rather then them all being at there maximum and this looks to have stabilised everything I’ve had no drop outs since last week so fingers crossed this has solved the issue only more time will tell
Message 12 of 25
RajaDaja
Luminary

I’ve had a stable connection for about a week, no disruptions whatsoever! I’m on previous firmware (1.0.2.8 ) which allows ipv6 thru my ISP. New firmware 1.0.2.8.88 breaks a lot of things in my case( no ipv6, daily disconnects, frozen network.....
Message 13 of 25
RajaDaja
Luminary

One of my wi-fi 6 devices(iPhone 11 Pro) is getting almost 900 down! See attachment.
I repeat I’m on firmware 1.0.2.8
Message 14 of 25
lmanpunk
Star

I am on the same firmware. Minimum of one drop per day.  I do not believe Netgear will ever get the RAX200 to work correctly.

Message 15 of 25
RajaDaja
Luminary

Once a day!  

From my experiences F/W 1.0.2.8 is the most stable that allows ipv6. Have you tried downloading & installing firmware from Netgear.com(downloads) then factory reset afterwards?

Message 16 of 25
lmanpunk
Star

That is what I didaswell.  I will end up buying somwthing else and then taking a loss on the RAX200 by selling it to some other sucker.  My R7000 performs way better then the RAX200.  Netgear is so bad at firmware in recent years.

Message 17 of 25
ericfickes
Initiate

Same here.  RAX200, wifi and ethernet constantly disconnecting.  Fully regret buying this hardware.  My previous Nighthawk is still outperforming this new one.

Worst decision to upgrade to this router.

RAX200

fw: 1.0.2.98 _1.0.54.

Not only is this router terrible, the NIGHTHAWK is constantly binging for ads.  Great 😞

Message 18 of 25
LordCrucible
Initiate

I may take a loss as well and NOT ever buy any Netgear router again.  This is just plain stupid to have so many folks have this issue! I've been rebooting my router at least every other day to work thru this. I'm done -laying thst game!

Message 19 of 25
TrotterX
Star

I have given up on it and thankfully I brought mine through Amazon so I have just sent it back this has majorly damaged my loyalty to netgear I have now gone with an ASUS GT AX11000 and it is outstanding I’m not going to give the reasons why as this is not a discussion on who has the best router everyone can make there own mind up on that I’m just stating that this ASUS router actually works I do hope netgear sort the issue but I believe it is a hardware fault that they probably can’t fix with just firmware updates but for now I am no longer a netgear customer
Message 20 of 25
jimcrack69
Aspirant

Old thread, I know. I HAD the same issue. I would find myself on another network at home. I kept having to reconnected to the RAX200. The problem would come and go. I know ignoring it was wrong, but I had other networks and other priorities at the time.

Woke up this morning and it was off. Failed. It is making a 2 Hz click sound. I tried cycling power and but it still will not boot. Not sure if an automatic update bricked it or what. I will try to find another power supply to see if that is the issue.

Otherwise, I can find no way to contact support or get this repaired. $600 wasted? Please tell me there's another way to find support for this. My Amazon return window closed and the netgear sites shows that I'm eligible for zero support through all listed channels.

Message 21 of 25
plemans
Guru

@jimcrack69 I'd recommend starting your own thread. How old is the router?

Message 22 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

If the routers hardware has failed you log into mynetgear.com and start a RMA. 

Message 23 of 25
jimcrack69
Aspirant

Both are 13 months old. Any option to get hardware support from the site is disabled.

When I called, I was told “no” when I asked for an RMA because it was out of warranty. I was told that Netgear does not repair hardware that is out of warranty, even for a price.

It feels like a hopeless solution. I regret spending that much money. I thought they would last at least until the next technology evolution. I feel dopey for buying WiFi 6 routers before I could fully realize the benefits.
Message 24 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree they have the nerve to sell a $600 piece of crap and not support it even though everyone has the same issues with the router and they don't refund the router either so I am stuck with it or sell to some unsuspecting fool. I bought an Asus router and this will go on ebay. I will never by anything with the netgear name on it ever!!!

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7